English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Defunct software houses in Manchester (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=95961)

sodapop 20 January 2019 11:53

Defunct software houses in Manchester

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Manchester soon, and I consider having a glance at what used to be the Ocean HQ, in Central Street.
I know that Tiertex was also based in Manchester for a while, but I guess at least one more was also in the area... can't remember though...

Do you know other companies from the "8/16 bits era" based in Manchester ?

Thanks !

jotd 20 January 2019 12:29

Tiertex was defunct even when it was active.

Steve 20 January 2019 12:46

There is Software Creations where I used to work. They were based on Cheetham Hill Road. The building is now occupied by a clothing distributor called 'Influence'. My office was on the top right corner at the front of the building. They were some happy days working with Jonathan 'Joffa' Smith of Speccy fame. I actually signed up to this board while I was working there (literally).

BarryB 20 January 2019 13:31

I saw Joffa at Stoke doing an 'Ocean Reunited' event at Byte Back in March 2009, he was smacked out his head on Ketamine at the time so never got to hear him tell us about his time working at Ocean or have a chance to speak to him afterwards, and sadly, died just over a year later :(

Steve 20 January 2019 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryB (Post 1298976)
I saw Joffa at Stoke doing an 'Ocean Reunited' event at Byte Back in March 2009, he was smacked out his head on Ketamine at the time so never got to hear him tell us about his time working at Ocean or have a chance to speak to him afterwards, and sadly, died just over a year later :(

That's really sad. I still have no idea what caused his death. Seems a mystery.

He was a quiet guy at work, I gave him a few surprises though. Impressed him once or twice with my coding and also infuriated him one time when I commented out a few lines of his code (and didn't tell him) because it was breaking something else. I also accidentally shut off his computer and a load of others when I flipped the wrong switch on the mains unit! Haha. He saw the funny side thankfully. It was only much later after I'd left the company that I found out that he had a debilitating shyness problem. Maybe this was why he needed the Ketamine for the Ocean reunite.

He never spoke to me very much despite him being the lead programmer for the project and I always just assumed he didn't like me much. Had I known his problem I would have definitely made more of an effort to get to know him. As it was, virtually all our communication was through e-mail despite him being in the next room.

BarryB 20 January 2019 17:07

I just wonder if his shyness issue led to him taking stuff to help deal with it and was linked to his his passing? At least you got to meet him personally and actually work with him, so at least you have some happy memories of the great fella :great

sodapop 20 January 2019 17:18

@Steve: yeah, Software Creations was the one I looked for ! Thanks !

@jotd: Tiertex sucked indeed, but it's history now ;-)

gimbal 22 January 2019 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodapop (Post 1299022)
@jotd: Tiertex sucked indeed, but it's history now ;-)

There is no such thing as history on EAB, Tiertex is still very much alive and still makes the blood boil :)

sodapop 22 January 2019 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1299377)
There is no such thing as history on EAB, Tiertex is still very much alive and still makes the blood boil :)

Oh, really ? ;)
I wonder what its last game was and where its website is, though ? :laughing

alexh 23 January 2019 04:10

DID Digital Image Design was in Warrington just a small trip from Manchester

sodapop 23 January 2019 09:11

Thank you for the information ! But maybe a bit too far from the city center for me ;)

BrooksterMax 23 January 2019 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 1299562)
DID Digital Image Design was in Warrington just a small trip from Manchester

That was handy given Ocean and DID a fair amount of work together - was this by design (excuse the pun) or accident? Loved Robocop 3 and laterly TFX.

I know hearing in podcasts that often there was a lot of driving between sites in those days handing over physical media rather than over the 'net so to be a short hop away would have been helpful.