English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. General (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   crunchers with c and asm sources (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66836)

xxxxx 30 November 2012 08:23

crunchers with c and asm sources

Hey guys, I'm looking for a data cruncher for my current project, and I'm hoping to not write one from scratch. Do you know if there are some good ones out there that:
1. have c source for the cruncher (so I can run it on PC)
2. have asm source for decruncher, so it runs on an unaccelerated a500
3. deals with raw data, not amiga hunks
4. is fast at decrunching

Have any of you ever used (or seen) any code that can help with this?

StingRay 30 November 2012 08:28

Back in the day of PSX demo coding Gargoyle/Polka Brothers (if memory serves me right) ported ByteKiller to C. I should still have the source somewhere if that helps you? Decruncher in assembler is not a problem either of course. If you can live with the (nowadays) poor crunching efficiency it should be exactly what you need.

WayneK 30 November 2012 12:07

There was also a C port of the RNC mode 1 decruncher (and there is a PC native dos exe for propack to crunch your data), which was quite a good packer although perhaps not fast enough decrunch for you. I believe the C port was intended for the Nintendo64 scene - if you can find a mirror of the old "Dextrose" website you might track it down.
Also there is a short/fast lz77 and lz78 implementation by Ray/TsCC which comes with 680x0 decrunch and C source.

Mrs Beanbag 30 November 2012 14:55

I have asm code for my own LZ-variant I wrote for Mr Beanbag, I recently wrote a much faster compressor but I haven't got round to writing the decoder yet :/

xxxxx 30 November 2012 17:49

the Bytekiller c source would be great. Could you post it? I remember Bytekiller from back in the day, I may even have used it.
The Ray/TsCC lz77 code is also an option, thanks for the tip.

It sounds like both of these have been used in multiple productions, so I will look at them first.

I looked at RNC before, but I couldn't find source for the cruncher, only for the decruncher. I didn't want to rely on an old dos program for crunching :-)

thanks for the help

hitchhikr 30 November 2012 18:28

Source for a RNC cruncher can be found here: http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/dk/utils.html

phx 30 November 2012 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxxx (Post 853626)
the Bytekiller c source would be great. Could you post it?

I had published my Bytekiller C source, which I wrote for Sqrxz, some time ago. Here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65683

xxxxx 01 December 2012 05:14

thanks again, you guys rock :-)

jotd 26 May 2017 19:25

Hi,

I can't make RNC from Dungeon Keeper Small Utilities work

It doesn't run natively, so I tried running it on DOSBox, but I get the usage each time, or "internal fault", whatever the options I'm trying.

I checked the source code, and it seems that "mode" isn't initialized. So I recompiled, and after fixing the "mode" stuff, I got "unable to handle leeway > 255"...

Sounds that this one is very broken. Anyone could make that work? it seems to be the only program able to compress RNC files with C source

(a long time ago I tried to make it work, and I could compress some files but on some other files compression/decompression failed so the program is not portable to 32/64 or even gcc I suppose)

alpine9000 27 May 2017 01:21

https://github.com/AxisOxy/Planet-Ro...s/doynamite68k

This has a portable C compressor with asm depacker.

jotd 27 May 2017 08:43

Thanks, bit I want to unpack/pack for RNC because of a project involving a classic game which uses RNC (same problem as with SWOS team editor)

Foul 27 May 2017 15:54

http://aminet.net/package/util/pack/cranker ?

jotd 29 May 2017 22:19

Hi,

Just rebuilt the RNC/DERNC from Dungeon Keeper Utilities (in the zone) for windows (sources included)

I have fixed the command line (well, at least RNC "file" works, -o doesn't, and it didn't even with the original exe on dosbox: never could make the options work) & a few other things.

- dernc: rnc decompressor: works great
- rnc: rnc compressor: decompresses OK with dernc or xfddecrunch. I still had crashes with some games, so maybe there's a limitation with some game decrunchers (I know there's a CRC which isn't there in some cases, but that doesn't seem to be that)

I'll let you test it.

temisu 30 May 2017 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1161289)
- rnc: rnc compressor: decompresses OK with dernc or xfddecrunch. I still had crashes with some games, so maybe there's a limitation with some game decrunchers (I know there's a CRC which isn't there in some cases, but that doesn't seem to be that)
I'll let you test it.

Dungeon keeper RNC-utility only support 1 out of the 3 different RNC-subtypes, so it is not really a generic solution. However, it supports the most popular one though

Most (i.e. not the old RNC1) of RNC1/RNC2 files do have CRC for both packed and unpacked data thus verifying RNC-files should be straightforward ... However, in my tests I have seen unexpected CRC-failures and concluded that there can only be modded implementations used in many places :rolleyes

jotd 30 May 2017 11:19

I think that the CRC is ignored most of the time. It's useful to tell between old and new RNC1: if CRC fails, then it's not CRC it's RNC1. WHDLoad & CD32load use that property to know which unpacking method to use with RNC1 headers.

The issue I have with this RNC packing code is that it doesn't work with asm unpackers from games (Magic Pockets PC & Amiga version crash when I feed it with this packed file). XFDdecrunch has no issue depacking it, though. Any thoughts?

temisu 30 May 2017 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1161354)
I think that the CRC is ignored most of the time. It's useful to tell between old and new RNC1: if CRC fails, then it's not CRC it's RNC1. WHDLoad & CD32load use that property to know which unpacking method to use with RNC1 headers.

I don't solely believe using CRC to detect the different versions. For me it is the last step, since there is element of error built into that (not to mention calculating CRC of a file is rather heavy method to detect a format)

This is what I use:

Code:

if (hdr==FourCC('RNC\001'))
        {
                // now detect between old and new version
                // since the old and the new version share the same id, there is no foolproof way
                // to tell them apart. It is easier to prove that it is not something by finding
                // specific invalid bitstream content.

// if we can't access the old-stream we are nothing (since old stream is smaller the new stream by header 12 vs. 18)
                uint8_t oldStreamStart,newStreamStart;
                uint16_t hdrCrc,crc;
                if (!packedData.read(_packedSize+11,oldStreamStart)) return;

// well, this is silly though but lets assume someone has made old format RNC1 with total size less than 19
                if (!packedData.read(18,newStreamStart))
                        _ver=Version::RNC1Old;

// Check that stream starts with a literal(s)
                else if (!(oldStreamStart&0x80))
                        _ver=Version::RNC1New;

// New stream have two bits in start as a filler on new stream. Those are always 0
                // (although this is not strictly mandated)
                // +
                // Even though it is possible to make new RNC1 stream which starts with zero literal table size,
                // it is extremely unlikely
                else if ((newStreamStart&3) || !(newStreamStart&0x7c))

// now the last resort: check CRC.
                else if (!packedData.readBE(14,hdrCrc)) return;
                else if (RNCCRC(_packedData,18,_packedSize,crc) && crc==hdrCrc)
                        _ver=Version::RNC1New;
                else
        } else if (hdr==FourCC('RNC\002')) {
                _ver=Version::RNC2;

Excuse me for the if-else-hell, there is no clean way to write it :crazy

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1161354)
The issue I have with this RNC packing code is that it doesn't work with asm unpackers from games (Magic Pockets PC & Amiga version crash when I feed it with this packed file). XFDdecrunch has no issue depacking it, though. Any thoughts?

Do you have example files? I could peek in those what they are made of

jotd 30 May 2017 23:44

> Do you have example files? I could peek in those what they are made of

I was hoping you'd say that :)

I zoned "rnc_files.zip" for you. There are 3 files in it:

- NEW1.PIN: the file packed with rnc (dungeon utilities)
- NEW1_orig.PIN: original file packed with "official" propack
- NEW1_orig_unp.PIN: unpacked file

I hope you can find why it fails. Do you have any RNC cruncher source handy? You've shown some nice C++ code for RNC unpack, maybe you have the pack side too and want to share?

temisu 31 May 2017 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1161517)
- NEW1.PIN: the file packed with rnc (dungeon utilities)

Well, I know why it fails. The dungeon keeper rnc has only compressed 16384 of the 16662 bytes of the file properly. There is one more chunk and remaining bytes are there just fine but that chunk is out of bounds. In short chunk count is one less what it should be. Not many decompressors check this and just proceed until the end...

Happy news is that my own decompressor actually detected this just fine :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1161517)
I hope you can find why it fails. Do you have any RNC cruncher source handy? You've shown some nice C++ code for RNC unpack, maybe you have the pack side too and want to share?

Unfortunately no. But I can check what is wrong in dungeon keeper RNC. Probably this very easy to fix now when we now the root cause.

temisu 31 May 2017 08:30

I got it working by adding this (your luck might be different, the rnc seems to be very sensitive to compilers...)

Here is a diff (to the original sources). In theory the chunk count should not be filled at all, but I can see something is there...

Code:

--- utilsrc/rnc.c
+++ utilsrc_mod/rnc.c
@@ -194,6 +161,8 @@
    bitbuf = 0;
    write_bits (0, 2);

+    int chunks;
+    chunks = 0;
    while (datalen > 0) {
        blklen = datalen > BLOCKMAX ? BLOCKMAX : datalen;
        blkstart = WINMAX - BLOCKMAX;
@@ -209,6 +178,7 @@
        data += bpos - blkstart;
        datalen -= bpos - blkstart;
        write_block();
+      chunks++;
    }

if (bitcount > 0) {
@@ -222,7 +192,8 @@
    bwrite (packed+12, rnc_crc(packed+18, packedpos-18));
    bwrite (packed+10, rnc_crc(original, origlen));
    bwrite (packed+8, packedpos-18);
-    packed[16] = packed[17] = 0;
+    packed[16] = 0;
+    packed[17] = chunks;

return packed;
 }

jotd 31 May 2017 22:14

that's it!! now it decrunches properly and doesn't crash anymore.

The funny part is that I figured that out when making a diff between original & DK crunched files, but somehow I must have zapped it or changed the value in the binary and overwritten with a bad file again.

That's the first RNC packer with source freely available that works. To reduce the risk of compiler abuse, I fixed the "int" as 16-bit values (like the original compiler did). There was also a lot of warnings & undefined variables. Now it works fine, thanks a million.

Source & exes in the zone. Will put that on my website too.