English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   request.Demos (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   stingray being busy (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39216)

extralife 01 September 2008 14:01

stingray being busy

Not sure if this is where i should post it, but still it's a request.
So I see Stingray, u have been busy with whdinstalling demos lately, any chance Hardwired by TSL is gonna be fixed for 060 this time around :D??

StingRay 01 September 2008 14:10

Isn't there a proper WHDLoad patch for this one already?

Edit: I checked the readme for the WHDLoad patch of Hardwired and it seems it has problems with faster machines. As I've coded an own custom installer for this demo back in '97 it shouldn't be too hard to fix the WHDLoad version too. :) I'll have a look.

extralife 01 September 2008 14:17

really ? maybe I need to look again, but i do seem to remember it, excuse my language, kinda sucked

StingRay 01 September 2008 14:20

Check my edited post. :D We posted at the same time =)

musashi5150 01 September 2008 14:23

And someones PM box is full... isn't it Sting? :spin

StingRay 01 September 2008 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by musashi5150 (Post 453816)
And someones PM box is full... isn't it Sting? :spin

Right. :D I'm gonna fix that too. :P

extralife 01 September 2008 14:29

thx man, this is one fix i'm sure will be apreciated by more demolovers than me =)

StingRay 02 September 2008 21:34

I checked the available WHDLoad patch for Hardwired on my A4060 and it indeed didn't work that well. I just started to code a new WHDLoad slave from scratch but it will take a while until the fix is finished as there is A LOT to do. But the demo is of course worth it! :)

extralife 03 September 2008 16:23

Yes, I checked it myself the other night on my 1260 and had black screens in some places and strange looking stuff on screen lol and it allways was a mysterie to me why none of u good coders out there ever got this piece of demo history (despite the awfull music lol) to work right on "modern" amiga rigs :)
So Stingray, this is super good news and i'm pretty sure u will get it right, coz i know u love the old classic demos as much as the next guy, from what i can tell on your posts around the different scene spots anyways.
I'll be watching this space and please take your time, we have been waiting like 14 years for this, so a little more waiting is least of all problems i guess :)
Take your time and do it right and I will be forever gratefull :)

StingRay 03 September 2008 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by extralife (Post 454703)
Yes, I checked it myself the other night on my 1260 and had black screens in some places and strange looking stuff on screen lol

I noticed exactly the same problems (black screen f.e. in the "48 faces glenz" part). I'm currently trying to find out why that happens. For some reason it only seems to happen on a real Amiga, on UAE this part is visible. But as said, I'm working on a proper fix. :)

Galahad/FLT 03 September 2008 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 454714)
I noticed exactly the same problems (black screen f.e. in the "48 faces glenz" part). I'm currently trying to find out why that happens. For some reason it only seems to happen on a real Amiga, on UAE this part is visible. But as said, I'm working on a proper fix. :)

It uses a blitter copperlist if I remember correctly for that part

StingRay 03 September 2008 17:15

Yes it does but this shouldn't cause a black screen. :) There are even proper blitter waits in that copperlist ;)

Galahad/FLT 03 September 2008 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 454717)
Yes it does but this shouldn't cause a black screen. :) There are even proper blitter waits in that copperlist ;)

Would suggest that its a timing issue then, the blit waits are now probably the cause of the no show on a faster machine.

skan 03 September 2008 18:51

Well well well! I asked for that fix 4 years ago (along with 1000 other fixes, Desert Dream being at teh top of the list) and now it's gonna get done in few days??!?!?
STINGRAY YOU BASSTARED! F**K YOU!!! ;)

On a serious note: it's good to see you around! C ya later "you-know-where!";D

extralife 04 September 2008 16:02

dont worry skan, I will be buggin him for a propper fix of the mighty kefrens demo next, he just doesn't know it yet :D
to sting, yes that was the exact same place it startet to go wrong here too m8

Wepl 04 September 2008 18:37

I have spend many hours on fixing that demo. I wish you much luck Stingray. Maybe not done in a few minutes ;)

StingRay 04 September 2008 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wepl (Post 455033)
I have spend many hours on fixing that demo. I wish you much luck Stingray. Maybe not done in a few minutes ;)

Definitely not done in a few minutes. :) I'm still trying to find out the reason for the black screen in the Glenz part. And that's just one of MANY problems with the demo. :) This will take a while as already said. :)

extralife 21 September 2008 12:46

Hmm just checking in to see if u are still bughunting on this one stingray :D
Keep us posted on how u fare on this one ok, I for one would be kinda interested to know of the strange stuff u probly dig up by debugging this one :)

StingRay 21 September 2008 13:58

Yes I am, don't worry ;) I still didn't find the reason for the black screen problem and until this one isn't fixed I won't continue fixing the other parts. I already fixed a lot of stuff in the demo though (50x SMC f.e.). Just be patient. :)

Photon 21 September 2008 14:28

If it uses the copper for blitting, probably the vblank sets bpl pointers and normal display regs? Perhaps the 060 incompatibility is there? Or are there no pixels in the framebuffers?