English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Sprites (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Complete newbie (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22094)

MadMunkey 26 February 2006 18:29

Bloodwych Ripping

Sorry to be a pain in the butt but anyone able to explain to a complete newbie how to rip stuff, I've got winuae and steem setup but want to rip gfx from bloodwych.

I also downloaded Gfxrip 1.05

Any advice welcome, cheers!

method 26 February 2006 19:00

I posted a brief thread covering the basics which has been stickied ("Ripping Sprites - Technique") which may be of some help.

I'll try to make it a bit more comprehensive when I get time.

(Also available from here)

MadMunkey 26 February 2006 21:03

Yeah i read that thanks, but still not getting anythink I can get kind of a picture in black and white and they are still distorted is gfxripper the best program to use? anyone tried to got anything from bloodwych before?

method 26 February 2006 21:10

Bloodwych probably isn't the best one to practice with (I still can't rip that one!!.. whereas others have been much easier.)

MadMunkey 26 February 2006 21:30

haha dame it, always the way. Bloodwych is the only one im interested in :) Is there any way to adjusted the X Size by 1 rather than 8?

method 27 February 2006 12:34

1 Attachment(s)
I've found a way to rip all the graphics out of Bloodwych but it involves a load of manual work in Paint Shop Pro!!! ... or at least... it did...

to get around having to do this manual work over and over again.. I've written a lame little VB application that helps extrapolate every other line and rebuild the images as they should be viewed.

Really though.. it's only going to be useful for a small number of games.

BippyM 27 February 2006 12:38

@method maybe you could team up with Tomcat so this function can be added to gfxripper directly?

Sounds cool

method 27 February 2006 13:52

1 Attachment(s)
Tomcat codes in C... I code in everything but C !!! :(

I've got a couple of ideas for Tomcat to play with, but it just depends if he think he'll have time to add anything to gfxrip!?!

The function my app does is simple... it just splits every other line up so you end up with two images.. and all it does to do that is call the BitBlt windows API. (He could code this in 2 minutes too.. i'm sure.) ;)

Anyway, whatever I do here, everyone is welcome to the source code.

MadMunkey 27 February 2006 14:52

Well u manage to get colour in your gfxrip :) any tip on how you got the pallet as all i could get was black and white stuff :)

Cheers for the files I'll play around, (Im sure i did this before though without too much hassle but cant remember if it was on ST or Amiga and also what program i used... Dame it!!)

method 27 February 2006 15:36

1 Attachment(s)
----------

To get the gfx I got from Bloodwych..

Set Height to whatever you're comfortable with ("W" and "S" control height)
Set Width to 16 ("Q" and "A" control width)
Set Sprite Mode to 'ST' ("M" toggles through sprite modes)
Set Bitplanes to 4 ("E" and "D" control number of bitplanes)

Then find the images you want to view (this is where you are I guess???)

Now to find the correct colors...

Press "L" to cycle through the available palettes. (Just use the default "PalE" palette-search-mode for Bloodwych)

If it doesn't appear to use the correct colours... use the left and right arrow keys... this will effectively rotate the 4 bitplanes.

-----------

Palette Searching In General

There are different types of "palette-search" modes.
You can toggle through these with the 'Z' key.

Then, to jump between the different palettes, you press "L".

Hungry Horace 27 February 2006 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by method
if it doesn't appear to use the correct colours... use the left and right arrow keys... this will effectively rotate the 4 bitplanes.

the blue / red / white / grey one (as seen in the pic) is definately right if theres any confusion on this.

this is because the game remaps the colours for different characters / monsters / objects etc... i had the beginning of some sprite rips a long time ago, but sadly these were lost in an HD crash. :(

method 27 February 2006 18:22

1 Attachment(s)
Also.. as a quick reference... the main keys I use for 90% of ripping are highlighted in the attached image.

MadMunkey 27 February 2006 18:27

sorry have to ask, what do you use for files, saved memory state? etc...

method 27 February 2006 18:46

I use WinUAE and "Save State" to ".USS" files. (Found under the "Misc" tab)

Hungry Horace 28 February 2006 00:50

with bloodwych tho might you not be better using the main bloodwych executable? what with it being an uncompressed dos file and everything? less data than a savestate.

dunno - just guessing - good luck madmunkey!

MadMunkey 28 February 2006 15:01

2 Attachment(s)
Does anyone else get the feeling it might be easyer doing screenshots for this game, Ive had a quick play and found the following parts...

Man this game it put together nicely, too bad that means its a pain to rip!

If anyone want to have fun with a gfx program and start putting stuff together feel free :)

MadMunkey 28 February 2006 18:54

3 Attachment(s)
I remember how i did it before, which seems alot easyer :)

I know it not Amiga but i used to use Ultimate Ripper for Steem and it works grate, can only seem to find these shots for bloodwych, amazing how they seemed to much ingame.

MadMunkey 28 February 2006 18:56

Wont let me upload any more :(

Photon 28 February 2006 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by method
Tomcat codes in C... I code in everything but C !!! :(

You have a friend in me. ;)

Hungry Horace 01 March 2006 00:50

that's more like it MunkeyMate!

the rips even look familiar now...

any chance of 16-colour gifs out of the ripping-proggie tho, rather than the jpgs?

i could cut all the right bits out in dpaint for you then then....