English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Amiga / Emulator Frontend (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22523)

misguided_fool 27 March 2006 12:38

Amiga / Emulator Frontend

Hi guys - Need a bit of help or advice on organising my emulators and roms.

With hard drive prices falling and capacitities increasing, I've decided to dedicate a PC just for emulation, as it doesn't need to be a high spec machine, and the roms don't take up an awful lot of space.

What setup do you guys use ? Do you use any frontends to run games ? I've looked briefly at Lemonade / Gamebase etc.. What are the best and most maintained programs ? Ideally I'd like a program where I can organise Amiga / C64 / Spectrum / SNES roms into separate folders and launch them from one program. It would be great it it supported screenshoots / configs files like Lemonade / Gamebase.

Anyone use such a setup ? Id like to know how your PCs are setup to make things a little easier for finding & playing roms.

plasmatron 28 March 2006 22:34

For AMIGA - LEMONADE
For c64 - Gamebase

Retro-Nerd 28 March 2006 22:40

For all other Systems like NES, SNES, Mega Drive .... use Gamebase.

DamienD 28 March 2006 22:58

Retro-Nerd, I'm surprised you didn't mention LusSpace FE...

http://lusspace.free.fr/

;)

Retro-Nerd 28 March 2006 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD
Retro-Nerd, I'm surprised you didn't mention LusSpace FE...

http://lusspace.free.fr/

;)

I like the Gamebase GEMUS script feature which allows you to create "per game" settings.

Belgarath 29 March 2006 13:47

*cough* For Amiga use GameBase as well..

Anubis 29 March 2006 14:00

I use OfflineList (No Intro dat files) as I was able to download whole setup... :D

There is even Amiga dat for it. :)

Methanoid 29 March 2006 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis
I use OfflineList (No Intro dat files) as I was able to download whole setup... :D

There is even Amiga dat for it. :)

Where? I like the auto-update feature of OLL and use it for GBA/NDS etc... its also nice that you can just press enter and it loads emu and game (as well as doing renaming duties)... would that TOSEC used such a toy for their renaming!

zardoz 29 March 2006 22:17

I found Lemonade to be quite a clean install but it only recognised Tosec versions of adfs on my hard disk.

And Gamebase Amiga ... I mean I'm a computer-y kinda guy and I gave up with it after installing the three (?) different packages you needed and then failing to find a game. Sure it's easy when you know how...

Belgarath 29 March 2006 22:39

3 packages? All that's really needed is the GameBase program and the Database itself. It's been setup quite successfully be a number of people.

As for failing to find a game, most of the games in the dats are in tosec. If you don't have a large tosec set then you will be less likely to have the right sets. But whats the point of adding versions of adfs that don't work? And download links are provided for all the games currently supported.

You could also have emailed or joined the irc channel for help..

Anubis 30 March 2006 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methanoid
Where? I like the auto-update feature of OLL and use it for GBA/NDS etc... its also nice that you can just press enter and it loads emu and game (as well as doing renaming duties)... would that TOSEC used such a toy for their renaming!

NoIntro dats are available at this site (there is a link at the bottom of the official site for those dats).

But Amiga screenshots are not public yet. Not sure why they don't have them uploaded yet.

Methanoid 30 March 2006 21:39

Thanks, I had found it, tried and without screenshots I dumped that option. Tried GameBaseAmy but that project is "on hold" (dumped it)... tried Lemonade... NICE!!!!

So looks like it could be Lemonade for Amiga, OLL for NDS/GBA and Gamebase for ST/64. Perhaps the idea of an "all in one" prog is a mistake. Its convenient but rarely do they offer the "needed" features.

Belgarath 30 March 2006 22:32

Can I point out that GameBase Amiga is completely seperate from GameBase Amy and while Amy certaintly is on hold/dead, my version is very much alive.

Anubis 31 March 2006 04:02

Do you need help with that project?

And I agree, we need all-in-one. :D

I tried rescently anotehr big front end, which is more like windows-media-rom center. It's called GameEx. Had some nice option and possibility of custom setup for many emus including built in mame front end. But IMO it is slow, limited in options for not-mame emus and there is no options for per game settings and no extra stuff (like music). Add to that 20 bucks fee, and huge NO for me. :cheese

misguided_fool 31 March 2006 09:39

Belgarath:

As your project is very much alive, what can we do to help out ?
Even if its something simple like submitting screenshots or something.
I wouldn't mind doing a load, if it speeds things up. If a few of us pull together I'm sure we can speed things up.

Let me know if theres anything I can do - Im sure a lot of the other guys will help out too.

Belgarath 31 March 2006 12:17

Cheers guys, the thing I really need help with is making sure the games setup in it are 100% working and the best version available.

I try as hard as possible to ensure only good working versions are included but there are often so many different cracks and alts of the disk I'm finding it hard to keep track of what's good and what's not.

If you guys are serious about helping out, please drop into #mage on irc.abime.net for a chat. I'm there most of the day. (yes I have no life) :)

Methanoid 03 April 2006 09:16

Belgarath, rather than hosting the files where I would guess you get more than one download every 4 weeks why not post on usenet every 4 weeks or so?

Anyway I'll certainly give a LIVE project a try and see how well it works.

Belgarath 03 April 2006 12:26

It's an idea, but my usenet access is worse than useless.

mr_0rga5m 04 April 2006 00:34

I could dump em on the newsgroups for ya Belg.

Belgarath 04 April 2006 00:45

Ta Mr_0, see if you can pop into irc tomorrow for a chat first.