English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.FS-UAE (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Compact Flash Card Prep on Linux FS_UAE (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105561)

Paperboy 27 January 2021 20:16

Compact Flash Card Prep on Linux FS_UAE
 
Hello ,
I want to mount in fs - uae a compact flash card where I can play software on it.

how to do this ?

I have
FS-UAE Launcher 3.0.5 and linux mint

greetings

gryf 28 January 2021 12:59

Assuming that you have CF card, that already has been used within an Amiga, you'll need to:
  • locate device for your inserted card - you could use dmesg information (most probably it will be /dev/sdx, where 'x' is the letter for the device),
  • change permission for the device, so that user which is running fs-uae can access the CF device,
  • add to FS-UAE config the line
    Code:

    hard_drive_Y_controller = ide0
    hard_drive_Y = /dev/sdx

    where 'Y' is the drive number, depending on your existing configuration, presumably 0,
  • run fs-uae.

Paperboy 28 January 2021 19:56

2 Attachment(s)
lsblk

dmesg:
sdc: RDSK (512) sdc1 (DOS^C)(res 2 spb 1) sdc2 (DOS^C)(res 2 spb 1) sdc3 (DOS^C)(res 2 spb 1)


Hello all ,

I do not know myself so well
Is that correct so far ?

Greetings

quantum8 29 January 2021 07:16

If you're aiming to put on a real amiga, I would add:
hard_drive_0_type = rdb

Also, if you get an error when launching fs-uae that the device cannot be found, you may need to run in a terminal: chmod 777 /dev/sdc

gryf 29 January 2021 07:38

Yup!

Here is mine SD 8GB flashcard, where I have shared AmigaOS and Debian:
Code:

sdc: RDSK (512) sdc1 (DOS^C)(res 2 spb 1) sdc2 (DOS^C)(res 2 spb 1) sdc3 (LNX^@)(res 2 spb 1)
Note, that fdisk/cfdisk will not be able to recognize RDB partition table (at least for me) only parted/gparted was capable of doing so.

As for the permission.
Code:

~ # ls -l /dev/sdc*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 32 01-29 07:10 /dev/sdc
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 33 01-29 07:10 /dev/sdc1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 34 01-29 07:10 /dev/sdc2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 35 01-29 07:10 /dev/sdc3

In my case, only
root
and everyone in group
disk
can access devices for this flashcard. So either I'll add myself to the disk group (in
/etc/group
and
/etc/gshadow
for consistency) or just temporary change the permissions for all of those devices as root, before running fs-uae:
Code:

~ # chmod o+rw /dev/sdc*
Note, that you'll need to do this every time before running the fs-uae, since after fs-uae exit, device partitions will be re-discovered again, and permissions will be restored to defaults.

As for
hard_drive_0_type
- it's might be needed for unformatted disks, but in this case, it is fine to omit it, since type will be determined automatically.

Paperboy 29 January 2021 08:52

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys I can not make it

I have done everything so far also chmod 777 /dev/sdc

I can not find it under directories

I already searched but I can't find the CF

FrodeSolheim 29 January 2021 12:34

Don't put hard_drive_0 in advanced settings - as it says, it is currently being overriden by current config.

Instead put it in custom configuration (or config file).

And if you want to use Workbench 3.1.hdf as your primary hard drive, then use hard_drive_1 instead of hard_drive_0 when adding the disk...

BastyCDGS 29 January 2021 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by gryf (Post 1457170)
Assuming that you have CF card, that already has been used within an Amiga, you'll need to:
  • locate device for your inserted card - you could use dmesg information (most probably it will be /dev/sdx, where 'x' is the letter for the device),
  • change permission for the device, so that user which is running fs-uae can access the CF device,
  • add to FS-UAE config the line
    Code:

    hard_drive_Y_controller = ide0
    hard_drive_Y = /dev/sdx

    where 'Y' is the drive number, depending on your existing configuration, presumably 0,
  • run fs-uae.

Be careful with modern Linux distributions when using /dev/sdX !!!

The order can change between boots, e.g. sda can become sdb or vice versa. Better use /dev/disk/by-id or /dev/disk/by-uuid (UUID probably doesn't work with Amiga harddrives) instead.

You can use
Code:

ls -lA /dev/disk/by-uuid
or
Code:

ls -lA /de/disk/by-id
in order to see where the symlinks point (e.g. to /dev/sdc).

gryf 29 January 2021 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by BastyCDGS (Post 1457434)
Be careful with modern Linux distributions when using /dev/sdX !!!

I'd suggest, that you need to always be extra careful regarding devices.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BastyCDGS (Post 1457434)
The order can change between boots, e.g. sda can become sdb or vice versa. Better use /dev/disk/by-id or /dev/disk/by-uuid (UUID probably doesn't work with Amiga harddrives) instead.

You can use
Code:

ls -lA /dev/disk/by-uuid
or
Code:

ls -lA /de/disk/by-id
in order to see where the symlinks point (e.g. to /dev/sdc).

UUID
will not work for Amiga partitions. Using
ID
is not great idea either, since depending on the card reader/slot identifier will change. That's why I would suggest to be extra careful there and check twice, before doing anything reckless to your system/drives.

gryf 29 January 2021 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperboy (Post 1457334)
Hey guys I can not make it

I have done everything so far also chmod 777 /dev/sdc

I can not find it under directories

I already searched but I can't find the CF

Disclaimer: I'm not using fs-uae-launcher at all, so that I have no idea if it's possible to make the configuration exact as it need to be for fs-uae.

Here is my (working) example of the configuration, where I am using SD card (I've also used to use CF card, without any difference) to boot from, with defined additional "drives" which points to my filesystem under Linux:
Code:

[config]
amiga_model = A1200/020

kickstart_file = kick.rom

uae_cpu_model = 68040
zorro_iii_memory = 131072

# double check device before running, don't forget about permissions
hard_drive_0_controller = ide0
hard_drive_0 = /dev/sdc

hard_drive_1 = /tmp
hard_drive_1_label = z

If you want to boot from hardfile/directory, you will need to change the indexes, like:
Code:

hard_drive_0 = workbench.hdf


hard_drive_1_controller = ide0
hard_drive_1 = /dev/sdc

HTH.

Paperboy 30 January 2021 05:37

Hello friends ,

Thank you all very much now it has worked.

A big thank you to all of you.

Best regards


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.07599 seconds with 11 queries