English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OS 4.1 FE Update 1: Expand RAM On WinUAE? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85388)

AMIGASYSTEM 02 January 2017 08:33

OS 4.1 FE Update 1: Expand RAM On WinUAE?

NEW o Support for Zorro 3 and mainboard memory as system memory instead of pager memory (Classic only, use NORAMPAGER commandline option)

This is the command to enable the RAM instead Zorro3 slot:
C:BootLoader COMMANDLINE="NoRamPager"

AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition, Update 1

amigafreak68k 02 January 2017 13:15

And what is the Question?

This works in WinUAE and FS-UAE after installing the update and setup ZIII RAM

AMIGASYSTEM 02 January 2017 14:19

I just wanted to see if now the memory is real or fictitious

vulture 02 January 2017 20:05

It's real. I mean, it's actually usable, if that's what you mean.

SnkBitten 02 January 2017 20:06

I just have

C: BootLoader COMMANDLINE "NORAMPAGER"

and it works just fine.

AMIGASYSTEM 03 January 2017 11:53

On a Windows system 32Bit you can not give to OS4 more than 512k of RAM, while a system with 64Bit I think we can give even OS4.1 1GB of RAM

vulture 03 January 2017 15:47

Actually you can configure zorram to be 768mb + the 128mb of CSPPC + 2MB of chip RAM you end up with 898mb of usable RAM. Maybe, you're even allowed to have A4000 board's 8mb fast RAM on as well, so that's 906MB total RAM. Not bad at all!

FOL 03 January 2017 16:23

It works as it was advertised.

andyhants 04 January 2017 18:54

Enough RAM now for games like WipeOut 2097

So can someone help me to understand the significance of this OS4.1 update please?

I run all Amiga stuff under WinUAE (3 iterations; A500 / KS 1.3, A1200 / KS 3.1, & OS3.9 / AmiKit V8). Despite the lousy software support I've kind of always wanted to complete the set with an OS 4.1 iteration especially since Tony did that great work to support OS 4. However ppl have kept reporting the issue of having bog-all RAM left under WinUAE due to something to do with the emulated PPC accelerators not supporting something something. As I understood it this meant that games like WipeOut 2097 wouldn't run so my question is now Hyperion (or whoever) have implemented this update does that solve the issue & mean that I can now run pretty much all OS4.1 games / apps under WinUAE?

Thanks

esc 04 January 2017 19:05

We're still hamstrung on Warp3D. We can either use Picasso IV for graphics, which I believe has 4mb video RAM (not nearly enough) or we can use uae graphics, which has some graphical issues in OS4 in my experience and isn't supported by Warp3D either.

Toni has mentioned co-opting some of the PCem 3dfx Voodoo code at some point, but AFAIK they've only gotten Voodoo 1 cards to work well at this point (I reserve the right to be wrong here).

thellier 04 January 2017 21:12

Hello

OS4 games use Compositing or Warp3D for drawing

Compositing is a kind of super-blitter including filtering/rotation/resizing/transparency
Warp3D is the standard 3D driver on Amiga OS

The two dont have hardware implementations on WinUAE/PPC

So you must fall back to Wazp3D & PatchCompositeTags that are software only implementations : so slooow

Today I dont know if games can run with those : dont have tried yet

I suppose MACE can run now as it was starting with PatchCompositeTags but was crashing due to slow memory...

Alain Thellier

elowan 04 January 2017 22:16

great - how did you manage to setup and install the update?

I got about 45MB of ram left, when OS4.1 is started - and after downloading update1 via ami-update, there are 2MB left and 0MB virtual mem...

At step 5/6 st about 72% done, the update stops and system does no respond anymore...

after restarting lates WinUAE 3.4, I just get a pink screen :crying

so maybe the (unfinished) update 1 destroyed my virtual OS4.1FE installation???

AMIGASYSTEM 04 January 2017 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by elowan (Post 1132344)
At step 5/6 st about 72% done, the update stops and system does no respond anymore...

If you started the upgrade from Windows shared folder, try instead to first copy the folder on the hard disk OS4 and from that folder starts updating. Do not forget to add in the startup-sequence "BootLoader COMMANDLINE = "NoRamPager", you can do it before the upgrade.

esc 04 January 2017 22:30

I unarchived the update to my hard drive instead of RAM and ran the updater from there. Sorry dude...good luck!

Toni Wilen 04 January 2017 22:35

AFAIK it is updater bug, it needs too much RAM to fit in available CSPPC RAM and has nothing to do with emulation. Don't use AmiUpdate to update it.

elowan 05 January 2017 11:05

thanks! I wish, I had knew that before destroying my system ;)

ok - will try to get the update as seperate DL and start installing from the win-shared folder/drive I setup

elowan 05 January 2017 19:53

hmmm, I did copy my backup to my Hdd and OS4.1Fe did fine.

I just changed the line in the startup-sequence,
DL the Update1 from hyperion website to my "windwos-swap-folder" and unpacked to my Work hdd and startet installation.

It seems like is was all good - then I restarted after installation and guess what - boom pinky screen is back again :confused sucks...

SnkBitten 05 January 2017 20:01

I did the update, made sure my WinUAE OS4.1 setup started and then made the change to s:startup-sequence.

I then used F12 "Restart" and relaunched the OS4.1 setup and additional memory was there. Did you control-amiga-amiga or restart? The update I believe does some kickstart patching which may need a "power off" vs. just rebooting.

AMIGASYSTEM 05 January 2017 20:02

After installation you came from and restarted WinUAE emulation, After installation you waited that became active the tab for restart? you have OS4.1 Clssic or OS4,1 FE?

elowan 05 January 2017 20:08

I got os 4.1Fe classic runnin in WinUAE 3.4 (got the 32 and 64bit version)

My config has Z3 RAM 1GB (tried 256MB as well) and I put C:BootLoader COMMANDLINE="NoRamPager" in the strartup-seq.

after installer was finished, it suggested a reboot anyways, so I confimed and finished installer... the rebbot shows just the pinky screnn of death ;)