English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New Arculator: (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=46763)

Charlie 15 August 2009 19:39

New Arculator:

Not exactly much to do with the Amiga, I know, but still good news for retro-computing.

Tom Walker the author of Arculator has just released a big update.

RiscOS fans I'm sure will be most happy but for those not in the know Arculator is the emulator for 'classic' RiscOS machines: 'Arcs'.
Think of this as being equivalent to UAE for 'classic' Amigas.

My congratulations to Tom and my appreciation for his hard work.

Bloodwych 15 August 2009 19:49

Thanks for the info. :)

I have only used Red Squirrel and, last I checked, it hasn't been updated in ages.

Is this better?

TCD 15 August 2009 19:51

Indeed great news :great Thanks for sharing this Charlie and congratulations to Tom aswell here :)

prowler 15 August 2009 21:09

Thanks for the news and the link, Charlie. :great

And thanks to Tom for the continuing development of Arculator. :bowdown

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodwych (Post 583873)
I have only used Red Squirrel and, last I checked, it hasn't been updated in ages.

Is this better?

Arculator emulates the Archimedes range of machines, so this will be better if you wish to use RiscOS 3.11 or earlier.

If you wish to use RiscOS 3.5 or above, then you will need RPCEmu, which was also developed by Tom Walker up to version 0.7. Later versions are available here:
http://www.marutan.net/rpcemuspoon/

Edit: I didn't realize it has been more than two years since the last Arculator update! :shocked

Retro-Nerd 15 August 2009 22:05

Quote:

ADP protected disc image support
Great. Works flawless here. Just tested "The Last Ninja" from the QubeServer. Is this the original full version or still a demo? I still can't pickup anything. :great

Kyon 16 August 2009 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodwych (Post 583873)
Thanks for the info. :)

Is this better?

it seems better ;)

Charlie 16 August 2009 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd (Post 583924)
Great. Works flawless here. Just tested "The Last Ninja" from the QubeServer. Is this the original full version or still a demo? I still can't pickup anything. :great

Yes, the .apd is indeed the full version. Pick up with 'P'. (Yes, I know that's usually pause)

BTW: Is it time you changed your avatar RN?

Just a thought. ;)

P.S.
RiscOS machines come in roughly two types:
-'Classic' Machines, 'Arcs'.
-'Modern' Machines, RiscPC & such-like.

Arculator emulates to former, RedSquirrel the latter though if emulating a 'modern' system I'd go for RPCEmu...

...VA5000 is a commercial Arc emulator & VirtualRiscPC a commercial, um, RiscPC emulator.
...There's other emulators to for DOS, Linux, RiscOS...

...Tom's emulators are, of course, just fine and dandy.

Kyon 16 August 2009 20:42

thats very good info my friend ;)

Retro-Nerd 16 August 2009 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie (Post 584190)
Yes, the .apd is indeed the full version. Pick up with 'P'. (Yes, I know that's usually pause)

Thank again for the hint. Now i can play it. :D :great

Quote:

BTW: Is it time you changed your avatar RN?

Just a thought. ;)
Nah, maybe laffer. ;)

Kyon 16 August 2009 20:52

charlie you have got news for sensi soccer ? :(

Retroplay 16 August 2009 21:01

Quote:

- A3010 joystick emulation
How on earth do I enable that ?
Playing Last Ninja with mouse or keyboard is just a pain in the hiney.

Retro-Nerd 16 August 2009 21:06

Looks like it works only with games which support a joystick. For Last Ninja: Use JoytoKey.

http://www.brothersoft.com/joytokey-106303.html

Charlie 16 August 2009 21:25

Now we have .apd (Thanks Tom) Sensi's 'just' a case of someone imaging the original floppy - I haven't got a copy but someone will.

Now, joysticks and the Arc:
It could be said this is an area where Acorn dropped the ball...
...The original 'standard' was the same analogue port as the Beeb - lovely except Acorn didn't fit one to any of their 32bit computers, you needed an upgrade. So that wasn't well supported.
...Next they went for an Atari-type port with a new standard - less lovely but ok except Acorn only fitted an Atari-port to the A3010. So also not well supported though better than the analogue standard.

The result?
Many (especially early) games didn't support a joystick at all.
Lots of peeps made adaptors for other ports that usually followed the Acorn digital standard.

So...
With luck you have some form of Acorn digital-standard supporting joyport.
(Acorn's own module for the A3010 or an equivalent for another computer)
But
You have a collection of games that wouldn't know a joystick if they sat on it.

The solution is as follows:
-Digital joystick with driver that follows Acorn's standard. (Here, PC+Arculator)
-!Joyfix - An app that can map keys from your chosen game to said joystick. (I have a feeling that's included in the Classic RiscOS install ;))
Then a bit of fiddling to tell !Joyfix what keys to use if I haven't already done it for you.
-!MouseJoy (also included in Classic RiscOS) will emulate the Acorn digital standard with your mouse should you lack a stick AND can be used with !Joyfix if you wish.

Now don't you wish Acorn had put a joy port in more of their d*mn computers as standard?

Retroplay 16 August 2009 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie (Post 584214)
Now don't you wish Acorn had put a joy port in more of their d*mn computers as standard?

Absolutely.
I guess I'll use Xpadder for my joystick needs. :D