English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. Asm / Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Anyone up for an ASM coding competition? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=82340)

DanScott 11 April 2016 12:27

Anyone up for an ASM coding competition?

Perhaps can pick a regular / standard routine.. and see who comes up with the fastest or most elegant way of doing it in ASM ?

Maybe some simple rules... like to minimise memory requirement (just to prevent a routine that uses 2 megs of lookup-tables etc..)

What do you coders think ?

alpine9000 11 April 2016 12:56

I'm in. Gonna get my ass handed to me competing against you guys that have been coding asm since the Amiga days, but I'm sure I'll learn a thing or two.

A memory budget for each challenge would make sense to me.

meynaf 12 April 2016 09:09

You may eventually count on me as well.

However you can expect people to not agree on what is the most elegant way of doing something ; what's elegant for some folk may look ugly for another ;)

roomeo 12 April 2016 12:16

Great initiative.

I think it should be like we did on amycoders competitions ages ago.
One entry for fastest and one entry for shortest.

Galahad/FLT 12 April 2016 12:47

Could be interested

hooverphonique 12 April 2016 13:51

Interesting initiative.. I'll probably have to decline though, it's been 20 years since I did any amiga coding ;-)

clenched 12 April 2016 13:55

I'm betting on Leffmann to win.

meynaf 12 April 2016 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by clenched (Post 1083380)

How much ? :p

nandius_c 12 April 2016 17:16

I'm interested! I'm more or less in the same situation as alpine9000: I have no chance of competing against many of you, guys, but I'm sure it would be a good learning experience for me :).

Shortest and fastest piece of code (as stated by roomeo) seems a good approach to me.

demolition 12 April 2016 17:54

Sounds fun, although I'd have to learn 68k asm first. :) I do know a little, but at a very basic level, so I'd spend days doing something that others could do in 5 mins..

For hardware specs, it should probably be as limited as possible to keep things simple, like plain A500 KS1.3 with 512kB chip (and probably even tighter restrictions on memory). A plain 68000 also allows for some fun self-modifying code tricks..

nogginthenog 12 April 2016 19:46

Back in the day I always enjoyed reading threads on comp.sys.amiga.programmer where people were trying to squeeze cycles out of C2P algorithms etc. I would definitely be interested, even if my my 680x0 is rusty!

esc 12 April 2016 21:50

Maybe the contest could come with an archived dev environment setup for someone to install on a vanilla a500/ks1.3 setup in UAE? This could create a good baseline and also get those of us that have never written asm on Amiga a chance to play without wasting too much time setting up the proper dev tools :)

prowler 12 April 2016 22:02

Thanks to DanScott for this great idea! :great

I'm sure that any competition spawned by this thread will make interesting reading for many members here - especially those who, like myself, have some coding experience but have not been involved for a number of years and so do not have the skills to compete.

Photon 12 April 2016 22:13

Also specify system requirements and running DMA (i.e. screen size+depth) though :)

Asman 12 April 2016 22:40

There will be a separate thread for each puzzle or something ? (Like famous threads: conversion capers) :)

alpine9000 12 April 2016 23:14

Maybe each round we should nominate someone to run it?

Outline the challenge, rules etc.

As far as determining the winner, maybe everyone that submits an entry gets a set number of votes (can't vote for yourself)?

Or if the challenge can me measured by a metric (speed or bytes etc) then I guess it's pretty easy to work out.

I'm excited :-)

Photon 13 April 2016 00:13

Best to await what Dan has in mind, I think ;) Rules will have to be specific and locked if there's to be a competition. Better if it's real-time and generally useful, just asking for thoughts on the best approach or how can this code be sped up.

Leffmann 13 April 2016 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanScott (Post 1083194)
Perhaps can pick a regular / standard routine.. and see who comes up with the fastest or most elegant way of doing it in ASM ?

Maybe some simple rules... like to minimise memory requirement (just to prevent a routine that uses 2 megs of lookup-tables etc..)

What do you coders think ?

I started something like this a while back intended to be a set of smaller general problems anyone could run into while programming, but only finished a couple of them so far. It would be plain M68K programming, so anyone familiar with the CPU could join.

But you had more Amiga specific problems in mind, like demo effects or other things related to the Amiga hardware I guess?

Quote:

Originally Posted by clenched (Post 1083380)

I think you'll do much better than me to be honest.

DanScott 13 April 2016 08:32

Well, my idea was to take a standard routine type, that most people might have in their "utility.s" file (or similar) to see if anyone can come up with the quickest method. I wasn't thinking of anything particularly large, certainly nothing what would require having a set number of bitplanes & DMA set up etc (as Photon mentioned).

I will have a little think, and see what I can come up with for the first competion task ;)

meynaf 13 April 2016 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanScott (Post 1083494)
Well, my idea was to take a standard routine type, that most people might have in their "utility.s" file (or similar) to see if anyone can come up with the quickest method. I wasn't thinking of anything particularly large, certainly nothing what would require having a set number of bitplanes & DMA set up etc (as Photon mentioned).

I will have a little think, and see what I can come up with for the first competion task ;)

This is my view on the subject as well.

I'd vote for useful things such as bit strings manipulations, computations such as integer square root, etc.
Not sure it has to be pure 68000 though. Perhaps a few 020+ contests would be good.