English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   "Gag programs" for the Amiga (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=99819)

Cherno 26 November 2019 22:51

"Gag programs" for the Amiga

I faintly remember a disk that had various "gag programs" that mostly created weird and annoying effects in the workbench environment (they were all workbench executables). The only one I can really remember is a melting effect, where the whole workbench screen with all windows and drawers melts and sags towards the bottom and you can't do anything anymore. I think most of these simple programs had a way to reset them with the Escape key or something, but for some, you just had to restart the poor Amiga. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

AmigaEd 27 November 2019 05:41

One that I remember was called "Vacbench". It changed the mouse pointer into a vacuum cleaner and as you moved the pointer around the screen it would "suck up" everything off of the screen.

Matt_H 27 November 2019 06:00

There were two that I used somewhat regularly. One involved lemmings wandering around and falling off the sides of windows. I think this is it.

The other I think was called WBSnow and involved snow falling and accumulating on the Workbench. There’s a program on Aminet under that name but the one I had was much older. Not sure if it was an older version or a different program entirely. If the latter, I should check to see if I have the archive somewhere. (I suspect there is a lot of older North American Amiga shareware/freeware currently missing from Aminet.)

Pfloyd 27 November 2019 08:31

I remember a program which does apparently nothing. No output at all.

But after a couple of minutes, a fullscreen skull appears and a scream sample is played.

Predseda 27 November 2019 08:44

I have a whole collection of these ;)

Anubis 27 November 2019 12:24

iirc Amiga Format cover discs used to have few of those regularly....

pipper 27 November 2019 19:08

Or the one where cockroaches live underneath the workbench windows. When you move the window, the cockroaches hurry to the next window to hide behind [emoji23]

Predseda 27 November 2019 21:20

I have all those mentioned above :)

capehorn 27 November 2019 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 1361684)
iirc Amiga Format cover discs used to have few of those regularly....

They were called 'Workbench Hacks' and they featured regularly on random early AF coverdisks.

Nightshft 28 November 2019 02:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1361836)
I have all those mentioned above :)

Would you mind upping them to the zone? I'd really like to try them out on my Miggies.

rutra80 28 November 2019 14:00

There surely were such programs on Network CD by Weird Science.

Predseda 28 November 2019 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightshft (Post 1361892)
Would you mind upping them to the zone? I'd really like to try them out on my Miggies.

Sure :agree
But on Sunday. I am just leaving for 4 days Amiga party :crazy

Matt_H 28 November 2019 14:44

game/gag on Aminet is mostly these kinds of programs.

And I believe the snow program I mentioned in my previous post is game/gag/snow.lha

DamienD 28 November 2019 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_H (Post 1361953)
game/gag on Aminet is mostly these kinds of programs.

Yeah wow, loads of them: http://de.aminet.net/aminet/game/gag/

I want to try ARoach ;)

Nightshft 30 November 2019 15:17

Ah, cool thanks! No time today, will look into it the next days. Cheers!
@Predseda Enjoy the Party! 4 days, OMG :D:cheese

Pyromania 30 November 2019 15:28

These programs are a gag.

:)

Jope 02 December 2019 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by capehorn (Post 1361848)
They were called 'Workbench Hacks' and they featured regularly on random early AF coverdisks.

Also known as screen hacks.