English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Amix (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Amiga Unix - awesome! (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=95945)

Honey Badger 19 January 2019 16:04

Amiga Unix - awesome!
 
Unix on an Amiga!! This is awesome. I downloaded Amix just to see if I could get it to work ... and yes, sure did ... within WinUAE.

Can relive some of my old university days ... command line Unix, C programming etc :)

Pyromania 19 January 2019 20:50

Cool, I'm going to try it this weekend too.

Honey Badger 19 January 2019 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyromania (Post 1298824)
Cool, I'm going to try it this weekend too.

The install instructions are well written & not terribly difficult - a bit of basic familiarity with partitioning a drive for Unix-type OS helps

and it is a full-fledged Unix system :)

Pyromania 20 January 2019 01:08

Nice, I’m a Linux Admin or so they say. I’ll figure it out, thanx for the tips.

hooverphonique 21 January 2019 13:03

FYI, you can get linux running on an Amiga as well - I set it up on my A4000 in the late 90's ;-)

Honey Badger 21 January 2019 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooverphonique (Post 1299173)
FYI, you can get linux running on an Amiga as well - I set it up on my A4000 in the late 90's ;-)

Yup! that would be cool as well ... imagine it would be roughly comparable to running slackware around 1995ish :)

MartinW 21 January 2019 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honey Badger (Post 1299257)
Yup! that would be cool as well ... imagine it would be roughly comparable to running slackware around 1995ish :)

Please no! I'm having palpitations just thinking back to that, let alone reliving it!!

nogginthenog 21 January 2019 21:26

I too ran Linux on my A4000 in the 90's. At the time there were no distributions. All I had was an old bootable image from an Atari user. Using that I formatted my drives and slowly built a more modern Linux from source. Great learning experience!

X-Windows was perfectly usable. Even apps like GIMP worked.
Debian/68k is available now but it's probably outdated.

68k is still supported in the mainstream kernel. A guy called Geert Uytterhoeven keeps the fire burning!

Pyromania 21 January 2019 21:34

I wish I had run Linux on my Amiga 4000 in the 1990’s.

redblade 22 January 2019 10:04

Yes but installation of a mix takes a long time because of the decompressing. I think installation takes 60 minutes. It did for me but it is great

hooverphonique 22 January 2019 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogginthenog (Post 1299264)
I too ran Linux on my A4000 in the 90's. At the time there were no distributions. All I had was an old bootable image from an Atari user. Using that I formatted my drives and slowly built a more modern Linux from source. Great learning experience!

X-Windows was perfectly usable. Even apps like GIMP worked.
Debian/68k is available now but it's probably outdated.

68k is still supported in the mainstream kernel. A guy called Geert Uytterhoeven keeps the fire burning!


Yes, Geert was also behind lots of the stuff back in the 90's. I too assembled my installation from bits from here and there - compiling a kernel took like a whole day or something..



I remember trying the "Lightning" window manager on the Amiga - slow as hell. On the other hand, I used 'AmiWM' as window manager on the Sun workstations at the university, which ran really well :D

Leffmann 22 January 2019 16:50

It's neither Unix nor Linux, but if someone is just looking for a Unix-like experience, then NetBSD supports Amiga and is actively developed:

https://netbsd.org/

nogginthenog 22 January 2019 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooverphonique (Post 1299382)
Yes, Geert was also behind lots of the stuff back in the 90's. I too assembled my installation from bits from here and there - compiling a kernel took like a whole day or something..

It certainly took a while :) I was lucky as I had a 'fast' 060 with SCSI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooverphonique (Post 1299382)
On the other hand, I used 'AmiWM' as window manager on the Sun workstations at the university, which ran really well :D

I used a 68030 Sun Workstation in 1993/4. Chatting to Amiga nerds across the world on Usenet was great. It didn't have a floppy so transferring Aminet downloads to my A500 was tricky.

Hewitson 23 January 2019 22:03

Can only assume everyone who used Linux had a graphics card as I have tried it on an 060 with AGA and even the console output was painfully slow. Completely unusable.

hooverphonique 24 January 2019 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewitson (Post 1299771)
Can only assume everyone who used Linux had a graphics card as I have tried it on an 060 with AGA and even the console output was painfully slow. Completely unusable.


Nope.. Never had a gfx card, just A4000 with A3640 and AGA.

Locutus 24 January 2019 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewitson (Post 1299771)
Can only assume everyone who used Linux had a graphics card as I have tried it on an 060 with AGA and even the console output was painfully slow. Completely unusable.


likely, modern kernels spawn a ~640x480 256 color fb, it wasn't so bad back in the day with a 1bpp or 4bpp fb.

alpine9000 26 January 2019 09:03

I tried to run the installer but it failed at the last step when patching the kernel. Wonder what I am doing wrong,

kolla 28 January 2019 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogginthenog (Post 1299264)
68k is still supported in the mainstream kernel. A guy called Geert Uytterhoeven keeps the fire burning!

Not just him, though he is the m68k git repo maintainer and all 68k related submits must be acked by him to slip through to main kernel repo.

Before he jumped to Linux, his main reason for fame in Amiga land was MuFS.
http://aminet.net/search?readme=Uytterhoeven


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:17.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.04301 seconds with 11 queries