English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Edge Retro House (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=9080)

tomcat666 11 March 2003 18:47

Edge Retro House

Hi!

If you are into retrogaming in general and have seen the first issue of Edge special RETRO edition magazine (and especially if you live in the UK) then you might appretiate this.

I got the original graphics that made up the cover of that issue + some more graphics from the same author and made a little demo/game with it. It is there to showcase the same engine used for the new Head Over Heels remake - coming soon.

The game is pretty simple collect-em-up - it was not the point to make a game, but to show the engine + graphics :)

I hope you like it... here is the direct link to the download page:

http://www.armyoftrolls.co.uk/aot_we...etro_house.htm

Have fun !

cv643d 11 March 2003 19:17

I would love to get the picture that made up the front. I emailed edge but they didnt have it, suggesting me to ask for it on their forum. Is it possible that you can place all graphics you got from him somewhere on the net so it is possible to download it? preferably unaltered by text. Im thinking of printing out the cover on hi-quality glossy paper maybe.

Do you know if he used Deluxe Paint for the cover art?

tomcat666 11 March 2003 20:20

You can get the original picture that the cover was printed from on his website:

http://www.armyoftrolls.co.uk/aot_we...html/retro.htm

check it from the starting url too... it is a nice website :)

He used Photoshop for it.

Jherek Carnelia 11 March 2003 20:35

Loved the game! But, where's the walkthru? I'm stuck:laughing

tomcat666 11 March 2003 20:49

Hehe ;-) the walkthru:

Pickup everything the computer tells you ;-)

Seriously, I didn't even want this little collect-em-up in the game - just walking around and stuff... but gfx artist insisted we have some sort of a little game there ;-) But what can you do in 5 rooms ?

Jherek Carnelia 11 March 2003 23:11

Only joking Tom-Cat!

Amigaboy 12 March 2003 00:12

1 Attachment(s)
PH34R my tower of death!

manicx 12 March 2003 09:54

xcellent....

tomcat666 12 March 2003 10:13

Totally :)

Didn't think any1 will bother building it to get to the last monkey :)))

Amigaboy 12 March 2003 10:17

Quote:

Originally posted by tomcat666
Totally :)

Didn't think any1 will bother building it to get to the last monkey :)))

I think I managed to get every piece, but I got no confirmation that I did, so I don't know

tomcat666 12 March 2003 10:28

If there are no more "Collect ..." messages when you enter the rooms then you got all of them ;-)

I will add some sort of the message/end sequence some day - when I get some animations from Gary :)

Please do not use signatures in your messages! Configure your UserCP instead! -Admin

Sorry... I just posted some messages on some other board where I can't configure userCP - so I mistakingly signed it twice here...

cv643d 12 March 2003 15:22

I cant believe they use Photoshop for pixling those pix. I really need to check out the functions of that program.

Time to wake up and realize its not 1992 anymore and Dpaint aint used anymore by pros.

Twistin'Ghost 12 March 2003 21:23

Quote:

Originally posted by cv643d
Time to wake up and realize its not 1992 anymore and Dpaint aint used anymore by pros.
You can't speak for all pros unless you work with all pros. Time to wake up and realize people use whatever works for them personally.

manicx 13 March 2003 09:00

Twistin'Ghost is right. I have been doing graphics for TV stations (for hobby) since 1991. Recently a friend of mine asked my help for his dissertation. He came to my flat, loaded Photoshop 7 and I stayed there looking at him :confused ...

Instead, I switched on my A4000, booted in 10 seconds, loaded Brilliance and did more than he asked for, fast, reliably and most important, efficently!!! Amiga has always been an artistic computer...

cv643d 13 March 2003 17:50

Uhm.. yeah. I just thought for 2D graphics work Dpaint and clones where kings, since I have used them a lot for that kind of work. I learnt DPaint in DPaint 2 on my 486 and it was kinda easy to get going, learning how to use different tools and such.

I tried to do pixel style 2D graphics in Photshop 5 back in 98 but stumbled. I managed to choose an airbrush tool though. So I went back to DPaint 2.

Amiga1992 13 March 2003 19:40

Photoshop is not for pixelling, period. To make decent pixel images you NEED a tool like DPaint (which you can get for the PC too).

This pic is pretty nice, but surely took shitloads more time for doing it in Photoshop ;)

[edit] ooh forgot about the demo. looking GREAT!

oldpx 13 March 2003 20:08

Photoshop's pencil tool is as functional as deluxe paint when it comes to pixelling. I don't see anything wrong here. People no longer use Dpaint because people no longer use amigas. This pic doesn't look pretty because there's a LAME lens flare filter *puke*

cv643d 13 March 2003 21:28

Quote:

Originally posted by Burseg
I don't see anything wrong here. People no longer use Dpaint because people no longer use amigas.
Whenever people said that a couple of years ago there were always someone who said that some game companies still used amigas with Dpaint to make some graphics for their games... maybe its a story that keeps showing up even though its not true. :)

thinlega 13 March 2003 21:41

Quote:

Photoshop is not for pixelling, period. To make decent pixel images you NEED a tool like DPaint (which you can get for the PC too).

I have to agree with akira on this one.. photoshop is a pain if you want to do lo-fi "pixelie" stuff it allways wants to anti alias etc.. I just think the drawing tools and the fill tools are much easyer in d-paint...

Plus the magnification tool also lets you see the full size image at the same time which is a MUST when doing this kind of work...

Antiriad 14 March 2003 00:44

Fireworks is da bomb for doing pixelated artwork!