English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Collections (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   BS1 Collection - awesome looking haul of disks (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=90126)

LoneWolf 20 January 2018 17:02

Awesome! :bowdown downloading and following

SimonV 20 January 2018 18:34

1 Attachment(s)
and some more ....

ASM68 21 January 2018 05:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by icycool (Post 1213252)
@mai, contact me in #c= (ircnet) I have some disks to contribute!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmb (Post 1213054)
haha, sorting out files, most of them are already with/in tosec.
fopr the rest i am making batches as i go, submitting them to tosec ppl to check them out.

nothing will be lost ;)

Thanks to both of you!

ASM68 21 January 2018 05:38

@ all
If you or even someone you know has got a collection (even small would be great, because there could be an undumped disk in it) please convert all to ADF and upload somewhere.
Do not hestitate to upload if you are unsure if it is already dumped!

Qube 21 January 2018 11:35

This is a great effort, thanks to all involved!

I'm just working through some old archives myself, I'm using ADF-Workshop to convert them from DMS to ADF, and running TOSEC v2017-11-01 against them etc. to eliminate known disks.

First batch is nearly written up, 92 disks (80MB), mostly 1986-1989 compilations etc. Not matched in TOSEC from what I can tell so far. May contain a bunch of new alts [a] etc., unsure.

Should I put them in the Zone when ready, or should I put them on the FTP into an uploads folder for somebody to check over?

I also have a bunch of random LHA/LZH archives of software, plus a number of trainers & patches of which some are in DMS forma - I'll take a look at this stuff after doing the full disk images first.

This stuff may have already been seen, or stored somewhere, but I'm just asking in case they are missing from the TOSEC/official collections etc. and somebody wishes to check over them?

Cheers,

Q;

dirkies 21 January 2018 11:37

to the ftp uploads folder sounds like the best solution

dirkies 21 January 2018 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qube (Post 1213427)
First batch is nearly written up, 92 disks (80MB), mostly 1986-1989 compilations etc.

that sounds interesting btw, may recover some of the lost 1987 compilation disks from my collection, due to disk corruption. :great

DamienD 21 January 2018 11:44

So when are you doing to do your collection dirkies? :p

dirkies 21 January 2018 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1213432)
So when are you doing to do your collection dirkies? :p

Already done Damien :)
I was one of the first on this forum to release most of Boiler Room BBS, Boondocks BBS, Fortress BBS, BSA, and some more archive collections back in 2008. It was multiple gigabytes already back then. ;)

DamienD 21 January 2018 11:52

Nice one; for some reason I thought you still needed to do it.

...I've did mine also many years back and submitted to TOSEC. Well files, not disks --> files ;)

mark_k 21 January 2018 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qube (Post 1213427)
I'm just working through some old archives myself, I'm using ADF-Workshop to convert them from DMS to ADF, and running TOSEC v2017-11-01 against them etc. to eliminate known disks.

First batch is nearly written up, 92 disks (80MB), mostly 1986-1989 compilations etc. Not matched in TOSEC from what I can tell so far. May contain a bunch of new alts [a] etc., unsure.

For preservation purposes, you lose some "metadata" going from DMS to ADF.

(I'm assuming DMS files are all you have, no original disks. Or that maybe the DMS files are scene releases?)

When creating a .DMS file, unless the user specifies the NOZERO option, DMS omits tracks which it thinks are unused from the .DMS file. E.g. if you have a normal OFS/DOS disk which is half-full with files, about 40 tracks would be marked as unused in the DOS bitmap, so DMS won't record those tracks in the .DMS file (unless you used NOZERO). Thus whatever data was on those tracks is lost.

When it comes to converting DMS files to ADF, it's up to the conversion program what data it fills blank/empty/unused tracks with. So different conversion programs could give different ADFs (i.e. checksums/hashes don't match). That could be one reason for non-matching ADFs.

Qube 21 January 2018 17:13

The first set of disks I've converted are all just DMS, but I think they were just put together by someone at some point, they don't look like scene releases from their naming, certainly not the 1985-1989 stuff. I also don't know if these disks were modified before being captured into DMS by someone.

I figured ADF-Workshop was the right tool to convert these into ADF at this time under Windows, but I understand what you are saying about lost information if the user configured DMS a certain way, I guess hidden information could possibly not have been captued into the DMS file to begin with.

A load of DMS files I've converted have matched in TOSEC without any issues so those I've eliminated, it's just there are some unknown disks left over which someone may want to look at. Mix of games, compilations, some art disks, apps, random.

Q;

Edit - just checked some in ADF-Workshop, shows they used NoZero option, will note this for the converted disks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_k (Post 1213479)
For preservation purposes, you lose some "metadata" going from DMS to ADF.

(I'm assuming DMS files are all you have, no original disks. Or that maybe the DMS files are scene releases?)

When creating a .DMS file, unless the user specifies the NOZERO option, DMS omits tracks which it thinks are unused from the .DMS file. E.g. if you have a normal OFS/DOS disk which is half-full with files, about 40 tracks would be marked as unused in the DOS bitmap, so DMS won't record those tracks in the .DMS file (unless you used NOZERO). Thus whatever data was on those tracks is lost.

When it comes to converting DMS files to ADF, it's up to the conversion program what data it fills blank/empty/unused tracks with. So different conversion programs could give different ADFs (i.e. checksums/hashes don't match). That could be one reason for non-matching ADFs.

SuperPlay 21 January 2018 20:31

Just a quick post to pass on my many thanks for this great project :)

mark_k 21 January 2018 21:26

Another not-obvious-from-filenames set of disks from part 39, again sorting by date helped to find them.
These are all part of/related to AmigaTeX:
Latex Final disk 1.adf to Latex Final disk 4.adf, ok files.adf, verscheidenes.adf, schwarz-schwarz.adf, schwarz-braun.adf, schwarz-rot.adf, schwarz-orange.adf, schwarz-gelb.adf, schwarz-grun.adf, orange-schwarz.adf, orange-braun.adf, orange-orange.adf, orange-rot.adf

Sinphaltimus 21 January 2018 21:55

Just wanted to let you know that 2 of the *cleaned* files have their links broken or are missing.

Not Found
The requested URL /bs1/cleaned/BS1 part 35_clean.7z was not found on this server.

Not Found
The requested URL /bs1/cleaned/BS1 part 37_clean.7z was not found on this server.

Steffest 22 January 2018 07:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus (Post 1213604)
Just wanted to let you know that 2 of the *cleaned* files have their links broken or are missing.

Indeed. Thanks. Fixed!

NLS 22 January 2018 09:05

I expected much slower progress to be honest.
Great that in a few days you are already over 50%!

I suspect the clean up will take more time. :D

dlfrsilver 22 January 2018 10:23

It takes a lot of time because in some packs only 5% are Tosec known. the remaining is new disks to check and rename.

NLS 22 January 2018 13:42

Well that's good (that only 5% is in TOSEC).

fryguy 22 January 2018 14:42

Thanks for all the work, i know how boring it is to dump floppys :)