English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WinUAE on Intel NUC audio turns itself off?!? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=93272)

ProdigalAmigan 06 July 2018 02:05

WinUAE on Intel NUC audio turns itself off?!?

Hello fellow Amigans!

Just recently I helped my dad setup an Intel NUC (Core i3) in the livingroom so he could watch streamed stuff off the internet, and thought I'd have a little fun testing WinUAE on it (and on the huge TV in the livingroom)...

Long story short, on this Intel NUC running Windows 10 the sound refuses to work right - in full screen. As long as I keep WinUAE in windowed mode everything seems to be working just fine....

But go to full screen display and the sound goes completely quiet. Looking then in the settings for audio it is set to output sound on the default device (in this case HDMI (Intel Graphics) to a Samsung TV).

Then I noticed the sound emulation is set to "Emulated but disabled", this is not what I set it to when configuring things. So far I have no been successful in fixing this issue... :banghead

Any help would be much appreciated.

//ProdigalAmigan

Toni Wilen 06 July 2018 09:31

I think this was reported once before. Sound device simply reports error with reason "device removed" (as in unplugged on the fly) which makes no sense.

WinUAE will attempt to open it few, without success and finally it switches sound emulation off.

You can try different sound options (wasapi,wasapi ex, directsound). Try also 44100 vs 48000Hz.

DirectSound probably keeps working but it isn't most optimal option anymore (more latency).

ProdigalAmigan 06 July 2018 12:39

First of all, thank you for your reply Toni! Also big thanks for continuing to develop this most amazing Amiga emulator. I think thanks to you no matter what happens the Amiga will have every possibility to survive and THRIVE as technology marches on and improves. :bowdown

Quote:

DirectSound probably keeps working but it isn't most optimal option anymore (more latency).
I tried everything I think. DirectX9 vs DirectX10, WASAPI vs DirectSound. It just seems to turn off the sound when in full screen mode. Is there a fix for this? It would be so sweet to be able to play Amiga games and watch those good old demos on a huge TV. :D

(I also have a real Amiga 1200 fully upgraded with a 17" BenQ monitor as well as WinUAE setup on both my desktop and laptop computers but still it is so weird that the sound just cuts out....)

Toni Wilen 06 July 2018 13:12

I have no idea, it sounds like a driver bug but it should also affect every game too but apparently it does not.

As I said, it makes no sense..

Attach log (tick misc panel logging checkbox before starting emulation): start emulation (can be basic A500 config without disks, make sure Sound panel autoswitching is off) in windowed mode, then enter GUI and switch to fullscreen, wait few seconds. Exit. Attach log. To confirm error is same.

Do you have any USB sound devices? Does it keep working normally? (I assume it does)

ProdigalAmigan 06 July 2018 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1252545)
Attach log (tick misc panel logging checkbox before starting emulation): start emulation (can be basic A500 config without disks, make sure Sound panel autoswitching is off) in windowed mode, then enter GUI and switch to fullscreen, wait few seconds. Exit. Attach log. To confirm error is same.

Do you have any USB sound devices? Does it keep working normally? (I assume it does)

Okay I did exactly as instructed by you, but the winuae.log does not get created at all. I assume it goes to the installation directory of WinUAE? I have disabled UAC in Windows 10, and I am running WinUAE as an administrator for full read/write priviliges too.

No I have no USB audio devices connected to the computer. The only audio output is the one which is integrated into the NUC.

//ProdigalAmigan

Toni Wilen 06 July 2018 16:47

Check winuaebootlog.txt (same directory as winuae.exe), last line should tell where winuaelog.txt is located. It is not necessarily in same path.

SyX 06 July 2018 18:33

My original bug report is here.

If you need that I make new logs, only ask.

Toni Wilen 06 July 2018 19:58

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.7z logs removal reason, perhaps it helps.. (""WASAPI OnSessionDisconnected xxx")

Did you check for driver updates. Yes, it sounds obvious but for some reason there appears to be different versions of Intel drivers and when I installed new laptop, I noticed latest version (with highest major version number) was not installed or even offered by manufacturer. (Old driver did work but it didn't support custom resolutions, new one worked fine)

There is at least 24.x.x.x, 23.x.x.x and 15.x.x.x. All apparently "current" versions for different CPU families and not all CPUs seem to be even listed under supported CPUs..

Check also "Intel(R) Display Audio" version in device manager.

Which exact NUC model and Windows version?

ProdigalAmigan 10 July 2018 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1252639)
Did you check for driver updates. Check also "Intel(R) Display Audio" version in device manager. Which exact NUC model and Windows version?

Hello Toni I apologize for not having responded until now but my parents had relatives come visit over the weekend and they just left today so I wasn't able to mess around with this for a few days.

When I installed this Intel NUC machine (Core i3 something Kabylake architecture) I used Windows 10 LTSB 1607 to avoid a lot of the crap that Windows 10 installs by default. Yes, I did try Windows 7 but could not get it to play nice (also with regard to HDMI audio) so had to use Windows 10.

I installed the drivers using the latest Snappy Driver Installer which usually works a treat but I'll make sure to check tomorrow if there's any newer driver out there that I could try. Literally everything else works a treat. Only WinUAE not wanting to play nice. (I blame Windows 10, The NUC itself and the drivers in that order!) - no blame is to fall on you Toni .... If I can't run WinUAE on the NUC then so be it.

//ProdigalAmigan

thomas 11 July 2018 08:16

Just use fullwindow instead of fullscreen. Same experience, but does not switch resolutions.

SyX 11 July 2018 14:36

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 1253564)
Just use fullwindow instead of fullscreen. Same experience, but does not switch resolutions.

Except that there is a big difference, because in fullscreen mode i can set the refresh of my monitor at 50 Hz and after close WinUAE, the display returns at 60 Hz. While in fullwindow, the refresh rate is the same of the desktop, 60 Hz.

Sorry by the delay Toni, i tested the executable and i got these logs, but the error is the same:
Code:

WASAPI: GetDevice(NULL) 80070490
Sorry, can't initialize sound.

The Intel Display Audio driver that i am using has a date of 06/12/2017 and the version number is 10.24.0.3. And at least in the Intel site there is not new version at all.

Toni Wilen 11 July 2018 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SyX (Post 1253640)
Sorry by the delay Toni, i tested the executable and i got these logs, but the error is the same:
[CODE]WASAPI: GetDevice(NULL) 80070490
Sorry, can't initialize sound.

Redownload today's winuae.7z, it is possible version you downloaded didn't have notification enabled (because it is not going to be in official version).

Single winuaelog.txt is enough.

Quote:

The Intel Display Audio driver that i am using has a date of 06/12/2017 and the version number is 10.24.0.3. And at least in the Intel site there is not new version at all.
What is the version of Intel GPU driver? I think it comes with it, not separately.

SyX 11 July 2018 16:01

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1253643)
What is the version of Intel GPU driver? I think it comes with it, not separately.

Of course, it is logic (and stupid by myself at the same time :P), i just downloaded the last Intel GPU video driver (version 24.20.100.6025 and date 25/04/2018) and now my Intel audio driver is updated to version 10.25.0.5 and date 06/04/2018.

And remade the tests...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1253643)
Redownload today's winuae.7z, it is possible version you downloaded didn't have notification enabled (because it is not going to be in official version).

Redownloaded!!!

Although Toni, i didn't see any notification and the wasapi bug is the same before.

The executable is 14.988.288 bytes and in the header of the winuaebootlog.txt appears:
WinUAE 4.0.1 (Public Beta 4, 2018.07.11) (10.0.17134 [1]) 64-bit 9.6.4E03 4 11:56 0

I have attached a single winuaelog.txt, where i only enabled Fullscreen + Lagless Vsync Beamraced (the default slices number that appears is 4) + Refresh rate 50Hz PAL.

Toni Wilen 11 July 2018 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SyX (Post 1253660)
Of course, it is logic (and stupid by myself at the same time :P), i just downloaded the last Intel GPU video driver (version 24.20.100.6025 and date 25/04/2018) and now my Intel audio driver is updated to version 10.25.0.5 and date 06/04/2018.

Odd. Laptop with UHD Graphics 630 (i7-8750H) shows exact same date but version is 24.20.100.6136. Audio is 6.12.2017 and 10.24.0.3. Intel driver version logic does not make sense..

Quote:

WASAPI: GetDevice(NULL) 80070490
This means not even default sound device exists at this point.. (80070490 = "Not found")

One more test: start emulation in windowed mode with working sound, then switch to fullscreen (without changing anything else) and attach the log. This method should create better log.

Log should have line "RegisterAudioSessionNotification" somewhere.

btw, try also running winuae as normal user. It shouldn't make any difference but this is so weird problem that anything is possible.. Or create new user account from scratch (with normal privileges) to confirm it is nothing weird in your account. (EDIT: if you also use admin only, I missed that you weren't OP which mentions admin)

SyX 11 July 2018 17:31

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1253664)
Intel driver version logic does not make sense..

..at all :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1253664)
One more test: start emulation in windowed mode with working sound, then switch to fullscreen (without changing anything else) and attach the log. This method should create better log.

Log should have line "RegisterAudioSessionNotification" somewhere.

Ok, this test was a lot more interesting.

I select Display > Fullscreen > Native (or my screen resolution: 1920x1080) before pressing "Start" the first time; then i got sound in windowed mode (this is normal); then i return to the WinUAE properties for selecting Settings > Native > Fullscreen and returns to the Amiga side, then i get sound... GREAT!!!

But of course, the monitor remains in 60 Hz.

If i don't select Display > Fullscreen > Native (the default is 800x600) before going to windowed mode (that always have sound); then when i go to Fullscreen mode, the screen goes black while trying to set the resolution/refresh rate (although i would say that it takes more time than usual) and after those "black" seconds, WinUAE will close itself and left me in the desktop.

And even, if i select previously Native and i select too 50Hz PAL instead of Default Refresh Rate, then it will happen the same when i go to fullscreen mode (two or three seconds of black screen and WinUAE will close itself and left me alone in the desktop).

I have attached 4 logs (1 working and 3 WinUAE close itself):
* fullscreen_native: The one working, although the screen remains in 60 Hz.
* fullscreen_native_50hz_crash: Setting 50 Hz refresh rate and crashing.
* default_crash: I don't select native resolution for fullscreen, using the default 800x600.
* default_crash_50hz: The same than the previous + 50 Hz refresh rate set (maybe is interesting for comparing).

In all the logs appears "RegisterAudioSessionNotification".

Ok, i hope those tests are useful, but i will make a new user account with normal privileges and i will run the tests again.

Toni Wilen 11 July 2018 17:37

Code:

26-519 [441 000-000]: D3D11_resize -> fullscreen
26-649 [441 000-000]: WASAPI OnSessionDisconnected 00000000

Sound device really goes away immediately when fullscreen gets enabled..

DisconnectReasonDeviceRemoval = 0

Not very useful :(

EDIT: at least this confirms Windows also thinks the audio device gets removed.

EDIT2: Here is .6136 driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...?product=80939

SyX 12 July 2018 17:08

2 Attachment(s)
Hi! :)

I downloaded the .6136 driver (GPU Driver version 24.20.100.6136 and date 24/05/2018) and the even newer .6194 that intel uploaded yesterday (GPU Driver version 24.20.100.6194 date: 20/06/2018)... although both have the same Intel Display Audio version 10.25.0.8 and date 7/5/2018.

I tested both versions and i didn't see any difference, except in the logs are not appearing anymore the message "WASAPI OnSessionDisconnected 00000000" ?!?!?!

The only minimal difference that i saw, it was with the .6136 driver and when i set native and 50 Hz refresh, with this configuration during a second i could see the amiga emulator screen, although it was paused and soon after that, WinUAE closed and left me in the desktop.

Sorry, it looks that is a 1000% intel driver problem :(

SyX 12 July 2018 19:06

2 Attachment(s)
Only for adding more information, i remade the tests changing the sound driver from WASAPI to DirectSound and PortAudio.

In both cases, when i set fullscreen, WinUAE set correctly my monitor in 50Hz mode, i can use the emulator without problems, but there is not sound generation at all.

And in both cases we get a similar error, for DirectSound:
Code:

43-008 [2796 000-000]: D3D11 resize exit
43-031 [2796 000-000]: DS: DirectSoundCreate8() failure: 88780078 S=1 F=0878 C=0078 (120)
43-031 [2796 000-000]: Sorry, can't initialize sound.

And for PortAudio:
Code:

25-174 [426 000-000]: D3D11 resize exit
25-196 [426 000-000]: PASOUND: Pa_OpenStream() error -9996 (Invalid device)
25-196 [426 000-000]: Sorry, can't initialize sound.

I attached a pair of logs, but i suppose that the only solution is reporting this bug to Intel and pray for a fix from them.

ProdigalAmigan 15 July 2018 21:09

Hello again friends!

Sorry for having been absent from this thread for quite a while now.
Did some testing and found something (just a little) interesting which I don't know if it will be helpful or not but here goes:

I have now installed/updated to the latest version of the drivers for the Intel NUC.

If I am using DirectX 11 and switch to Fullscreen sound doesn't work, same as when I first wrote about this issue. So no change.

However if I switch the DirectX version to be used to Direct X 9.0 and then go into sound settings WinUAE once again has disabled audio (disabled but emulated). But if I then set it back to Emulated (on) and return to the game/demo/workbench in fullscreen the audio comes back to life (in Full Screen mode).

Hitting F12 and going back to the Windows desktop (WinUAE configuration window/screen) the next thing loaded/played will be silent once again, going back to the sound settings and re-enabling it sound works.... until next time.

Crazy strange problem/bug....

Also I tried the Full-Windowed displaymode and it works to some extent but looks wrong in RTG mode)...

Toni Wilen 15 July 2018 21:40

So the audio device only goes away temporarily. This is important discovery!

Does attached winuae version resume (WASAPI) sound automatically? It retries for 5 seconds when device disappears.

If not: attach winuaelog.txt.