English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   DiskImage: How does it work? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=60453)

alkis21 06 August 2011 19:27

DiskImage: How does it work?

There must be an easy and embarrassing answer to this, but I can't figure it out so I'd appreciate it some help.

I installed DiskImage on my A1200 but I can't get it to work. What I do is this (in shell, but using the GUI gets me the same result):

-I mount the drive DI0: by double clicking it in Storage/DOSDrivers
-I type DiskImageCtrl unit 0 insert test.adf (a DOS disk I'm using to test it)
-I then type DiskImageCtrl to confirm that I did it correctly, and sure enough, the following line is on top of the list:
unit 0: DI0: "HD:A/4/TEST.ADF" (read/write)

The question is, what then? I thought I'd only need to type DI0: in Shell to access the contents of the disk, but when I do I get an Unknown command error.

What am I doing wrong?

thomas 07 August 2011 00:02

If you open Storage/DosDrivers/DI0 in a text editor you'll see that it refers to L:CrossDosFileSystem. If you don't have CrossDosFileSystem in L it won't work. And if the ADF disk is not PC formatted, it will be unreadable. Likewiese DI1 uses FAT95. DI2 and on don't have a file system explicitly specified, so they probably use the default Amiga file system (a.k.a. OFS).

Obviously these are only examples and you need to make a DIx which suits your needs. DI2 is probably ready for your use, it looks like a 880k geometry with Amiga file system. Didn't try it, though.

alkis21 07 August 2011 00:21

If I try to mount DI2-DI4, they give me the mysterious error message:
'BootBlocks' is not a valid keyword (file 'DI2', line 24, column 1)

DI5 gets mounted but if I try to access the ADF I get a not a valid DOS disk message, which is not true.

thomas 07 August 2011 00:45

Just remove the BootBlocks line from the dosdriver. It's for an older (or newer?) version of the Mount command.

The DI5 device is for MS-DOS HD floppy disks. Please read the comments in the files. They are there for a reason.

alkis21 07 August 2011 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 771373)
Please read the comments in the files. They are there for a reason.

I hear you Thomas, but shouldn't all this be in the documentation? It doesn't occur to me to open the files of every program I download in a Text Editor. :)

Anyway, I shouldn't complain about a great (not to mention free) piece of software. Thanks to you, I got it to work. Cheers!

rare_j 08 August 2011 15:12

Yes I had the same problem with diskimage, it is a very powerful program with great documentation, except very little information about the mountlists!

The mountlists themselves which are provided have some comments in but they're not very helpful, and I had to work a lot of it out for myself.
I came up with a mountlist for FFS HDF hardfiles that works (tested hundreds of times) but I still dont fully understand some of the entries.