English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Shadow of the Beast (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58411)

Hewitson 25 March 2011 13:44

Shadow of the Beast

Despite it's fantastic graphics and sound, I was never able to get into this game. After playing it for the first time in at least 10 years tonight, it's not surprising why.

It's so easy to die, and every time you do, it takes forever and a day to start a new game. For a game that was so well done in the graphics and sound departments, they really fucked up the basics BIG time. A crying shame.

deicidal 25 March 2011 13:50

Glad its not just me who could never get his head round it, it looked pretty but i hated it. Was a bit of a draw dropping moment with the intro for SOTB 2 , then promptly thinking the game was poo

LuMan 25 March 2011 13:55

It's true. The old adage "good graphics do not a great game make" has never been so well defined!! TBH, I only ever load the game to listen to the music (created on a Korg M1, I believe) and watch the multi-level parallax scrolling for a bit. Then I go to YouTube and watch the videos of someone else completing it :D

SOTB II however is completely different kettle of fish. I LOVED playing it so much I played it end to end 4 times in one night (using the 'ten pints' cheat, natch ;)). I also loved dying just to hear the death music. Sublime :)

Tolls 25 March 2011 14:04

Totally agree. There's a great feature in this month's Retro gamer magazine (87):

"The History of Shadow of the Beast
- Creator Martin Edmondson discusses the popular Amiga trilogy"

killergorilla 25 March 2011 14:08

Shadow of the Beast is a shit game :)

It does look nice though.

Retro1234 25 March 2011 14:15

Try SOTB III probably the least graphically impressive of the three but nice game

deicidal 25 March 2011 14:25

Actually SOTB 2 was kind of ruined a bit as well as getting the angels version hot off the press, shove it in, go oooo and the intro, walk forward a few steps and the game crashed. Tad shoddy release that, they even mentioned the fact in the cractro so you would have thought maybe not to have released it and try and crack it properly.

TCD 25 March 2011 14:27

Even if SOTB2 is pretty much unplayable, I kinda liked the action adventure bits. But of course 1 & 2 are pretty much interactive demos.

Retro1234 25 March 2011 14:28

SOTB 2 wouldnt have taken much for this to be a great! game just some play testing
Still could be fun to play with the cheat on just to solve the puzzles etc.

TCD 25 March 2011 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Boo (Post 744874)
Still could be fun to play with the cheat on just to solve the puzzles etc.

*cough* How did you know? *cough* :D I knew about the 'TEN PINTS' before I got the game, so that gave me the opportunity to play the game a bit (and not die all the time). Without the cheat, it's just ridiculous as a game.

Lord Riton 25 March 2011 20:28

I don't agree with all of you :evilgrin

I loved shadow of the beast 1 ! a fantastic game !

Yes it was hard, but the graphics and animation were so good that i got hooked to it and eventough i died a LOT ! i managed to finish it ! :p

switchblade 25 March 2011 21:00

I actually liked SOTB3. That game was surprisingly fun to play. At least the controls weren't complete shit on that one, and the puzzles were much more forgiving than in the first two games. At least you didn't have to restart the whole fking game because you missed a clue or a goddamn key that you had to pick up at the beginning of the game.:banghead

But I agree with the first two games. They are pretty bad.

Retro-Nerd 26 March 2011 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchblade (Post 744933)

But I agree with the first two games. They are pretty bad.

No, they are historically bad!

Bloodwych 26 March 2011 11:33

That game badly required a code system, where you get a code for reaching certain points in the game so you could continue.

Playing the same bit over and over and over got old.

I do admit however booting it up loads just for the sound and graphics.

Retro1234 26 March 2011 12:42

What about the other conversion of SOTB II like FM Towns and MegaCD -you think these redeam the game?

laffer 26 March 2011 23:33

I actually happen to like all three SotB games... I like SotB2 the most, then the first and I like SotB3 the least... but admittedly, this is probably because of nostalgia as I have to admit the gameplay is probably better in SotB3 than in the first game.

But anyway, I've always enjoyed the mood in these games, and for some reason I find even the very basic gameplay of Beast 1 addictive... played through it at least 10-15 times or so total :D

But I will admit this is a case of me liking a game despite its gameplay and not because of it... it does feel great when you've played it enough to really master it, though.
It's a nice feeling when parts of the game that used to seem near impossible become managable and eventually even easy.

Tried out a bunch of ports too but I find the Amiga one is the best, bar none... because of the great atmosphere mainly.
The SNES and Lynx versions differ greatly in design and it might be argued the gameplay in those is a bit better... but sadly they messed up the music in the SNES version and the Lynx is a handheld game so the music there is nowhere near as good.

The Commodore 64 version has great SID renditions of the tunes, btw... it's quite an impressive game for the C64, but I wish they had drawn the graphics better.
They're technically impressive but from an artistic viewpoint, they're not really that great.
For one thing it always bugged me they picked black as the outside background color.

And finally - if you find it silly how the final boss fight in the Amiga version has you hitting a giant foot while avoiding a big club.... well, the C64 version is even more laughable here - in this version you're hitting a toenail on the giant foot! Until it falls off and the boss is defeated :D

EDIT - some shameless self-promotion for my dead channel I haven't updated in ages now :p But it has longplays of several of the various Beast versions, just in case you would like to have a look at how different some of them are (or maybe have a look at the forementioned final boss in the C64 version :D)... just search for Beast or something like that and you should find several videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/laffer35

desiv 27 March 2011 04:56

I like all 3 games as well, even the original. Yes it's difficult, but it's more a memory/reflex game than an action game per se.. And I like those as well. I've never disliked a game just because it has patterns. I always that was just part of the game..

Then again, I like Dragon's Lair too... :-)

desiv

donnie 10 July 2011 16:19

Shadow of the beast 3 is one of the better games of its type on amiga. Holds up very well imho.

mattbarton.exe 10 July 2011 16:53

I pretty much have to agree. It was one of the games you wanted to boot up to show off your Amiga to your friends. I really liked the art and the music. But the gameplay just wasn't there...

I guess little has changed in the industry since then!

gimbal 11 July 2011 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe (Post 765903)
I guess little has changed in the industry since then!

If by that you mean there are still good games and bad games with nice graphics, yes not much has changed :)