English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   ethernet card price question! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=10975)

Amiga1992 22 August 2003 19:01

ethernet card price question!

I found a "Linksys EtherFast LANmodem 56K (PCMLM56)", which is a combo card compatible with cnet.device

The price for this card is 44 US dollars. Is it a good price? Maybe it's more expensive because it's a combo card, but I couldn't find any other compatible card over here (well ,I did find a guy with a compatible 3Com card for 20 dolars, but he has a veeery bad rating and refusesto give me a refund in case the card doesnt work with my Amiga).

Help apreciated. I wanna get my Amiga into the network!

Echo 22 August 2003 19:37

I've just bought a new one pretty cheap, you should be able to find it - but I haven't yet tested it, took a risk :)

"Edimax EP-4101 PCMCIA NIC"

£11 or about $17.

Going to configure it tonight, hopefully.

Edit: PDF Spec: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~echo147/temp/edimax.zip

Echo 22 August 2003 20:05

What the hell. It won't fit in the slot. Can I cut away at the port or something? Argh.

Edit: Hurrah, cut a little plastic off the card with a blade and it fits snugly now. Time for testing...

Amiga1992 23 August 2003 06:53

be careful if it doesnt fit. Might be a buscard(not compatible). Most 3Coms I tested do not fit the slot.

It's not easy to find these cards over here. so far i only found the linnksys.

Frootloop 23 August 2003 08:09

See if you can get a Kingston PCMCIA Ethernet card model KNE-PC2T. I'm using it with no problems, currently dumping disks for CAPS to my private FTP site at this very moment.

There's a bunch on eBay, one with "Buy it Now" for $9.75 U.S.

eBay Kingston KNE-PC2T

Amiga1992 23 August 2003 11:12

Gotta ask for shipping prices and see if it's worth it. Thanks frootbonk! i mean, loop :D

Frootloop 23 August 2003 12:29

Stop making fun of my avatar! I gotta admit, I haven't even played much of the game but I needed a quick avatar so I just loaded up the game and grabbed it. Maybe I'll find a new one but I'm kind of attached to the little guy now. :)

Echo 23 August 2003 14:05

Quote:

Originally posted by Akira
be careful if it doesnt fit. Might be a buscard(not compatible). Most 3Coms I tested do not fit the slot.
Is there any way I can identify it as a buscard? I can't seem to get anywhere with it. I'll be taking it to work Wednesday to put in the office laptop, make sure it's working correctly.

Amiga1992 23 August 2003 17:49

Quote:

Originally posted by Frootloop
Stop making fun of my avatar! I gotta admit, I haven't even played much of the game but I needed a quick avatar so I just loaded up the game and grabbed it. Maybe I'll find a new one but I'm kind of attached to the little guy now. :)
Hey I LOVE the Bonk games, it's a fabulous game series :)

echo: the fact that it didn't fit and you had to force it is a good indicator that it was not compatible :P The 3Com I tried out didn't fit because it was a Cardbus type of card. Dunno the precise technical differences that being "Cardbus" means, but I know they don't work. Why did you buy it if it was not in the cnet.device compatibility list?

ant512 23 August 2003 20:27

Quote:

Originally posted by Akira
The 3Com I tried out didn't fit because it was a Cardbus type of card. Dunno the precise technical differences that being "Cardbus" means, but I know they don't work. Why did you buy it if it was not in the cnet.device compatibility list?
"Cardbus" is a 32-bit version of PCMCIA (PCMCIA-III?). It is backwardly-compatible with 16-bit PCMCIA-II cards, but PCMCIA-II slots (ie. that used in the Amiga) cannot use the new 32-bit cards. The shape of the card is slightly different.

As for the cnet.device list, it is getting old - it doesn't include every available card, and includes many cards that are no longer available.

Amiga1992 23 August 2003 23:05

Yup I found out about Cardbus after a google search and a visit to Farallon's website. I bet Echo got a Cardbus card, and probably he fried it, because he cutted the plastic and inserted it anyway (if what I read is right, the Amiga's port should be delivering 5V while these Cardbus cards work at 3.3V)

Careful with what you do next time Echo, you might fry your Amiga :(

Echo 24 August 2003 00:28

Hmm, that plastic notch was there for a reason then. I thought it was just Commodore and their cheapy moulding.

Reason I bought it despite not being on cnet's compatibility list is because I've been looking for true compatibles for ages and never found one. Thought I'd risk a new £12 card on the hope that it'd work.

No major loss if I've fried it.

whiteb 25 August 2003 01:58

Quote:

Originally posted by Echo
Hmm, that plastic notch was there for a reason then. I thought it was just Commodore and their cheapy moulding.

Reason I bought it despite not being on cnet's compatibility list is because I've been looking for true compatibles for ages and never found one. Thought I'd risk a new £12 card on the hope that it'd work.

No major loss if I've fried it.

But it *IS* a major loss if your amiga is fried.

adolescent 25 August 2003 03:23

Quote:

Originally posted by ant512
As for the cnet.device list, it is getting old - it doesn't include every available card, and includes many cards that are no longer available.
I think less than a year old is pretty good for an Amiga driver. Harry doesn't just add any NE2000 based card, only ones that have been tested. That, and there probably aren't a lot of new 16b cards on the market.