English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lightwave 3D - Showroom & Tutorials (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=86234)

Muadib 15 February 2017 22:16

Lightwave 3D - Showroom & Tutorials

Greetings,

This thread is for support for Lightwave 3D, technical issues as well as techniques, methods and tutorials.

Welcome!

All best,
Muadib

Amiga Raytracing Society

d4rk3lf 27 February 2017 13:22

Hey mate.
I've tried installing Lightwave yesterday on my Amiga Forever (I've picked up Amiga 4000, and created virtual HD), however I can't find correct installation of Lightwave. Or, I don't know how to install it.
I found some 2MB Lightwave 5,2 version on EAB FTP, but it's lzx format, and I have no idea how to open that on Amiga (or PC) and to install.
I also found LW 3.5, and started installing it, however it asks me for a disk 7, and I only have 6 disks.

Can you point me how to instal LW, it doesn't have to be on Amiga Forever, I can use Winuae, or whatever that works. Also do you have some links where I can download proper LW installation (adf, dds format)?
I would be happy with working 3.5 version, doesn't have to be latest Amiga version.

Thanks in advance.

Muadib 27 February 2017 15:46

Hey!
Lzx can be found on Aminet, it works then just like lha, e.g. lzx x

First download from EAB FTP this package:
ftp://ftp:any@grandis.nu/Commodore_A...e.CD.Setup.lzx

and install it. Then dl all these:
http://grandis.nu:81/eabsearch/searc...de=&limit=1000

The NFOs are just info files, the others are the release version that you will overwrite over the previous installation. Let me know how it goes! :)

UPDATE: Amipanel.lha is a plugin, IIRC it's an update. Just extract and copy to the Plug-Ins folder of the LW installation.

HanSolo 27 February 2017 17:03

I have file LWPanels.P (size 111344 bytes) in plugin directory dated 26-Feb-97 , file in amipanel.lha have 112492 bytes, but seems to be older (dated 10-Jul-96). Which should I use ? Both don't have version string.

Muadib 27 February 2017 17:14

Hmmm, dunno... Just download the Amipanel.lha I mentioned earlier, which is the latest, and try to load it from inside LW's layout. If it accepts it, then you're all set!

P.S.: LW 5.0r is the latest version for the Amiga. The 5.1 and 5.2 versions are fake copies of ver 5.0a. Amipanel shouldn't have any problem loading through whichever version, though...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

d4rk3lf 27 February 2017 18:28

Thanks MuadDib, I really appreciate your effort to help me.

However, in Amiga Forever app, I just can't load lzx, it refuses anything that is not adf, or dms or similar formats.
I don't get why this Lightwave installation have to be in lzx format? I've installed (for a test) Civilization and Wing commander (they are adf), and they work great, on my virtal A4000 with virtual HD.

I think I'll try with WinUAE. I've used Winuae so far only as a basic emulator (just loading from the disk drives), I haven't never configure A4000 with HD and that stuff... will try to do that now, and after that, to load that lzx Lightwave.

Sorry for my noobish struggling... I've checked your vimeo site, and there are some great animations in there mate. I like the Crab nebula shots the most. :) You should make a tutorial sometimes, if time allows you.

Cheers :)

Muadib 27 February 2017 18:33

Hey, thanks for your kind words, I am currently looking for a capture device that accepts DVI-D just for recording my Amiga-Indivision output for recording tutorials among other things...

This Amiga Forever app is something like a virtual Amiga, right? If so, you need to create an Amiga HD partition from it and then copy the files you downloaded in the partition. You then boot the Amiga, and run LZX from the Amiga environment. If this fails, you can do the same with UAE, which can be much more easy I guess than Amiga forever, although I haven't really used it myself.

Btw, have you ever used an Amiga Workbench environment with HDD etc.? Like in UAE?

d4rk3lf 27 February 2017 18:43

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muadib (Post 1143691)
You then boot the Amiga, and run LZX from the Amiga environment.

I've tried running LZX from Workbench (3,1) but with no success, I've even tried to unpack it on PC with Winrar, and I did it, and I can see files from Workbench, but then again, I don't see any execution file (for starting LW, or starting Install)
I'll attach you screenshot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muadib (Post 1143691)
Btw, have you ever used an Amiga Workbench environment with HDD etc.? Like in UAE?

Yes (on real Amiga 1200), but it was so long time a go, that I almost completely forgot Workbench. I remembered how to check "show all files", thou. :)
However, as I said, for the test, I've tried instaling Civ and Wing Commander... no problem there...

emufan 27 February 2017 19:11

you need the lzx archiver tool in your sys:c drawer.
open a shell/cli window. change to the directory where you have the lzx archive and extract the archive using:
lzx x archive.lzx

those packages do not have an installer, you just extract it and it should work.

#1) I've uploaded a cleaned up version of that archive to my folder. removed the scene files and useless folder:
~Uploads/emu/Lightwave/Lightwave.3D_v5.0r-CDSetup/LW50r_Incl.CDContent.lha

added content of the cd images, scenes, objects, added new lwpanel.p
added plugins to lw-config. binaries are version 5.0r
third icon "Assigns" will add toaster: and 3D: assigns

Muadib 27 February 2017 22:00

Exactly what Emufan said! Thanks for the support, emufan, much appreciated!

@DarkElf .lzx files are compressed archives. In this case, 'lzx' is the program/executable and the '*.lzx' files are the data to be uncompressed. If I remember correctly, typing just 'lzx' on a shell brings up help/documentation of how to use it.

stefcep2 28 February 2017 02:49

Does anyone know how to get Lightwave layout to show run on a 1024x768 CGX4 screen? And the preview to show on a CGX screen

emufan 28 February 2017 03:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefcep2 (Post 1143767)
Does anyone know how to get Lightwave layout to show run on a 1024x768 CGX4 screen? And the preview to show on a CGX screen

LWCyberGFX12
- add the plugin in layout ( options tab -> add plug-ins )
- run CyberGFXRendererPrefs and choose a screenmode and save.
- in layout record tab -> Render Display to GyberGfx

NewMode
this you can try to promote lightwave screen to a GyberGfx screen.

SnkBitten 28 February 2017 03:26

You can promote it with ModePro. The preview, are you talking the render screen or the "make preview" option? You can render the display to CyberGraphx with the CyberGraphx render display add on. The make preview will only work on the native chipset.

This thread has info on setting up Lightwave on Amithlon, just follow for the render display options...
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1042

stefcep2 28 February 2017 10:32

I'm getting activation failed error -2 when I go to Record->Render Display->Cybergfx.

Modepro promoted Layout tp CGX 1024x768 but the interface unusably slow- are you running it in winuae?

SnkBitten 28 February 2017 12:25

Did you run the CyberGFXRenderPrefs and choose the screenmode you want the rendered images to display on? You aren't going to promote it with ModePro, just pick it in CyberGFXRenderPrefs. I run Lightwave in both WinUAE (A4000T configuration to match my real A4000T) and Amithlon (no native chipset emulation at all, only RTG). In WinUAE I use the default 672x432 instead of promoting it since 'Make Preview' requires the Native screen modes. On my Amithlon system I promote to a 1024x768 screen as it handles it much much faster.

emufan 28 February 2017 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by HanSolo (Post 1143664)
I have file LWPanels.P (size 111344 bytes) in plugin directory dated 26-Feb-97 , file in amipanel.lha have 112492 bytes, but seems to be older (dated 10-Jul-96). Which should I use ? Both don't have version string.

i'm using the one with size 112492. i replaced the old one in maybe 3 places - somewhere in plugins/ modeler / layout - dunno anymore exactly.

stefcep2 28 February 2017 12:46

Thanks I got it. The CV64 just aint that quick!

d4rk3lf 28 February 2017 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by emufan (Post 1143697)
you need the lzx archiver tool in your sys:c drawer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muadib (Post 1143736)
Exactly what Emufan said! Thanks for the support, emufan, much appreciated!

Thanks guys.
At first, it didn't worked, but I found on a solution on net, and I'll post here if someone have similar problem.
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49025
(post 3).
So, I had to copy and rename proper files to both C and L directory, it finally worked, and it extracted archive with the command you gave me
Thanks.

But it's stil not working :D
I see Toaster folder and files, and when I try to start "Lightwave" or "Modeler" Icon, I got the message: "Please Insert volume Toaster in any drive".
Any idea what I can do?

Cheers to all.

emufan 28 February 2017 19:07

indeed, some more lines about lzx were usefull, if you never did that before. so the link is a good addition :)

about the toaster assign: depends on where you extracted the folder. assuming you have it in sys:toaster or dh1:toaster

open a shell cli and enter:
assign toaster: sys:toaster
assign 3D: sys:toaster
or
assign toaster: dh1:toaster
assign 3D: dh1:toaster

some essential tool is snoopdos - copy snoopdos and snoopdos.info into your sys:system folder
and start it when ever you feel the need for it.
it will help to track down those errors you have right now.

if one of the assigns does work, you can add it to your s:user-startup
in the shell type: ed s:user-startup

#1) just tested here, you need both assigns Toaster: and 3D:
these settings are stored in Toaster/Lightwave-Support/lw-config

#2) if not allready installed you should use some kind of directory tool, like Diskmaster or DOpus.
using them you can more easily copy, move rename files, even extracting some kind of archives is already pre configured.

Muadib 28 February 2017 20:08

Addendum to LW-Config and MOD-Config files:

Do not edit them if the LW programs are running, since the programs always overwrite them when quiting... That's for later, of course, when they are up and running. Good luck! :)