English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.CD32 Conversion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Road Avenger CD32 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81091)

earok 12 January 2016 06:48

Road Avenger CD32

Also known as "Road Blaster" and "Vehicular Homicide Hero"

Yet another project I'll probably never finish! I only really got to the investigation stage before moving on to other projects, no code for it has been written at all.

As you can see it'd look nicer than the Sega CD version in HAM video (converted from a LaserDisc rip) since IIRC the Sega CD can only play back video in 16 colours.

My general plan was to use the CDGSXL player (written in C) as a base, but have it parse a basic text file script for the game. Eg in pseudocode the script might look vaguely like

Code:

AT FRAME 1000 PRESS RED ELSE DIE
Which of course would mean it could be recycled for other FMV conversions too, like Space Ace or Dragon's Lair.

Note that I did the conversions as HAM6, I could do them with HAM8 for near perfect image quality but it'd result in either a screen size or frame rate reduction.

http://i.imgur.com/wQ8gugd.png?1

Amigajay 12 January 2016 08:17

Tbh was never a big fan of these types of games but am willing to try esp as its still a new game! Id let you decide which is best, if it plays better at 12fps go for that or 8fps is still fine then go for it :-)

earok 12 January 2016 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigajay (Post 1062091)
Tbh was never a big fan of these types of games

Me neither really but Road Avenger is a favorite of mine, from the awesome into song (exclusive to Sega CD), the absurd anime physics, and well I don't know, it just feels more playable to me than most other laserdisc games.

Belgarath 12 January 2016 09:29

Road Avenger is a guilty pleasure of mine as well, it's great to pick up now and again for a quick game or 2.

earok 12 January 2016 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgarath (Post 1062099)
Road Avenger is a guilty pleasure of mine as well, it's great to pick up now and again for a quick game or 2.

:great try the SNES port if you haven't already. It doesn't work on all emulators or real hardware without some kind of add-on but it's superb.

ReadOnlyCat 03 February 2016 06:08

What a great idea!
Moreover the HAM mode is ideally suited to fast image filling for animated cartoons like this.

Note that the license was still exploited actively in 2009 by the rights-holder (cf link below) and they made an iOS version of it not too far ago. Maybe they would be willing to license it cheaply for the Amiga? Definitely worth asking in my opinion. ;)

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS1...009+MW20090113

earok 03 February 2016 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat (Post 1067789)
What a great idea!
Moreover the HAM mode is ideally suited to fast image filling for animated cartoons like this.

Note that the license was still exploited actively in 2009 by the rights-holder (cf link below) and they made an iOS version of it not too far ago. Maybe they would be willing to license it cheaply for the Amiga? Definitely worth asking in my opinion. ;)

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS1...009+MW20090113

I'll keep it in mind, cheers ;)

Amigajay 03 February 2016 11:16

Well the SNES version got released with no news of lawsuits, i don't imagine a lower key CD32 release would have any problems.

ReadOnlyCat 04 February 2016 05:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigajay (Post 1067821)
Well the SNES version got released with no news of lawsuits, i don't imagine a lower key CD32 release would have any problems.

I also think the odds of a lawsuit are inexistent.
But I was actually more focused on the possibility of an official CD32 release which would be newsworthy. Moreover, the support lends itself nicely to an inexpensive physical distribution.

Road Avenger is on my todo-list as well, so when its turn comes, if Earok hasn't asked, I will. :)
(Note: it is very very far down the list, won't touch it for several years at least unless my productivity mysteriously jumps up.)

s2325 14 February 2016 15:46

Useless trivia: Car in Road Avenger and in Double Dragon is the same.

jayminer 14 February 2016 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2325 (Post 1070360)
Useless trivia: Car in Road Avenger and in Double Dragon is the same.

Did you also watch Gamesack today? :D

s2325 14 February 2016 16:54

yes ;)

Retro1234 14 February 2016 19:23

Is it possible to have the the video with the Arrows on screen - Do these ever change position

Can you go strate in another clip say you wanted to do something like Mad Dog?

earok 15 February 2016 03:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Boo (Post 1070401)
Is it possible to have the the video with the Arrows on screen - Do these ever change position

Can you go strate in another clip say you wanted to do something like Mad Dog?

The arrows etc are generated at run time. Longplays of the game will have the arrows on screen, but the LaserDisc rip I found did not.

Not sure what you mean by the second question?

Retro1234 15 February 2016 12:10

Cut from one video scene to another without the screen going blank while loading next scene

earok 15 February 2016 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Boo (Post 1070556)
Cut from one video scene to another without the screen going blank while loading next scene

Oh right, I follow now.

I think it's hard to avoid skips between clips. In Road Avenger a single perfect play is all in one clip so there's no lag if you're playing perfectly, but I think there is a short delay if you get killed as it jumps to the death scene.

Retro1234 15 February 2016 12:18

Maybe something like Mad Dog McCree could maybe work?
it would only need a simple script in the background - but cutting to death scene could be a problem

earok 15 February 2016 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Boo (Post 1070559)
Maybe something like Mad Dog McCree could maybe work?
it would only need a simple script in the background - but cutting to death scene could be a problem

Mad dog mcree is already an Amiga game (core of the arcade cabinet was an Amiga). Maybe someone can hack it to run without the laserdisc hardware ;)

SkulleateR 15 February 2016 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by earok (Post 1070562)
Mad dog mcree is already an Amiga game (core of the arcade cabinet was an Amiga). Maybe someone can hack it to run without the laserdisc hardware ;)

Now THAT would be awesome :D

Retro1234 30 December 2016 11:34

Did you have any luck with this? Do you think Mad Dog is possible? can you jump to the correct position in a cdxl file with the standard cdxl viewer without problems?

Can you play CD audio while a CDXL is playing?