English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   ADF to Disk doesn't work correctly (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55676)

Doomman2008 09 October 2010 18:39

ADF to Disk doesn't work correctly

Hi.

I have the followimng problem: I have an amiga 1200 (commodore). I'm trying to write an adf file back to disk.. i tried adf2disk, adf blitzer, tsgui - always with the same result:
the write process seems to run till 100% without an error. but everytime the disk shows DF0:NDOS, even the source-adf is a dos-image.

but why this happen? i tried 3 different floppy drives (Chinon FB-354, FZ-354 and a modded Teac FD235HF-6291) and over 30 disks.

can anybody help me?

regards

mech 09 October 2010 19:10

i've used adf blitzer without troubles. are you sure the source images are indeed good? you are using good DS/DD floppy disks right? assuming all is well on the above questions,it would seem to be hardware level. AT motherboard maybe with floppy fixes? bad floppy drive cable?
try an external drive if you have one and see if it works.

mike

cosmicfrog 09 October 2010 19:16

disk image .adf you are try to put to floppy is

dlfrsilver 09 October 2010 19:54

Try tracktool from Codetapper. Best ADF writer out there :)

thomas 09 October 2010 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doomman2008 (Post 707128)
but everytime the disk shows DF0:NDOS, even the source-adf is a dos-image.

When and how did you check that the source ADF is a DOS disk?

If you checked it on a PC with WinUAE, it can still become corrupted during the transfer to the Amiga. Then changing the program or the disk does not help, you need to correct the transfer.

Doomman2008 09 October 2010 20:14

Yes, I tried in WinUAE... there all Operation works perfect. .,,.I copied the File on my CF-Card in WinUAE. Then I inserted the CF-Card back in my IDE-CF Adapter.
I tried this with different ADF-Files. It is always the same Result..

FOL 09 October 2010 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doomman2008 (Post 707169)
Yes, I tried in WinUAE... there all Operation works perfect. .,,.I copied the File on my CF-Card in WinUAE. Then I inserted the CF-Card back in my IDE-CF Adapter.

Which disk are you trying to transfer back?

cosmicfrog 09 October 2010 20:41

that was my question, perhaps you use better words than me fol

Doomman2008 09 October 2010 21:17

Workbench 3.1 Install Disk and Ramses (Game)

FOL 09 October 2010 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doomman2008 (Post 707204)
Workbench 3.1 Install Disk and Ramses (Game)

What disks, you using?

Can you format them ok?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmicfrog (Post 707185)
that was my question, perhaps you use better words than me fol

lol.

Doomman2008 09 October 2010 22:38

Workbench Install Disk ist named install_3.1.adf and has a crc32 37CD1DDE

Ramses i don'nt know.. i deleted the diskimage already..

but under winuae i can copy the adf to a "new disk" perfectly..

prowler 09 October 2010 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 707163)
Try tracktool from Codetapper. Best ADF writer out there :)

CodeTapper's TrackTool is not the best ADF writer to use in this case, as it does not check the destination disk for write errors. This can be a very useful feature in some circumstances, but not on this occasion. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doomman2008 (Post 707232)
Workbench Install Disk ist named install_3.1.adf and has a crc32 37CD1DDE

but under winuae i can copy the adf to a "new disk" perfectly..

That CRC32 doesn't look right to me, but it shouldn't prevent the image being written back to floppy disk correctly, of course.

thomas 09 October 2010 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doomman2008 (Post 707169)

Sounds like the usual mistake everybody makes: MaxTransfer is set too high.

In TSGUI select "read block by block, not cylinders" from the "advanced options" menu. (If you don't have advanced options, get the latest version of TSGUI from here.)

If this works better, run HDToolbox, partition drive, enable Advanced Options, select the first partition, click on Change... and click into the MaxTranfer field, delete everything and enter 0x1fe00, then press enter (don't forget to press enter, otherwise the new value will not be used). Click ok and do the same with all the other partitions, too. Then return to the main menu and click on Save Changes To Disk. Finally reboot and try again. Maybe you need to copy the big files to the CF card again in WinUAE before it works.

Doomman2008 09 October 2010 23:40

hm, thats sound interesting, thomas... i can try this on monday and then i will report my results here...

Doomman2008 11 October 2010 11:50

writing to disk with the "read block by block, not cylinders" and setting the maxtransfer-rate to 0x1fe00 didn't help: it doesn't work.

BUT:

I copied the adfs to a fat-formatted cf-card and used it in the pcmcia slot...

when i write the adf from the pcmcia-cf to floppy, IT WORKS!

but why i doesn't work from ide-cf?

thomas 11 October 2010 12:58

No idea. Copy the ADF from IDE-CF to RAM and from RAM to disk. Does it make a difference?

Copy the ADF from IDE-CF to PCMCIA-CF, then attach both, the original and the copied one here for comparison.

Doomman2008 11 October 2010 14:29

i think it is a problem with the data transfer between winaue and windows... when i copy the adf from pcmcia-cf to ide-cf i can write the adf successfully to floppy disk. when i copy the adf from windows to ide-cf (with winuae) it doesn't work..

thomas 11 October 2010 16:04

Please attach the working and the non-working ADF for comparison. Or compare them yourself.

Which programs do you use for copying?