English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Pandora (Open Hardware) now available to pre-order (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39861)

chiark 30 September 2008 17:42

Pandora (Open Hardware) now available to pre-order

3000 units have been made available for pre-order, with delivery sometime towards end of November

http://openpandora.org/retro.html

You might have seen the Amiga emulation running on this - it looks great, and for me it'll be the portable amiga I dreamed of back in 1991 when I was selling Amigas and monochrome Philips laptops as a saturday job whilst studying for my a-levels :D

Very, very excited about this. It looks superb :D !

Dunny 30 September 2008 19:27

My order's in!

Had a small concern that they weren't asking for a delivery address, but on enquiry the very helpful lady at gbax said that they knew about the problem and would use the billing address on the card used as payment unless you mail them and ask for it to be changed.

Pandora and 16gb SDHC card for less than 250 notes - get in!

D.

keropi 30 September 2008 19:38

does it have wifi?

tonyyeb 30 September 2008 19:47

Yes it has Wifi (and bluetooth).

Wish I had the money to pre order one :crying

keropi 30 September 2008 20:02

damn! gonna get me one!

Qun Mang 01 October 2008 04:00

http://gbax.com/pandorax.html for Americas, Australia, Japan, and Korea.

alexh 01 October 2008 10:35

They are still yet to be made... I'll hold off.

chiark 01 October 2008 10:36

Pay with a credit card. If it doesn't turn up, you've got the full protection of the consumer credit act behind you. It's zero risk.

alexh 01 October 2008 10:37

Hmm, I'll still wait.

tonyyeb 01 October 2008 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 463839)
Hmm, I'll still wait.

I'm waiting for people to get their first batch, see what issues there are then order for (hopefully) an improved version from the second or third batch.

Plus i'm skint!

woody57 01 October 2008 11:28

I agree there Alexh :agree

While it seems to be genuine .......the lack of functionality of the rest of their website beggars the question as to their competence in actually supplying what they promise :sad

Too many times have Amiga enthusiasts parted with money only to be let down with long delays & NO REFUNDS when weeks turn to months...

IMHO please use caution

stainy 01 October 2008 12:19

:rolleyes:rolleyes

T_hairy_bootson 01 October 2008 12:32

gbax have been around for a while, they originally imported the gp32 to the UK and then became the exclusive UK distributor for the gp2x. There may be delays but I don't doubt craigix will deliver. It is an ambitious undertaking. EvilDragon is the German gp2x distributor and is also tied into this project. Both have never given anyone any reason to doubt their intentions. They have delayed the pre order again and again to make sure the hardware is ready and everything is right.

They have my support, this is everything I could want in a handheld.

john4p 01 October 2008 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyyeb (Post 463846)
I'm waiting for people to get their first batch, see what issues there are then order for (hopefully) an improved version from the second or third batch.

That was my attitude as well. But as soon as preorders started yesterday I couldn't resist and bought that damn thing (didn't wanna wait 'til next year).

About seven weeks left until my full speed portable Amiga 500 (and Super NES) arrives... :D

I'm usually very sceptical about such things - but those gp32x-folks and EvilDragon have my trust.

tonyyeb 01 October 2008 14:05

Please post here when yours arrives, pics included!

tonyyeb 01 October 2008 16:04

The site is very slow and at some points unavailable as well as the GP2x forums. Sell out on the cards?

It has been slashdotted and edgadgetted so that explains 99% of the traffic I guess!

DDNI 01 October 2008 16:15

It really does look like a great gadget. I have reservations over the screen size, there is certainly space for something bigger. Maybe even bin the speakers. Who doesnt use Headphones on these things?

Regarding it not yet being available, the credit card act is a nice backup, however it doesn't protect against delays and potential credit card interest...

Caveat Emptor...

Dizzy 01 October 2008 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiark (Post 463837)
Pay with a credit card. If it doesn't turn up, you've got the full protection of the consumer credit act behind you. It's zero risk.

well if it takes too long for them to finish it, it will not be easy getting your money back ;)

cv643d 01 October 2008 17:45

For that price you get a small Asus EEE PC, you can even run XP on it and play emulated games.

I know coz I tested Raine and played Gigawing on a borrowed 7 inch eee PC with a Japanese Saturn pad converted to USB.

Dunny 01 October 2008 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by john4p (Post 463863)
About seven weeks left until my full speed portable Amiga 500 (and Super NES) arrives... :D

A500? They're aiming for fullspeed A1200 on this beauty :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cv643d (Post 463981)
For that price you get a small Asus EEE PC, you can even run XP on it and play emulated games.

Yeah, but you can't put an EEE PC in your pocket, and if you want gaming controls you have to hook up a controller. This thing wins the eee all over :-)

D.