English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Drive Fractalus on CD32 ??? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=41052)

Retroplay 30 November 2008 17:50

Drive Fractalus on CD32 ???

I found an interesting post over at ASSEMbler forums about a supposed unreleased CD32 game.
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=20757
I seriously doubt it's a CD32 game though.
Does anybody know more about this?

FOL 30 November 2008 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroplay (Post 482336)
I found an interesting post over at ASSEMbler forums about a supposed unreleased CD32 game.
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=20757
I seriously doubt it's a CD32 game though.
Does anybody know more about this?

Does look good, why do you doubt its a CD32 game?

Microcosm showed it could stream video back grounds, which is what it looks like to me from the pics. Maybe if CD32 had loads of games that took advantage of the CD32 hardware, it would have been an awesome success.

Retroplay 30 November 2008 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOL (Post 482365)
Microcosm showed it could stream video back grounds, which is what it looks like to me from the pics.

You got a point there.
However my first impression was that it looked like texture mapped polygon graphics in the first screenshot.
I could be wrong though. :)

JACK98 30 November 2008 19:44

Have to agree what the rest said in the assembler forum.looks like a test for mega race cd32.

ImmortalA1000 18 March 2009 18:42

Which was a rubbish game so phew!!! ;)

As far as 3D goes, with just chip ram on the motherboard the poor thing was crippled to half speed.....if only Commodore had spent 13p more on a simm socket for an extra 2mb ram upgrade for users to install just like the N64 VRAM upgrade socket....twice the speed for Polys yummmmmm and maybe Virtua Racer/StarFox type games.

JACK98 18 March 2009 19:05

Agree with you there.The ram issue probably decided its fate to be given a lot of shovel ware games

ImmortalA1000 18 March 2009 20:02

Amazing isn't it...no CD-ROM+Akiko from CBM and no simple way to add that 1mb of RAM to the CD32 from CBM either. Talk about screw yourselves before the competition arrives to finish you off haha.

JACK98 18 March 2009 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 (Post 525525)
Amazing isn't it...no CD-ROM+Akiko from CBM and no simple way to add that 1mb of RAM to the CD32 from CBM either. Talk about screw yourselves before the competition arrives to finish you off haha.

I think the lack of support killed it as well.It was more powerful than the mega cd.It should had killer apps.Let alone its obvious games like "wonder dog" and "mortal kombat" which should had given a cd32 release.

Slayer 18 March 2009 22:31

Like everything it's usually the end-user perception that ruins everything.

I brought a CD32 and a FMV unit at the same time when it was released.

Trouble is, like today, you can't guarantee people will fork out x amount of $ for this or that... so they end up chopping out (great option) because someone is always making the decisions that doesn't know what this missing great option could me in the end

JACK98 18 March 2009 22:34

a lot of cd32 accessories where third party weren't they?.commodore simply didn't have the dosh at the time to expand the cd32?

ImmortalA1000 18 March 2009 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACK98 (Post 525579)
alot of cd32 accesories where third party werent they,commodore simply didnt have the dosh at the time to expand the cd32?

I think they laid off their designers too, god the thing is ugly compared to the A1000/A3000/A1200/A600/CDTV!

I think the trouble was even with an AGA chipset some things like proper 64 colour anywhere on the screen multi parallax scrollers would be hard work and the Megadrive had the SVP chip in carts for 3D and SNES had SuperFX (DSP chips) and finally the Mega CD had additional sprite scaling capability.

Don't get me wrong Mega-CD was total crap haha, and I really laughed at Mode 7 racers on the SNES pffft nowhere near as beautiful as Lotus II/III on CD32. But it looked ugly, threw away 50% processing power for the sake of 1mb of RAM or even 512k of fast ram missing on the motherboard, we didn't have Sonic, Mario (thank god *puke*) and C= were skint so not much of a push to get people to buy it.

The more I think about CD32 the more I am wondering if the reason Paula was not replaced in the AGA update is because the purpose of AGA all along was for a CD console which would pull audio off CD and use Paula for just sound effects. Remember this is how it was in the PC world...wavetable/Roland MT-32 for music and scratchy crappy soundblaster 16 for fx/speech. Hmmm that makes a lot of sense actually. But they went the same way as their rival who made a last ditch attempt not to go bankrupt by releasing a console and abandoning the computer users with no more updates to their home computers. ;)