English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. Contest (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Amiga Tool Jam (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=113947)

zooperdan 16 March 2023 13:29

Amiga Tool Jam

Hi everyone.

I'd like to invite you to participate in Amiga Tool Jam which run from May 1st to October 31st.

https://img.itch.zone/aW1nLzExNDUzOT...23c/26nVY1.png

You can choose to develop a piece of software in the following categories:
  • Utility - Small piece of software often without GUI and run from CLI.
  • Tool - Larger and more advanced piece of software with GUI.
  • Commodity - Small executable which enhances system usability. Commodities are usually loaded at system startup. Many require no interaction and do not feature any GUI interface.
  • Most Useless Tool - A tool that fixes a problem nobody has, or performs a completely pointless task for no good reason (and often extremely overengineered). Example: A tool that tells you if your Amiga is powered on or off :) Have fun, be creative!
  • Other - ARexx scipts, Icon packs, Workbench wallpapers etc. Basically anything that doesn't fit the other categories.

Any

Check out the jam page for rules and other information.

https://itch.io/jam/amigatooljam

Hope to see you in there, and please help spread the word :)

- zooperdan

tygre 16 March 2023 15:12

Thanks Zooperdan! :)

zooperdan 18 March 2023 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tygre (Post 1603070)
Thanks Zooperdan! :)

Thanks for joining :D

Daedalus 08 November 2023 16:30

The Amiga Tool Jam has now finished, and there are 15 entries across the various categories. People can check them out here: https://itch.io/jam/amigatooljam

DisasterIncarna 08 November 2023 17:48

nice work all, off to install some of this, esp DrawerGenie :D hope you improve/bugsmash that if its needed at all, looks very useful.

Poison 08 November 2023 18:10

DrawerGenie is fantastic but hard to use with a higher resolution desktop.

DisasterIncarna 08 November 2023 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison (Post 1653296)

yeah might be nice to be able to use your own images so you could have them larger or make MWB versions, would be nice to be able to mousewheel or drag the bar to see options hidden if the window is too small and have mouseover tooltips, obviously all this not really a thing on such a small timescale but still great work.

out of interest, where should be leave proper feedback for these tools? here or on the select itch.io pages?

DisasterIncarna 08 November 2023 19:30

Quote:

yeah might be nice to be able to use your own images so you could have them larger or make MWB versions, would be nice to be able to mousewheel or drag the bar to see options hidden if the window is too small.

out of interest, where should be leave proper feedback for these tools? here or on the select itch.io pages?

nogginthenog 09 November 2023 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna (Post 1653316)
yeah might be nice to be able to use your own images so you could have them larger or make MWB versions, would be nice to be able to mousewheel or drag the bar to see options hidden if the window is too small.

There is a toolbar.iff in the archive. You can probably edit this (but I doubt you can make them larger).

AMIGASYSTEM 09 November 2023 16:04

DrawerGenie would be nice to have a porting for AROS x86, then maybe I could create gadgets suitable for RTG graphics!

Daedalus 09 November 2023 16:31

Quote:

Thanks ;) Yeah, it's on the list of things to do to support different size gadgets, AISS and so on. I just ran out of time for the jam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna (Post 1653315)
yeah might be nice to be able to use your own images so you could have them larger or make MWB versions

Yup :) Also, I'm open to including other people's toolbars as options in future versions.

Quote:

would be nice to be able to mousewheel or drag the bar to see options hidden if the window is too small
Nice idea! it's a little tricky to implement without regenerating the whole toolbar (which is slow), but I'll look into it.

Quote:

and have mouseover tooltips,
It doesn't have mouseover tooltips (it's a little bit inefficient to do it that way when the toolbar windows are never active), but you can hold down the Help key and click on any gadget to get a tooltip. I've had a bug report that the tooltip surround sometimes isn't the correct size, but I'll sort that out.

Quote:

obviously all this not really a thing on such a small timescale but still great work.
Much appreciated :)

Quote:

The Itch pages are usually a good place to go, often the devs will include contact details in the readme file too. Some of the projects are also on Github, where issues can be raised. There's also a Discord specifically for the jam (details on the jam page) but not all the devs are on there. I don't mind feedback here myself, but not all the devs are on here either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogginthenog (Post 1653432)
There is a toolbar.iff in the archive. You can probably edit this (but I doubt you can make them larger).

Correct. Feel free to use the "coder art" toolbar as a template for your own toolbar. Top row is the unselected version, bottom is the selected version. At the moment they're limited to 16x16 tiles unfortunately, but that'll get fixed in the future...