English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Hardware mods (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   alice chip question (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67773)

imigger 08 February 2013 14:55

alice chip question

hello there am i right in thinking the amount of chip ram is only 2mb because of alice , just wondering is it possible to re wright the chip so it can have 4mb ,could piggy back memory maybe , just wondering as emulators can emulate more chip , so there must be a way to incorparate this on the actual 1200 or 4000 , what do you think crap idea????

roy bates 08 February 2013 15:20

i dont think you can have more than 2 mb.

PJM 08 February 2013 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by imigger (Post 866972)
hello there am i right in thinking the amount of chip ram is only 2mb because of alice , just wondering is it possible to re wright the chip so it can have 4mb ,could piggy back memory maybe , just wondering as emulators can emulate more chip , so there must be a way to incorparate this on the actual 1200 or 4000 , what do you think crap idea????

You would have to use an FPGA to replace it and remove the issue. Theres no chance of altering the physical hardware.

pandy71 08 February 2013 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by imigger (Post 866972)

You can do anything, put on chip Embedded RAM (like 16 or perhaps even 64MB), provide MMU, banking or direct addressing mode - it is up to You only - how You will wrote Your own software...

imigger 08 February 2013 15:47

bummer what is the cause of this though , is it software on the chip that says only 2mb or is it the chip itself ,anyone got info on this chip ,i would like to go into it a wee bit more.

AmigaFriend 08 February 2013 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by imigger (Post 866987)
bummer what is the cause of this though , is it software on the chip that says only 2mb or is it the chip itself ,anyone got info on this chip ,i would like to go into it a wee bit more.

Here:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=632808&postcount=6

imigger 08 February 2013 18:54

that explains alot then , but i stil am going to piggy back 2 chips just to see what happens something is telling me to doit .

AmigaFriend 08 February 2013 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by imigger (Post 867036)
that explains alot then , but i stil am going to piggy back 2 chips just to see what happens something is telling me to doit .

That nobody stops you to potentially fry your Amiga. Good luck!

TCD 08 February 2013 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by imigger (Post 867036)

Right... sometimes it's beneficial not to listen to the voices ;)

imigger 08 February 2013 21:16

lol yes i know what you mean but it wont fry ,if anything it wont do anything or get anything extra ,so just desolder, i was trying to locate some 1mb 20 pins for it but cant seem to find any, anyone got an idea?

roy bates 08 February 2013 21:21

just out of curiosity,where would you get the addresses from.

PJM 08 February 2013 22:00

Why not get an early revision A500 and do the same? The extra memory simply does not show up. Same thing will occur here... Or worst...

imigger 09 February 2013 01:22

well i doit for a laugh and let you know what happens, because i have been looking at the 1200 memory part and it looks like there was going to be a memory board addon that sat over the top of where it is on pins open 1 up and take a closer look.
which i think is strange why do that if its not possible you cant replace the other chips easy so why have an upgrade design in the board to begin with??? take a look looks like thats what its meant for.

but could be wrong pop bang crackle.

PJM 09 February 2013 11:44

The design documentation only refers to a memory expansion card for the trapdoor, nothing else.

yaqube 09 February 2013 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by imigger (Post 867124)
which i think is strange why do that if its not possible you cant replace the other chips easy so why have an upgrade design in the board to begin with??? take a look looks like thats what its meant for.

Initially there were plans to sell some A1200 models equipped with only 1MB of memory. In such case the headers were meant for expansion of the CHIP RAM to full 2MB at a later time.

PJM 09 February 2013 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaqube (Post 867228)
Initially there were plans to sell some A1200 models equipped with only 1MB of memory. In such case the headers were meant for expansion of the CHIP RAM to full 2MB at a later time.

Ah yes, this is mentioned in the earlier A1200 manuals wasn't it?

imigger 10 February 2013 02:44

almost done well see if it works soon gulp:)