English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Amiga vs Games (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91352)

MigaTech 17 March 2018 22:40

Amiga vs Games

Continuing with the Amiga vs threads, this one should prove quite interesting.

In this thread I challenge the EAB community to try and answer the following questions, if you can?:D

The Questions

1. What was the very first video game released for Amiga? <(I mean the very first!)
2. What was the very last video game released for Amiga? <(During/After Amiga commercially.)
3. What was the most successful Amiga video game? <(Officially and in EAB members opinion.)
4. What was the worst box office bomb Amiga video game? <(Officially and in EAB members opinion.)
5. What was the best backstreet video game for Amiga? <(Officially and in EAB members opinion.)
6. Which video game should of but never was released for Amiga? <(Officially and in EAB members opinion.)
7. What's the most expensive Amiga video game? <(To develop time, cost and sale price)
8. What Amiga video game should of seen a sequel and never did? <(Not aimed at any titles, just EAB members opinions on this one!)
9. Who was the best Amiga video game developer? <(Officially and unofficially.)
10. Anything else in general that is related to the Amiga video games industry! <(Feel free to have your say on this subject.)

The answers can consist of official releases and non official, in other words backstreet and PD can be included. Also titles that were never completed or cancelled. Question 10 just opens this thread up for general discussion on all Amiga video game titles.

Some of these questions are aimed at EAB members own honest opinions and some are actual fact answers required. Yes some can be doubled answered such as question 2, which means during Amiga being sold commercially and after.

Let's see how many of you really know your Amiga video games!:evilgrin

grelbfarlk 17 March 2018 23:46

Not good at trivial but here goes:
1. What was the very first video game released for Amiga? All I remember was Marble Madness-I'm sure this is wrong. Brataccas was my second Amiga game.
2. What was the very last video game released for Amiga? Must be Lumberjack Reloaded.
3. What was the most successful Amiga video game? Shadow of the Beast-though it was not a good game.
4. What was the worst box office bomb Amiga video game? Absolutely must be Rise of the Robots
5. What was the best backstreet video game for Amiga? No idea
6. Which video game should of but never was released for Amiga? Too many to pick one
7. What's the most expensive Amiga video game? How about that VR game with the Pterodactyl
8. What Amiga video game should of seen a sequel and never did? Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory 3,4
9. Who was the best Amiga video game developer? Psygnosis
10. Anything else in general that is related to the Amiga video games industry! FIVE!

McTrinsic 18 March 2018 00:45

I guess for 1. you could cheat. Mindwalker was at least in Europe distributed with the Amiga so technically it's the first. If it was the same in the US.

Amigajay 18 March 2018 09:04

1. What was the very first video game released for Amiga? <(I mean the very first!) Well like any computer, computers play ‘computer games’ America coined the term ‘video game’ which was used for console and arcade games, sadly due to i guess lazyness most are known by the latter nowadays. Answer to the question though, pretty sure there like any launch there was 2-4 at the same time, so there wasnt a single title to name
2. What was the very last video game released for Amiga? <(During/After Amiga commercially.) Games are still being released, no fine line to tell when commercially dead, was in April 94 when they filed for bankruptcy?, when C;UK closed?, or Escom or whoever shut? Apano Sin released on disk for ocs in 2000, aga disk game in 1999, cd32 game in 1998, cdtv in 1994, then after homebrew mail order games appeared more recently..
3. What was the most successful Amiga video game? <(Officially and in EAB members opinion.) No official sales figures for Amiga games, so no one knows, i would guess Lemmings, Kick Off 2
4. What was the worst box office bomb Amiga video game? <(Officially and in EAB members opinion.) Again no way of saying, could be a mail order game with zero orders
5. What was the best backstreet video game for Amiga? <(Officially and in EAB members opinion.)dont think any backstreet boys games for released :laughing
6. Which video game should of but never was released for Amiga? <(Officially and in EAB members opinion.) For me any of the CD only games for the CD32, World Cup Golf, Cyberwar, Megarace, Lost Eden etc
7. What's the most expensive Amiga video game? <(To develop time, cost and sale price) Dont think you find answer to develope cost, games like Walker were developed over 3-4 years, sale price, Microcosm was £44.99, probably something else cost more with 20 disks and manual!
8. What Amiga video game should of seen a sequel and never did? <(Not aimed at any titles, just EAB members opinions on this one!)Hunter, what loved a sequel for AGA machines, better optimised with help with more developers and cd32 version with better controls and cd audio.
9. Who was the best Amiga video game developer? <(Officially and unofficially.)How can you say officially who was best!? My opinion, who helped sell the most Amigas then no doubt it was Psygnosis, who pushed the Amiga and took games out of their monitor limits with overscan and 50hz gaming in most games then Team 17.

MigaTech 18 March 2018 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by grelbfarlk (Post 1227804)
Not good at trivial but here goes:
1. What was the very first video game released for Amiga? All I remember was Marble Madness-I'm sure this is wrong.

Yes I agree, this is a good contender for being the very first Amiga game! Didn't the makers of Spin Dizzy mug the design of Marble Madness to make that game possible?

Also in reference to Video Game this is the correct term for Computer Game. Hence why I used it. Although in the UK, computer game was the preferred term.

I see already in the premature stages of this thread that Psygnosis is showing as the best software house. Although I am please that Team 17 has already been mentioned too. Team 17 was my favourite video games developer.

Games such as Full Contact, Project X, Super Frog, Super Stardust, Overdrive, Assassin, Apidya, Alien Breed, Body Blows and of course WORMS!!

In the case of Pygnosis I am guessing Lemmings? Can't be Shadow of the Beast on account that was Reflections.

Anyways, it is good to see that 3 members so far were brave enough to step up to this challenge. How many more members think they know their Amiga video games?

idrougge 18 March 2018 15:47

What is the point of this thread? Each of its points is the topic of a thread of its own.

MigaTech 18 March 2018 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrougge (Post 1227993)
What is the point of this thread? Each of its points is the topic of a thread of its own.

The point of this thread is the vs term, this is why I started the Amiga vs threads. This thread is all about the Amiga vs Games. So members can give their opinions on which they think were the first and last to the best and worst. Also for those that know, they can offer some actual facts about the questions asked.

It is interesting to find out what we all do not know about the Amiga video games industry. I know there are some members here on EAB, that could answer all these questions with the actual answers and not in just their opinion.

@idrougge, Just because there are 10 questions doesn't mean you have to answer all of them. You might only be attracted to certain questions? If this is the case, then just answer those. Its also a bit of fun and makes a refreshing change in the forum.

I trust I have offered enough values to why there is a point to this thread?

NorthWay 18 March 2018 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by MigaTech (Post 1227790)
1. What was the very first video game released for Amiga? <(I mean the very first!)

"Monkey Business" from The Other Valley Software.
This is backed up by Peter Olafson of Amiga World magazine: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...es/sEoIsRdzmTA

Quote:

Originally Posted by MigaTech (Post 1227790)
9. Who was the best Amiga video game developer? <(Officially and unofficially.)

Person or company? I have a tie between Martin Pedersen and S0DAN. (Person. If you have some other good names I'll reconsider.)

alkis21 18 March 2018 20:21

1. What was the very first video game released for Amiga? I dunno, Mind walker?
2. What was the very last video game released for Amiga? No such thing, games are still being released.
3. What was the most successful Amiga video game? Sensible World of Soccer?
4. What was the worst box office bomb Amiga video game? Rise of the Robots
5. What was the best backstreet video game for Amiga? Not sure what that means, if you mean amateur/shareware game then Deluxe Galaga
6. Which video game should of but never was released for Amiga? Gyruss
7. What's the most expensive Amiga video game? A Sierra game I bet, may Space Quest IV?
8. What Amiga video game should of seen a sequel and never did? Loom
9. Who was the best Amiga video game developer? Ron Gilbert
10. Anything else in general that is related to the Amiga video games industry! Many already know this, but I just want to say it every chance I get: There's an annual Kick Off 2 World Cup held on real Amigas, there has been one since 2001 and everyone is welcome to attend - this year in Bournemouth, UK

MigaTech 18 March 2018 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthWay (Post 1228042)

Interesting, I do remember reading about this in an Amiga magazine back in the mid 90's but forgot about it. The game does look similar to Donky Kong but is earlier enough to be a promising candidate for the very first Amiga video game. < Can any other member verify this and prove that NorthWay could be right or wrong?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkis21 (Post 12280425)
5.What was the best backstreet video game for Amiga?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkis21 (Post 12280425)
Not sure what that means, if you mean amateur/shareware game then Deluxe Galaga.

This means back bedroom or unknowns who program games, for the Amiga computer series. Deluxe Galaga what an interesting choice!

As for the box office bomb: Not looking good for Rise of the robots so far! Must of been all those disks! Maybe the S*** movement? Shame really because the game box art looked promising.

Photon 18 March 2018 21:57

Is this for homework? :) As you can tell I'm with idrougge here... there will just never be consensus.

First game is the exception. It should be one of these, or a game HOL hasn't heard of. It has heard of Scott Spanburg/Other Valley, so they are/he is a contender.

Last game for me would be the last one released for OCS/ECS/AGA, and then you only have to look back a month or two. If there's a cutoff date it will be subjective and not very useful again.

Best dev for me would be a prolific individual or dev team with a consistent high quality to their games, I would say in game ideas and game design more importantly than in high performance. It's gotta be fun to pick up and interesting enough to keep playing. And part of that burden lies on the player, so it would be hard to pick one without it being subjective. All else is a poll, which will just be Most Popular", not Best.

It's more interesting to me to talk about the breadth of game ideas flourishing and exploding during the Amiga years, while consoles stuck with the safe old. So many new ideas that later got onto PC. These games started genres. Never ceases to impress me, what a legacy! :great

If we're talking best publishers, then I think many will agree Psygnosis was a powerhouse and kept its style of games (with a few exceptions).

malko 18 March 2018 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photon (Post 1228119)
[...] It should be one of these,

Oh man ! One on one ! such a great game !!!

NorthWay 21 March 2018 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthWay (Post 1228042)

BTW, I still haven't found an original of it nor a copy. Unlike Mindwalker, Delta Patrol and Brataccas.
(I have an original MW disk, but I believe it has been written to or copied over since new - it was part of a used games lot.)

(Bonus off-topic: Can anyone point me to an in-depth explanation of the early EA protection. I.e. Archon. One on one, Marble Madness etc. Especially why it freaks on 2.x+)

Seiya 21 March 2018 17:07

Hacker and Mindshadow

malko 21 March 2018 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthWay (Post 1229077)
BTW, I still haven't found an original of it nor a copy. Unlike Mindwalker, Delta Patrol and Brataccas.[...]

If I recall correctly, the original copy of Brataccas I have was bundled with the game "Arena".

Playaveli 22 March 2018 04:05

3. What was the most successful Amiga video game?
Should be a close race between Lemmings, Worms & SWOS!

6. Which video game should of but never was released for Amiga?
Alley Cat (MS-DOS) :)

7. What's the most expensive Amiga video game?
Bi-ing? 17 floppies... LOL!

9. Who was the best Amiga video game developer?
Single person... Ron Gilbert! Combo... Sensible Software!

nobody 22 March 2018 06:00

3. What was the most successful Amiga video game? Just a guess, Lemmings.
6. Which video game should of but never was released for Amiga? SNES arkanoid.
7. What's the most expensive Amiga video game? The most expensive I bought was Rise of the dragon. It came with 12 or so disks and a comic.
8. What Amiga video game should of seen a sequel and never did? Monkey island 2
9. Who was the best Amiga video game developer? Close one between Factor 5, Thalion, Graftgold, Sensible, Dma design. Hard to choose.