English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Amiga Game Factory (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Barbarian+ - Enhanced version of an Amiga classic (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=92406)

Neil79 16 May 2018 14:05

Barbarian+ - Enhanced version of an Amiga classic

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dUiUeOLmJ...88771072_o.jpg

Quote:

Barbarian(Death Sword), was first released in 1989 for the C64 and later ported to other systems such as the Acorn, Amiga, Amstrad, Atari, Apple II, BBC Micro, MS-DOS and even the ZX Spectrum. It was a cool game indeed that featured a one to two player mode as a Barbarian faced each other off in deadly combat, with even a deadly ability to be able to slice at each other to the death, which usually ended up with a head being chopped clean off and kicked to one side. It is was a game that has lived on through a generation and after a number of fan ports that have appeared in the past, it looks as if the Amiga is going to get its very own enhanced version called ' Barbarian+ '.
http://www.indieretronews.com/2018/0...ersion-of.html

Even though I said I wasn't going to post here as much anymore, this was too good not to pass up

ransom1122 16 May 2018 14:33

Nothing will ever beat the original.

Amiga1992 16 May 2018 15:30

Well this kinda looks great, the bits I can actually see mind you.

Linking to a video that needs a stupid Facebook account to be seen is not really cool. Can't you import the video to your website itself instead of linking to that crap? I can't even see the "Source" post. So basically can't see a thing but two screenshots.

As I said a million times before: not everyone has a FB account, and lately, more and more people are cancelling theirs.

Predseda 16 May 2018 15:37

Exactly, Akira. +1

Neil79 16 May 2018 15:38

EDIT :

Ok guys, I've done a bit of research into how to download and save PRIVATE videos and got a special app for it ;)

Video is now up on Indie Retro News!

You can thank me later whingers :p ;) :D

Amiga1992 16 May 2018 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil79 (Post 1241532)
Video is now up on Indie Retro News!

Now that's really great news and adds up to your site a LOT.
You can and still should link to sources, but put the media on your own site! What if the source links suddenly stop providing the media? Your site's "content" suddenly disappears.
It's always best for sites like yours to mirror a copy of the media they are trying to show in case the remote link goes belly up.

Now related to topic: this update looks fucking great, I love Barbarian and am looking forward to play with it! What I don't understand, because the video has me confused: is this a remake, or have they taken the original game engine and upgraded its content?

(PS: don't post less in the boards, just be more active in actual discussion besides posts linking to your site! ;))

trixster 16 May 2018 19:35

Thanks for posting this Neil, very interesting! Looks great!

Neil79 17 May 2018 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by trixster (Post 1241583)
Thanks for posting this Neil, very interesting! Looks great!

:great

OmegaMax 17 May 2018 01:34

Not much yet but looks great.

padrino 18 May 2018 18:28

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

there now is a second video of "another sprite test" ;)

Find it attached (note, to play rename from .zip to .mp4)

CU,
padrino

Amiga1992 18 May 2018 19:41

Are you involved with this project padrino?
Can you explain a bit more? The article doesn't offer any insights.

I asked before, is this a remake or are you working with the original code? Because from the tests, it looks like you are rebuilding the game, in which case, replicating the game mechanics perfectly will be your hardest task (and am wondering how will you be approaching this)

Gzegzolka 18 May 2018 20:37

I would like to play it :)

saimon69 18 May 2018 20:43

Padrino is not (AFAIK) involved but I am;
coder is Colin Vella, same from Block Off and the remake will be made in AMOS; am actually working on adding a soundtrack to the game.
Graphic artist is Christoper "Ten Shu" Romagnoli.
Project is however still at a start/brainstorming level so don't hold your breath yet...

Amiga1992 18 May 2018 21:36

Thanks for the clarification saimon69.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indie Retro News
especially when he looked into the data and found sprites were upscaled from the 8bit version and were only 4 colours with a terrible use of the palette. As such he spent a week reworking some of the assets and the character spites, added a few background animations

Article text is a bit ambiguous and makes it seem they were poking around the original and upgrading that too, instead of starting from scratch.

I hope they reverse engineer the original or something to be able to replicate the mechanics 1:1. Surely this is a simple enough game to get right in AMOS but how it plays will make or break the conversion.

Good luck!

Predseda 18 May 2018 22:11

I hoped in Blitz at least. On the other hand, Block Off is well programmed, so fingers crossed with Barbarian.

DamienD 18 May 2018 22:18

Yeah, not sure about how good things will be using AMOS...

Tsak 18 May 2018 23:09

Wow, these new gfx look seriously cool!

Saimon, since you're into the music please consider an update/remake of the awesome original one (which was basically a rip off from Conan itself - Conan II in particular).

Amiga1992 18 May 2018 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1242174)

The problem is not what you code it with if you know how to do things well. You can do very competent games with AMOS if you know what you are doing, like this one: http://hol.abime.net/2715
If this ends up needing a 68020+2MB chip to do what the original does on a 512KB machine, then yeah we have a problem.

I think the main concern for me would be the gameplay but it's very early and we have to wait and see, I think the makers of this version are huge fans of the game and will probably have the same concerns as me :)

Galahad/FLT 18 May 2018 23:57

No disrespect to Saimon, but if this port does actually take off, I have someone very famous musically that would be well up for doing the title music for this.

He wanted me to hack the original game to put his music in, but this project would simply be better for everyone.

OmegaMax 19 May 2018 02:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1242174)

Have my doubts too