English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   whdload on a stock 1200 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=11513)

Mozzy 07 October 2003 20:30

whdload on a stock 1200

will this work? if so what am i doing wrong whenever i try to install it it says "unable to run your tool install"

yadster 07 October 2003 20:47

I'm no expert but I think it's looking for the installer file in the C directory. I'm sure it'll be on Aminet but if you want I can email you it or post it in Da Zone.

yadster 07 October 2003 20:49

Forgot to mention that most WHDLoad games require some fast ram so there won't many that will run a bog standard 1200.

Mozzy 07 October 2003 20:56

if you could put it on the zone thatd be nifty

Amiga1992 07 October 2003 22:15

FFS, Installer can be found in the AMINET

Fast Ram is not needed if the PRELOAD option is not used. With this option off you can load a shitload of ECS games

yadster 07 October 2003 22:15

I've uploaded it :) Any problems let me know. I originally downloaded it from BTTR as an ADF file and extracted the contents then compressed again using rar.

gary 08 October 2003 02:33

Quote:

Forgot to mention that most WHDLoad games require some fast ram so there won't many that will run a bog standard 1200.
About 180 of the WHDload games I have running on a CD32 compilation will run on a bog standard A1200 without fastram. Thats not too bad.

yadster 08 October 2003 12:20

Sorry about that, was getting a bit carried away. I have the CD32-100 comp and there's some classics on there - more than enough to keep a miggy user occupied :)

Mozzy 08 October 2003 16:34

sorry to be a pain in the ass but how do i turn preload off? ive been reading the docs and it says i should have a whdload.prefs in my S: folder but i cant find any such file and wouldent know what to put in it if i created one:confused cant get anything to work and im sure this is the prob heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

moonstone (which i whdinstalled) stops with the whdload message "can't allocate ExpMem"

yadster 08 October 2003 17:07

Quote:

Originally posted by Mozzy
moonstone (which i whdinstalled) stops with the whdload message "can't allocate ExpMem"
I'm guessing that it's saying that it's looking but unable to find any extra memory. To be honest I've never used the preload option as I have an extra 32 meg.

As for the prefs file maybe you need to use the "show all files option" and edit it using ED or something.

As for Moonstone you need the registered version of WHDLoad to run it iirc.

Then again those three statements might be absolutely wrong but I'm sure there's more experienced miggy users who will explain.

Amiga1992 08 October 2003 17:58

Obviously there is no such file, you have to create it. Use "ed". That easy :)

Mozzy 08 October 2003 18:59

so what do i write in this file that im creating?

yadster 08 October 2003 19:10

http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/opt.html

All your questions answered in the faq.

Mozzy 08 October 2003 19:34

ive been reading that page for the last hour.. i do look at docs you know however unbelievable it may seem:eek frankly it confused the fuck out of me whats this /s switcher business can someone just tell me how to stop that damn message from appearing and get things working. Then ill pay pall that geezer some cash and register the damn thing

be paitent and spoon feed me info eh i only got a 1200 yesterday

the cli it specifies is
WHDLoad SuperGame.Slave Preload NTSC QuitKey=69 Custom1=1

now if im getting this the omitting of the preload option will disble preload...however im still getting that error message

SuperGame = moonstone in my case

Mozzy 08 October 2003 19:51

ok hammering away i got it to go.. guess ive just been doing typos

bizzare tho that EXACTLY the same option lines wont work when attatched to the icon :/

Codetapper 08 October 2003 21:34

s:WHDLoad.prefs

A far easier solution is to download the WHDLoad development archive and copy the s:whdload.prefs file out of there - then you just need to comment out the lines you don't want!

I will suggest to Wepl that he includes it in the normal archive for the next release.

Mozzy 08 October 2003 22:09

i can only get moonstone and cannonfodder 2 to install and run :/ all the rest have that cant allocate message.. even basejumpers which is one disk and is well bizzare

Amiga1992 09 October 2003 01:48

After boot-up, how much free ram do you have left?

gary 09 October 2003 02:20

I don't understand why moonstone could work on a standard CD32 but not an A1200 as there is more free RAM after an A1200 bootup about 1.8 meg free, although I don't know your exact configuration.

Things you can try:
1. Boot without a startup-sequence and try running whdload manually. You may have all sorts of weird and wonderful tools that are started up at boot time thich can be nice but can hog valuable memory.
2. This command I found works on most whdload games on a CD32:
Code:

whdload game.slave PRELOAD NOVBRMOVE
This is my S:WHDLOAD.PREFS file. It doesn't really do anything to modify memory requirements:
Code:

ReadDelay=50
CoreDumpPath=ram:
NoFilter
SplashDelay=0

3. Try a different/newer version of 'whdload' with the game.
4. Unplug extra drives and reduce hard drive buffers as these also use memory.
5. get a program called 'add44k' (or add21k) which changes the default workbench/cli screen depth from 4 colours to 2 colours saving a little more 'chip' memory.

Mozzy 09 October 2003 17:48

Quote:

Originally posted by Akira
After boot-up, how much free ram do you have left?
roughly 1.45 - 1.65 mb