English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   OT - Technical (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Network / Internet Change (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=96292)

Anubis 12 February 2019 16:18

Network / Internet Change

I will change ISP this weekend, and this time I will get modem, firewall and AP separate rather then combo that they offer.

I am thinking to go with Motorola Modem, Ubiquity for Firewall and AP and run unify server on RaspberryPi. Has anyone have any experiences with this or similar home setup?

Also, what do you have at home? Is your ISP controlling all your network?

gimbal 12 February 2019 16:31

Yeah I have the same deal, all in one and it sucks as the wifi is terrible in the thing.

I'm thinking of switching to doing the network through the electrical sockets (powerline networking) instead rather than hooking up a separate router for better wifi. For phones and tables a wifi access point will still do the trick.

Shoonay 12 February 2019 17:03

I was doing some research with modems and free firmware (Gargoyle FTW!) over the years and got a pretty nice setup.

Currently using my main ISP's cable modem (wifi all extra features turned off) and Aero2 LTE USB modem connected to a TP-Link Load Balancer TL-R480T+, that's connected to an ASUS RT-AC58U quadcore router running on ASUSWRT (but will eventually switch to Gargoyle once it's version's done) that sends the Wifi to ~10 devices and 2 cable connections to PC's in my home.

I've got the Load Balancer with the ability to use up to 4 internet connections in parallel but due to the place I live don't have the range for a stable enough connection, oh well, using an extra one just to boost the download is enough.

For the only part of the house where there's no wifi but I need it sometimes, I got a really cheap Xiaomi Mi WiFi 300M Amplifier that's just connected to an USB charger and once configured on the smartphone never touched it.

Anubis 17 February 2019 21:05

Just done installing everything.

At first, I was doubtful if Raspberry Pi 3 will be sufficient to run as UniFi server, but to my surprise it runs very good and it is very responsive.

I have modem that is capable over 1Gbps, but my current service is registered @ 150Mbps, while speed test reported ~175Mbps.

Ubquity UniFi Security Gateway integrates with UniFi server running on RPi and it was very easy to set and upgrade firmware.

Dual Band AP Pro also integrates with controller and gives you live data as it works, from client IP, brandwith, signal strengths, as well all surrounding radios and self adopts to empty spot.

To make this work I also had to get managed poe switch, that powers AP. I am planning to add one more AP to upper level of the house, but only once I figure out how to run network cable through walls from basement.

This is more setup from small business (actually I know couple that have shit setup compared to this) but for me it just works great and it was nice little experiment. Next, I have to rebuild my server room. :)

jmmijo 17 February 2019 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 1305374)
Just done installing everything.

At first, I was doubtful if Raspberry Pi 3 will be sufficient to run as UniFi server, but to my surprise it runs very good and it is very responsive.

I have modem that is capable over 1Gbps, but my current service is registered @ 150Mbps, while speed test reported ~175Mbps.

Ubquity UniFi Security Gateway integrates with UniFi server running on RPi and it was very easy to set and upgrade firmware.

Dual Band AP Pro also integrates with controller and gives you live data as it works, from client IP, brandwith, signal strengths, as well all surrounding radios and self adopts to empty spot.

To make this work I also had to get managed poe switch, that powers AP. I am planning to add one more AP to upper level of the house, but only once I figure out how to run network cable through walls from basement.

This is more setup from small business (actually I know couple that have shit setup compared to this) but for me it just works great and it was nice little experiment. Next, I have to rebuild my server room. :)

I would also enable MAC only connections from your wireless devices, hence unless somebody is trying to spoof something you will be sure it's only a device you own/have access to.

If you lose the device then you can remove the allowed MAC address from the list.

My ASUS device allows me to add MAC addresses and give them names as some devices really ID themselves with very obscure info related to the device name and the mac address combined together.

Using this together with the KEY should be a pretty good setup.

Anubis 18 February 2019 18:48

That is good advice, and now that I have list I can create MAC address white list. There is also other product I will look into, one of them is Pi Hole.

https://pi-hole.net/

I will have to check it this slows internet, but from what I see so far, it looks promising. :)

jmmijo 18 February 2019 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 1305562)
That is good advice, and now that I have list I can create MAC address white list. There is also other product I will look into, one of them is Pi Hole.

https://pi-hole.net/

I will have to check it this slows internet, but from what I see so far, it looks promising. :)

That was one of my concerns too, I found out that my old Netgear Router was too old and had a slow CPU so it limited my throughput to the inet, I was actually getting a way slower connection speed than I would have thought.

Once i upgraded to my ASUS device then my connection speed almost tripled.

Most new devices have fast enough CPU's and RAM to handle this properly however :)

Anubis 19 February 2019 21:58

First part of upgrade done:

* Static IP for RPi server
* Installed PI-Hole
* Modified DNS search order
* Built list of MAC addresses

Will work on renaming everything, follow by building white list.