English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Editing games? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=24343)

Gatezee 08 July 2006 14:28

Editing games?

Hi,

Is it possible to break into .dat files and alter in game data??

What program would you use??

thomas 08 July 2006 14:35

Quote:

Is it possible to break into .dat files and alter in game data??
Certainly.

Quote:

What program would you use??
You have to reverse-engineer the file structure and write your own editing program. This will probably be a different program for each game. If you are lucky someone wrote such a program before for the game you want to edit.

BippyM 08 July 2006 14:43

What game is it?

Gatezee 08 July 2006 14:52

Championship Manager 93/94!

BippyM 08 July 2006 14:54

ahh.. you'll have to do all the hardwork i'm afraid..

You might need asm knowledge (but maybe not). See if the files are compressed.. that is your first job then get a hex editor and start looking for values etc that you can change.. then check to see if it has made a difference.

What do you want to do btw?

Gatezee 08 July 2006 15:00

Change some of the names, and some of the other text that appears in game - not really any changes to the structure of the game or the way in which the game works.........

BippyM 08 July 2006 15:10

can you upload the .dat file to the zone and I'll take a peek :D zip or rar it first tho

Gatezee 08 July 2006 15:24

I only the adf files (Champ Manager disk images). It was only in Workbench i saw the dat files, when I asked Workbench to show the contents of the disk.

Some guy did make an editor before - but it only gave you a limited number of options to edit names, attributes etc (file called cmed300.lha) which I have also got.

BippyM 08 July 2006 15:26

okay I will have the images.. I'll take a look later to see if they are compressed.

Maybe Galahad can helop as I think he did the whdload slave for it

Gatezee 08 July 2006 15:37

Images/Editor uploaded :)

Thanks for your help.

Gatezee 15 July 2006 21:47

Bippy,

Did you have any luck??

Steve

BippyM 15 July 2006 22:02

The files seem to be envrypted.. It is probably a simple encryption but i'm not an expert.. sorry

sarek2k 15 July 2006 22:06

did no one on the Amiga side write and editor for CM93/94 is millions of them on the pc (for all the versions over the years)

seuden 05 June 2007 13:55

*Bump*

Sorry to bump this but i thought it would be better than create a new thread.

I would really appreciate it if anyone has got any further on this, i would love to edit the names to make them current, and maybe the stadium capacities/names etc.

Cheers

Graham Humphrey 05 June 2007 17:27

There is an old editor on Aminet that's been knocking around for years now - clicky.

I've never used it myself so I don't know how good it is but it's worth a go.

seuden 05 June 2007 22:00

I have been looking for something like this for around 10 years, lol. I have had a quick look and it looks exactly what i've been looking foir. Why didn't i search Aminet before :banghead

Thanks sooooo much Graham Humphrey :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

DamienD 05 June 2007 22:34

This editor has also been mentioned in these 2 old threads ;)

... championship manager
... Championship manager editor

In the top thread it says something about cmed240, maybe you should seek out that as well :great

seuden 05 June 2007 22:50

Thanks, will check it out. :)

Graham Humphrey 05 June 2007 23:52

@seuden: no problem! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD
In the top thread it says something about cmed240, maybe you should seek out that as well :great

It is, in fact, an earlier version of the program I linked to, so maybe not, hey ;)

DamienD 06 June 2007 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
It is, in fact, an earlier version of the program I linked to, so maybe not, hey ;)

Definitely not then :cheese