English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Games (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Atari ST to Amiga Conversion : Dungeon Master Data Disks (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=102377)

ransom1122 24 May 2020 06:46

Atari ST to Amiga Conversion : Dungeon Master Data Disks
 
As the title suggest can these standalone Dungeon Master Data disks be converted to Amiga ?

Dungeon Master - Legend of Skulldeep.st
Dungeon Master - The Grave of King Millias.st
Dungeon Master Data Disk 1 - Kids Dungeon.st
Dungeon Master Data Disk 2 - The Tomb of King Hissssa.st
Dungeon Master Data Disk 3 - Beastmaster.st
Dungeon master Data Disk 4 - Bennis Dungeon 1 - The Lair of Chaos.st
Dungeon Master Data Disk 5 - Conan and the Mountain of Tor Al'Kiir.st
Dungeon master Data Disk 6 - Conflux.st

alexh 24 May 2020 07:48

Ask Meynaf, I think he did some already. He ported the ST version of dungeon master to the Amiga

http://meynaf.free.fr/pr/index_en.html

ransom1122 24 May 2020 08:50

I dont see any contact information on his website nor do I see Maynef's username in eab? :confused

lilalurl 24 May 2020 08:57

It is because elaxh misspelt meynaf as maynef:
http://eab.abime.net/member.php?u=10303

ransom1122 24 May 2020 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilalurl (Post 1402086)
It is because elaxh misspelt meynaf as maynef:
http://eab.abime.net/member.php?u=10303

:laughing I thought it was Ma as well instead of Me... LOL

Message sent.. Thanks guys :great

meynaf 25 May 2020 08:46

These are just examples of the many custom dungeons that are available in the wild.

In theory it's as easy as copying a single file : take dungeon.dat out of the disk, then use it as regular dungeon. If you take files out of these .ST disks, you should see many identical files from one dungeon to another (normally everything apart the dungeon, but who knows - i haven't checked).

But be awared that you use these at your own risks. They often do dirty things that may misbehave, lock the game up, or even crash. For example, putting a door descriptor item on a cell that's not a door. Or linking same object in several places. This is due to the fact the dungeon format was poorly known by the time they were made, so if they didn't get a fix since, well, you know what to expect. Sometimes authors even wanted to be smart asses and used "undocumented behaviors" that will of course fail miserably on other game versions...

ransom1122 25 May 2020 09:03

Does the dungeon.dat in the ST data disks also work on Amiga version by replacing the dat file?

If so how does one transfer a file from ST to Amiga, hence why the question was brought to your attention..

I understand of the dirty tricks used in custom dungeons scenario... The 8 listed ST Data disks seem to be the only ones available in the gamebase set or wherever I ended up getting them? Tosec. Not 100% sure..

I am assuming these 8 would be the better custom dungeons created then lame ones created by noobz on the interwebz.

meynaf 25 May 2020 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ransom1122 (Post 1402295)
Does the dungeon.dat in the ST data disks also work on Amiga version by replacing the dat file?

Short answer is yes.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ransom1122 (Post 1402295)
If so how does one transfer a file from ST to Amiga, hence why the question was brought to your attention..

Perhaps xadUnDisk (from xad package) command can extract files from the image disk.
If it does not, the best way would be using emulator such as Hatari, setup a host dir as HD, then transfer the files from the disk images.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ransom1122 (Post 1402295)
I understand of the dirty tricks used in custom dungeons scenario... The 8 listed ST Data disks seem to be the only ones available in the gamebase set or wherever I ended up getting them? Tosec. Not 100% sure..

I can not tell why these particular dungeons have been turned into ST disks. Most of them were originally made for PC DM.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ransom1122 (Post 1402295)
I am assuming these 8 would be the better custom dungeons created then lame ones created by noobz on the interwebz.

Well, they are not - at least from a technical point of view (haven't played them so i can't tell more).

ransom1122 26 May 2020 00:44

@Meynef OK...

I moved the dat file from Dungeon Master Data Disk 1 - Kids Dungeon.st into Dungeon Master v2.0 (1988)(FTL).adf and it does seem to work ok.

When I get some spare time I'll convert and upload all the above 8 data disks and put them in the zone

ransom1122 26 May 2020 11:39

I have converted all the above Atari ST games on the first post to Amiga ADF's

They are all uploaded in my ftp folder..

@meynaf Were there any other "good" DM data disks you recall?

meynaf 26 May 2020 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ransom1122 (Post 1402530)
@meynaf Were there any other "good" DM data disks you recall?

Not really, i haven't played most of the ones i found.
I made a few custom dungeons myself, though, but i've hit too many engine limitations so they require my custom version of the program.

ransom1122 26 May 2020 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by meynaf (Post 1402537)
Not really, i haven't played most of the ones i found.
I made a few custom dungeons myself, though, but i've hit too many engine limitations so they require my custom version of the program.

I wouldnt mind trying out the adf of your own dungeons if it they're available. Not sure if you know, Im a veteran DM player :agree Finished it twice, and 2nd time spending months and months maxxing out all the players stats :agree

meynaf 26 May 2020 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ransom1122 (Post 1402538)
I wouldnt mind trying out the adf of your own dungeons if it they're available. Not sure if you know, Im a veteran DM player :agree Finished it twice, and 2nd time spending months and months maxxing out all the players stats :agree

It's for hard drive usage, not adf. But it's available from my site, as alexh linked.
By the way, ever tried chaos strikes back ? DM is just too easy ;)

ransom1122 26 May 2020 13:11

Yeah i saw your link on your site, I'll have a look.

Csb defeated me many times, it's very different to DM, the maze like dungeons got me more confused.

meynaf 26 May 2020 13:45

Then read the readme of my dungeons prior to playing one. Most are even more difficult than csb (and often more maze-like as well)...

ransom1122 26 May 2020 14:18

I will thx


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:28.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.04718 seconds with 11 queries