English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.CD32 Conversion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   CD32.co.uk's official list of wanted conversions (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80570)

earok 05 December 2015 01:33

CD32.co.uk's official list of wanted conversions

Here's our list of games we'd love to see on CD32, if anyone can help us with these we'd be hugely appreciative. Feel free to suggest your own of course ;)

Battletoads
Just having Jump as a separate button would put this miles ahead of the official release.

Doom
This would be a holy grail release, although we concede that it would be barely playable in a small window, even if it used an Akiko C2P routine.
- Biggest problem is obviously the 2mb RAM limitation. We'd be happy to receive a port that had significant SNES style cuts, for instance no floor or ceiling textures, no side views on the projectiles or monsters etc.
- NVRAM saving. While we're aware there's no way we can fit an entire save into NVRAM, just storing the start of level state would be more than enough.
- CDDA audio, I'm aware that the ports out there drain the CPU significantly when music is on, so I figured CD audio (eg, the 3D0 soundtrack) would be a solution to this.

Citadel
Extensive CD32 pad support required.

Jurassic Park AGA
Was actually slated for a CD32 release but never emerged. Other than using a CD loader to fit it into 2MB of RAM, extensive gamepad support would be required (Of course, it'd be great if the actual CD32 version emerged).

Max Rally
Some issues when booting from CD. I managed to get a mostly functional version of this but with a different (much smaller) Octamed song.

Moonstone
While the WHDLoad version has a few OS skips when running from a disc, a bigger issue would be the gamepad support required. In particular
- Support opening the inventory
- Support skipping the turn
- Support selecting which area to visit when you're overlapping two at once

Odyssey
Extensive CD32 pad support required, doesn't currently work with CD32 Load

Primal Rage
Requires a CD loader so it can fit into 2mb RAM.

Road Rash
Extensive CD32 pad support required

SQRXZ 3
Unlike the previous two games, this can only be ran from a floppy disk

Tony and Friends in Kellogg's Land
English edition (Prodigy crack)

Wolfenstein 3D
I started working on this myself but I doubt I'll ever finish it. Sound, full version and NVRAM saving is a must.

Xtreme Racing
We've already released this, but the checkerboard overlay is a nightmare. Some way of disabling that without Fast RAM - especially if the Akiko could be used for C2P to keep things smooth - would be amazing.

Misc AGA (only) versions wanted
* Fantasy Flyer
* Fatman
* Shaq Fu
* Street Racer

FORMERLY ON THIS LIST, NOW PENDING EVENTUAL RELEASE:
* Body Blows Galactic
* Capital Punishment (still some issues)
* Master Axe
* Powder
* Robocop 3
* Second Samurai
* Thunderhawk (potential release)
* Wrath of the Demon (still some issues

FORMERLY ON THIS LIST, NOW OUT!
* Apocalypse
* Zeewolf 1/2

Amigajay 05 December 2015 11:06

I love to see a double pack of unreleased Ocean games Liquid Kids and Snow Bros. Obviously the files are out there and both non AGA so enough ram free.

Retro1234 05 December 2015 12:53

maybe Doom with a tiny! .wad

ransom1122 05 December 2015 13:49

Any chance of Watchtower AGA with a custom soundtrack?

SolderPCB 05 December 2015 16:17

I think most practical releases would be.

Moonstone: Whdload sources available + add a couple of mapped CD32 buttons

Jurassic Park AGA: Psygore worked on that slave.

Primal Rage: only needs the CD Loader

Second Samurai: CD Loader with extra cd32 button remap

Honorable mentions would be Cool Spot and Global Gladiators just the CD loader would be required for them.

Other AGA versions that would just require a CD Loader would be games like Shaq FU, Body Blows, Fatman: Caped Consumer, Street Racer

Does anyone know what Shaq FU AGA does over the ECS version?

Cobe 05 December 2015 19:06

Speaking of Doom, don't forget Wolfenstein

earok 05 December 2015 23:30

Thanks for the suggestions guys:

@AmigaJay I'll keep it in mind. They could possibly go as part of a broader "Amiga Games that Weren't" collection!

@BooBoo I came close to getting Doom to work on stock CD32 with a minimalist wad, but couldn't quite pull it off (my best attempts required 2.5mb~ for RAM). In any case I figured that configuring the ADoom source code specifically for CD32 would be a better approach.

@ransom I've had limited success with injecting music into games before, though I'll keep it in mind.

@soldierpcb Since Psygore solved the John Twiddy loader issue in Putty Squad, I'm under the impression he'll eventually do the same for Cool Spot and Global Gladiators ;)

Body Blows AGA is HD loading anyway, no special loader needed. Body Blow Galactic AGA would require a loader though. I've added that and Shaq Fu to an honourable mentions list.

@cobe I'm sure it'll be done someday ;) but I can't afford to put any time into it at the moment.

Amiga1992 11 December 2015 19:37

Please convert all games that currently have a CDTV bootstrap to a proper CD32 bootstrap (whatever you can find on the EAB FTP, stuff like Another World)

Maybe a compilation ANOTHER WORLD/FLASHBACK with Flashback supporting all CD32 buttons for actions?

jotd 11 December 2015 21:08

Is there a synthetic, up to date, wishlist for cd32 conversions/stuff needed like keys redirected to pad, etc. ?

Amiga1992 11 December 2015 21:27

I don't think so, but I could start one if there's interest.
I think there's a lo of old 'conversions" that need rework too. And anything that flashes like crazy, if adapted to an RNC loader or something nicer, would be VERY welcome.

FOL 11 December 2015 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1055612)
Is there a synthetic, up to date, wishlist for cd32 conversions/stuff needed like keys redirected to pad, etc. ?

Any chance of an update to your CD32 button redirect program.
I wanted to play Subwar, but Subwar uses the F keys for view change.
Be nice to be able to define which keys we want to use for extra buttons.
I also noticed with Roadkill, if you select joypad, all joyport functions stop, so they must access the CD32 Pad differently.

earok 12 December 2015 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOL (Post 1055622)
Any chance of an update to your CD32 button redirect program.
I wanted to play Subwar, but Subwar uses the F keys for view change.
Be nice to be able to define which keys we want to use for extra buttons.
I also noticed with Roadkill, if you select joypad, all joyport functions stop, so they must access the CD32 Pad differently.

I didn't write the CD32 button redirect program unfortunately, that was Lorence Lombardo. I did write the basic "joypad" utility that I use for menu systems on the CD32.co.uk releases though, and I'm keen to make my own reverse engineered version of his utility.

Does it actually work with Subwar though? If it does (that in itself would be surprising, and very cool) we could presumably map the F keys to the second controller?

I had a quick look at Subwar's manual - pressing YELLOW+FWD is supposed to bring up a screens menu?

FOL 12 December 2015 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by earok (Post 1055667)
I didn't write the CD32 button redirect program unfortunately, that was Lorence Lombardo. I did write the basic "joypad" utility that I use for menu systems on the CD32.co.uk releases though, and I'm keen to make my own reverse engineered version of his utility.

Does it actually work with Subwar though? If it does (that in itself would be surprising, and very cool) we could presumably map the F keys to the second controller?

I had a quick look at Subwar's manual - pressing YELLOW+FWD is supposed to bring up a screens menu?

I know, hence I quoted jotd, ;).
Yes it does appear to work. Can really test all that well as it changes view.
Plus jotd's program allows multi key presses, others did not.

Did you get my other emails, on menu?

earok 12 December 2015 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOL (Post 1055672)
I know, hence I quoted jotd, ;).

Whoops! That was embarrassing :spin

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOL (Post 1055672)
Did you get my other emails, on menu?

I did, how many games did you want on the menu? I can make a grid of say 10 or so, you'll be able to edit the IFF afterwards to make it look how you want it.

Gzegzolka 12 December 2015 11:59

Oscar and Trolls - they are very average games, but with cd tracks and with better backgrounds (trolls) and extra levels (oscar). I think there could be extra button for jump.

Shadow Fighter - add cd32 pad support, 1 button joystick is not how that kind of games should be played ever never. Trust me. I would love to play it again but with Fightin'spirit like controls. Also prevent fighters from jumping back on start of the round.

Akira - this game is beyond fixing or patching.

Benefactor - add missing hi-score screen from floppy version, add lemmings tune for lemming Egyptian level and bundle this release with extra levels from aminet.

Black Viper - just lower sound effects and rise music volume.

Chuck Rock / Premiere - add both music and sound effects.

Fire Force - add missing floppy intro animations and add pad buttons support.

Lotus trilogy - add both music and engine effects.

Master Axe - this would be cool cd32 game if only have cd32 pad support and have bit more smooth animation.

Shaq fu - this game actually have cd32 pad support so I do not know why there's no cd32 release.

Lollypop - great platform game, it would be great if it have cd32 version with pad support.

earok 12 December 2015 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gzegzolka (Post 1055684)
Oscar and Trolls - they are very average games, but with cd tracks and with better backgrounds (trolls) and extra levels (oscar). I think there could be extra button for jump.

I'm not familiar with Trolls, but as far as I knew Oscar does have a jump button? I think it's the shoulder buttons. Regarding extra levels, do you have any idea how this could be done?

Quote:

Akira - this game is beyond fixing or patching.

I wouldn't be totally sure ;) I do think the Motorcycle sections are underrated, but the platformer sections could be made a whole lot better with some tweaks. In particular the stupid slipping off the edge of the platforms, but in general they could be made easier (increasing time available etc).

Quote:

Benefactor - add missing hi-score screen from floppy version, add lemmings tune for lemming Egyptian level and bundle this release with extra levels from aminet.

Not sure about all of that but I can't see why adding the aminet levels would be a problem.

Quote:

Fire Force - add missing floppy intro animations and add pad buttons support.

I didn't know about the floppy intro animations, it should be easy enough to bring them across one way or another. I love how they're a Commando reference. What's wrong with the pad support currently?

Edit: Maybe we could add the original footage from Commando :crazy

Quote:

Master Axe - this would be cool cd32 game if only have cd32 pad support and have bit more smooth animation.

Agreed but I don't know if it's possible in 2mb of RAM? JOTD might be able to chip in here.

Quote:

Shaq fu - this game actually have cd32 pad support so I do not know why there's no cd32 release.

There's a few reasons I guess. One is that the AGA edition won't fit in RAM when using WHDLoad. The other is there's a known gamepad issue where it won't read buttons, I figure it's probably the same issue as with SF2 and I could possibly fix it myself. I also ran into a bug when using WHDLoad where it'd crash in the options menu, which is needed to set two button mode. Finally, well.. I haven't had much demand for it ;)

Quote:

Lollypop - great platform game, it would be great if it have cd32 version with pad support.

It does have two button pad support, though I'm not sure how much work would be required to enable pause etc. We've chucked it on our Giana collection.

FOL 12 December 2015 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by earok (Post 1055676)
Whoops! That was embarrassing :spin

I did, how many games did you want on the menu? I can make a grid of say 10 or so, you'll be able to edit the IFF afterwards to make it look how you want it.

10 sounds good to start with, so I can do some testing.

jotd 12 December 2015 18:58

Hey did I write a joypad utility? maybe. Well, I don't remember.

what does it do, and what do you need?

If games read input using hardware banging, there's not much a generic program can do. Only a specific patch can help in that case.

@Akira: you can make a list. I'll see what can be easily done.

FOL 12 December 2015 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1055763)
Hey did I write a joypad utility? maybe. Well, I don't remember.

what does it do, and what do you need?

If games read input using hardware banging, there's not much a generic program can do. Only a specific patch can help in that case.

@Akira: you can make a list. I'll see what can be easily done.

http://se.aminet.net/driver/input/fakepad.readme

It redirects CD32 buttons to F keys, ideal for emulation that do not support CD32 pad.
Apparently you wrote it in 1999. Yours lets you use more than one key at once. Allowing you to do left shoulder + red for instance.

Microcosm,
Lamborghini Challenge,
Darkseed,
Rise Of The robots,
Syndicate,
Subwar.

All appear to work with it, will have to do more testing.

Im trying to setup a perfect HDF, for my android devices on the go.
I have setup iso mounting and CD32 Emulator. Just working on getting different ISO's working perfect and I need fakepad to allow me to attach keyboard keys to emulator onscreen joy buttons.

jotd 12 December 2015 22:55

cool, I completely forgot I wrote that :)
You want me to change F keys by something else? Well, could be done (and I provided the source so virtually everyone could do it!)

simplest and best would be a command line argument parsing to set the buttons instead of hardcoding them.

OK, I'll try doing that during the holidays.

In the meanwhile you can rebuild a modified version by changing $50, $51, ...:

.qkstruct:
dc.w $50,$0,$51,0,$52,$0,$53,0,$54,0,$55,0

by other raw keycodes

PS: glad that my work is still used in 2015!