English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WinUAE Wizard 1.0.0.0 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=9077)

Amigaboy 11 March 2003 14:39

WinUAE Wizard 1.0.0.0

1 Attachment(s)
After seeing DJay's mock screenshot of a WinUAE Wizard, I was inspired (:D) so I coded one today
You'll find it attached (it's only 65kb compressed)

At the moment, I've only tested it successfully with 0.8.22r5. When I ran it on 0.8.8r9 it died. This is simply a config problem. Nothing to do with the actual program.

Anyway. It's simple to use:
- Unpack the zip wherever you want (to keep everything in 1 directory, I unpacked to my WinUAE directory, but it's not necessary).
- Run the prog.
- You'll be prompted with message boxes telling you how to proceed. Just follow the steps...Not everything is necessary. The only *required* thing you need to configure is the WinUAE executable, although if you don't give a kickstart, don't expect to get anywhere :D
- Once the setup is done, a file will be saved into the directory of the executable called "launcher.cfg". With this file in place, you don't have to go through and do the setup over and over again.
- You'll be prompted with a GUI that looks like DJay's. It works the same. The top button launches WinUAE with an A500 config. The middle launches it with an A1200 config, and the last one boots WinUAE's GUI.

That's it. Simple
As I type this, I can think of a couple of bugs so obviously, this isn't a final release.
Please test it and tell me what y'all find wrong with it. Also, if you don't like my config, please suggest a better one (I use this config all the time on WinUAE with virtually no problems....well....Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker flickers ALOT with this config...anyone? :))
If you want to change the config it boots up, just replace the relevant config in LConfigs/ with your own one. If someone has an excellent config that works with WinUAE 0.8.8r8 and works with the latest one flawlessly, then I'd be interested.

I don't know if I'll continue with this prog. Perhaps if people want it. If so, I'll add step by step configurations, or something like that, as well as some other features (suggest some if you want).

Enough babble from me then :)

--

Oh. If it asks for any DLL's or anything, tell me. I don't know what to distribute. I statically linked some into the EXE, so I hope I don't need to distribute any more.

oldpx 11 March 2003 14:41

Excellent! :)

Why don't we just turn this into a config launcher so that customized configurations can be added and removed? This way a newbie can change the scanlines while keeping other settings intact.

Amigaboy 11 March 2003 14:45

Yep. I was planning on doing that in the next version, depending on how much interest was shown.

This release was basically newbie proof :D

Mr Softy 11 March 2003 14:59

Nice!

I think it will be a very useful tool for new users. Actually, If there had been a wizzard or something like this, the first time I downloaded WinUAE... :rolleyes It's not the friendliest app I know, if you're not used to it!

Now i don't need it, but... in behalf of the once-striving mass: THANK YOU! :cool

BippyM 11 March 2003 18:20

This is an excellent idea..

I think step by step setup with instructions as to what each option does is vital!

A new user will learn a lot quicker that way!

Good job :D

Doozy 11 March 2003 20:16

Fantastic!!!!

Well accomplished my friend ;)

I have had a quick blast and think that it is very well executed :great

Djay 11 March 2003 21:54

@Amigaboy... that ROCKS.... it is exactly what i had in mind when i did the screenshot.... YOU ARE COOL!!!!

how about asking the player/user if he wants to run either A500 or A1200 in window mode or fullscreen... this would be done each time he loads up the wizard?

Amigaboy 11 March 2003 22:19

Silly me. The version number in the thread was 1.0.0.1, when I actually released 1.0.0.0. I updated it :)

I'll see what I can do about features guys.

Kodoichi 12 March 2003 17:29

O_o

o_O

_very_ nice.

…but OMG OMG I CANNAT INPÜT DISKC!!!1 /ME IS 2 B SEEINING A HAEND HODLING A DISKETT PLZ 2 B TELLENING ME N00B WAHT 2 DO NO!!!1

Amigaboy 12 March 2003 17:37

WUT UR?!??? WTF LOL GONG 2 HAEV 2 R3AD TEH WINUAE MANUAL 2 PUT IN DISKS?!?!! OMG WTF LOL ITS NOT MAH AERA
MAYB IN TEH NEXT RALAAES

Kodoichi 12 March 2003 18:08

WAHT SI TEH MANUELL????

Twistin'Ghost 12 March 2003 21:46

LOL!!!

MethodGit 12 March 2003 22:14

H3LP ME!1!111! CAN ANYONA TEL ME WH3R3 I CAN DOWNLOAD MIGA FOREVER I DO NOT HAEV ANY KIKSTART ROMZ OF MAH OWN THANK YOO THANK YOO11111!! OMG WTF LOL

oldpx 12 March 2003 22:20

Marz Attaakkkkzzzz!!!!!! :eek

andreas 14 March 2003 21:45

:lol :lol

That is really TOO good guys!
Amigaboy and Kodo talking to each other like mancs! ;)
I think that writing style of that one guy (I do know his name, but search yourself ;)) started a new era of writing your posts!
:laughing
*/me actually got wet eyes now because of laughing my ass off*

Mr Softy 17 March 2003 10:39

Do you think this wizzard has a chance to be included in a future WinUAE release? That would be very nice!

bytestorm 17 March 2003 10:46

just great man!

Amigaboy 17 March 2003 10:49

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Softy
Do you think this wizzard has a chance to be included in a future WinUAE release? That would be very nice!
Don't know. First I would need to be happy with it, then Toni would make the final decision. I don't think bundling it should be done...maybe having it hosted somewhere and having a link to it would be the smarter thing?
I haven't really mucked around with it lately. I'll try to get around to fixing it up sometime soon (hopefully)

Paul 17 March 2003 11:02

And don’t do what I did...hold the enter key down by accident. I had winuae open 23 times but each time I tried to close the multiple open winuae programs more kept opening. Ahhhhhhhh:lol :lol :lol

Amigaboy 17 March 2003 11:07

lol

Just before I released it, I had to ponder whether or not to make the Wizard quit itself when a choice had been made. I ended up with the decision to leave it open, just in case you need to boot up a different config after you quit playing something.

I already thought about a remedy to this. Wait till next release (if ever ;))