English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Basic AmigaOS 3.9 questions (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56834)

Kaffeine 16 December 2010 00:10

Basic AmigaOS 3.9 questions

Hi everyone,

I successfully installed AmigaOS 3.9 with WinUAE (running with wine on OSX). After a day of googling it works fine with Picasso96 and the 4 boing bags updates, network is up.

But now I can't figure out simple things like how to use keyboard shortcuts, like A+K to close a window, do I have to remap keys in winuae? Also is that possible to save default preferences of the workbench, like size of the window, show all files...

Off topic but do you recommend any interesting apps I should try out?

Thanks!

NovaCoder 16 December 2010 06:27

To save workbench window sizes and icon position you can use the 'snapshot' menu item (snapshot all).

T_hairy_bootson 16 December 2010 06:55

Checkout shapeshifter, its a mac emu.

Then you will be using a mac, emulating a PC to emulate an amiga that is emulating a mac.

http://geekspodcast.com/geekpress/wp...wg-230x300.jpg

Kaffeine 16 December 2010 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 722728)
To save workbench window sizes and icon position you can use the 'snapshot' menu item (snapshot all).

Okay thanks! I wish I could find some doc about how to use AmigaOS 3.9, if you know any good links please share.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson (Post 722730)
Checkout shapeshifter, its a mac emu.

Then you will be using a mac, emulating a PC to emulate an amiga that is emulating a mac.

Cool, I didn't even knew that older mac were using m68k arch.

prowler 16 December 2010 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaffeine (Post 722834)
Okay thanks! I wish I could find some doc about how to use AmigaOS 3.9, if you know any good links please share.

Amiga OS3.9 Manuals :)

Kaffeine 17 December 2010 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 722908)

Great that will be useful!! I also installed a copy of my OS39 CD via Amikit, and that's a good way to see what is possible to do with it.

dannyp1 17 December 2010 15:38

"Then you will be using a mac, emulating a PC to emulate an amiga that is emulating a mac."

You Gotta Love It!

roberthazelby 17 December 2010 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyp1 (Post 723086)
"Then you will be using a mac, emulating a PC to emulate an amiga that is emulating a mac."

You Gotta Love It!

My head hurts! :crazy

Kaffeine 18 December 2010 17:36

Okay I have been playing for a while with AmigaOS 3.9 now, and when I install software it asks most of the time for .mcc files. I have installed the MUI library and manually search for each individual mcc files on the net and it takes a lot of time. Am I missing something here? Is there a way to get all mcc files in one package?

Thanks!

matthey 19 December 2010 16:12

Unofficial MUI 3.8a with many of the custom classes is here...

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/mui38.htm

Kaffeine 19 December 2010 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthey (Post 723494)
Unofficial MUI 3.8a with many of the custom classes is here...

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/mui38.htm

Looks cool but unfortunately I get en error while installing:

"COPYLIB: Can't Open File " " in line 299

DOS Error Type: Unable to locate a file or drawer"

Any idea about what the problem is?

TCD 19 December 2010 16:55

Have you extracted the LHA archive in Windows? Try it again inside the emulated Amiga :)

Kaffeine 19 December 2010 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 723503)
Have you extracted the LHA archive in Windows? Try it again inside the emulated Amiga :)

I did extract the file inside the emulated amiga. I have downloaded the file again, extracted it in a hdf drive instead of a virtual filesystem, i tried in expert mode and skipping parts but nothing helped.

Is there a way to install this manually?

TCD 19 December 2010 17:30

Not 100% sure, but this line seems to be the problem :
Code:

579 : (P_COPYFILE 1 (tackon #sdir " ") destination)
There's an .info file with a space, but no file or folder. You could comment this line out and see if the install works.

Kaffeine 19 December 2010 17:55

wow thanks it worked perfectly :) I have reported the error and your solution to the guy behind this unofficial update.

TCD 19 December 2010 18:07

Good to hear it worked :)

Kaffeine 20 December 2010 09:58

Okay things are improving.

I now have OS39 + BB 1 to 4 + MUI + AfA_OS. Next step I wanted to change icons, so I started to copy png .info files into my system. But is there a pack of icons with some script which replaces every .info?

Kaffeine 22 December 2010 09:50

Well it seems that to change all icons in your system, there is one thing mandatory: time.

I used kens_icons_v4 for the icon set and CopyIcon helped me a lot.

I also replaced every def_icons in SYS:PREFS/ENV-ARCHIVE/SYS (with a drag & drop). Icons were well replaced but I have lost every "default tool" link to the icons, so I guess i didn't do that step correctly.

Anyway another question, is that possible to create a screen, like another desktop?

ajk 22 December 2010 11:01

You can copy icons with the help of the icon information window; open that for any icon you want to change and drag the new icon on top of the original icon on the left. You can do a directory at a time by selecting all and then running icon information, this will open the window for each of them. This way the tooltypes and everything should be preserved properly.

You can create public screens for other programs (like IBrowse, Directory Opus etc.), but you can't really make a second Workbench screen. You can get more space though by making the screen size, say, twice as high as the actual resolution is. Then you can scroll around the area when you move the mouse to the border.

Kaffeine 22 December 2010 17:35

okay thanks for the tip, my icons are all fine now!

about public screens I have installed ModePro, but I have no idea of what is a promoter and a requester. Anyway I hope to be apple to configure any specific app to launch in a dedicated public screen. I am off reading the doc now ;)