English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   AmigaOS 3.1.4! [beta] (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89251)

Amiga1992 30 October 2017 15:57

AmigaOS 3.1.4! [beta]

In my opinion possibly one of the most interesting things to be shown at Amiga32 from what I heard this weekend, and sadly not mentioned much, is the showing of a new version of AmigaOS 3.1 by Hyperion. Caught it on FB thanks to EAB user SimonV, all credit to him who was showing it at the expo! Photos pinched from there.

Olaf has talked about this a bit here, but I think this is the first time it's shown in the wild, and it actually sounds really exciting.

https://i.imgur.com/7kqOFGO.jpg

I transcribe here a sum-up of the text of the "What's new?":

Updated AmigaOS 3.1 by Thomas Richter and Olaf Barthel

Lots of bug fixes and:
- Fast File System with native 64-bit support for NSD, TD64 and direct SCSI, long filenames and resizable media support
- CrossDOS with native 64-bit support for NSD, TD64 and direct SCSI support, long filenames and resizable media support, new mfm.device
- Format, DiskCopy and HDToolbox with 64-bit support based on NSD, TD64 and direct SCSI support, plus bug fixes
- C:Mount for large media, direct SCSI support and resizable removable media
- Working soft links for the RAM disk and Fast File System
- Shell tools with long filename support, softlinks and large media support
- Math libraries that reconfigure themselves when an FPU becomes available after loading.
- New DIR command with nicely formatted output
- New Workbench that also copies links
- CPU command with 68060 support
- exec.library that no longer dies on 68060
- SetPatch, without NSDPatch and RomUpdates (not needed anymore)
- Intuition with off-screen window dragging
- aux-handler now completely rewritten in C. No more BCPL code in AmigaOS!
- More bugfixed portions: audio.device, asl.library, Compugraphic fonts, diskfont and fixfonts, icon.library, iffparse.library, Installer, iPrefs, Locale, parallel and serial devices, RAMlib and RAMdrive, rexxsyslib, scsi.device, speak-handler, More, and others
- Added V45 layers.library, V45 execute command, V46 Shell

https://i.imgur.com/WlSlb6M.jpg

Hopefully we get to see this released soon!

AMIGASYSTEM 30 October 2017 17:10

Akira there are no versions of the files, the versions shown are for layers.library and l'Execute command V45, that I already have on my 3.9.

Jope 30 October 2017 19:25

Yes, this is a great thing to have. Our beloved 3.1 has languished for too long.

Hercules 30 October 2017 21:27

Great news, but why did they not opt to add improvements to OS 3.9 which is newer?

Locutus 30 October 2017 21:34

3.9's licensing and development history is a bit of a mess, essentially its a distribution of components with various ownerships (Amiga Inc, H&P and Private individuals mostly).

As such its very difficult to reacquire the rights to continue developing from it as a base.

Amiga1992 30 October 2017 21:41

3.9 is aimed at a different type of Amiga user.
Good old 3.1 users like me and others appreciate VERY much an update to that! I would never use 3.5 or 3.9, ever.

I am well known for thinking and saying Hyperion is full of shit, but I welcome this, mainly because it's made by awesome people like Olaf, with real love for the platform. I wish them well and hopefully we can see the fruit of such hard work soon.

Those happy with 3.9 need not look into these news, not for you guys

prowler 30 October 2017 22:00

I bought the recent Kickstart 3.1 (40.72) for desktop Amigas released by Hyperion, and I would buy any new AmigaOS 3.1.x release resulting from the 3.1.4 beta initiative. :agree

Thanks for posting the news! :great

DamienD 30 October 2017 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1195865)
Good old 3.1 users like me and others appreciate VERY much an update to that! I would never use 3.5 or 3.9, ever.

Amen to that!!! :agree

Magic 30 October 2017 22:28

This is great news! I hope that it is easily available to the end users :D

spacey 31 October 2017 06:30

awesome! glad to see 3.1 still being supported, and some much welcome changes in there by the looks of it.

DrBizzaro 31 October 2017 08:02

Thanks for the info !

AMIGASYSTEM 31 October 2017 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1195876)
Amen to that!!! :agree

Damiano and tastes are tastes must be respected, who does not use it OS3.9 loses much in quality, speeds in operationsi and so much more.:)

crabfists 31 October 2017 08:36

AmigaOS 3.1.4 beta!

I will pay good money for an Amiga 3.1 OS that works with >4GB CF cards out of the box. Crossing fingers that this all works out.

dalek 31 October 2017 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabfists (Post 1195947)
I will pay good money for an Amiga 3.1 OS that works with >4GB CF cards out of the box. Crossing fingers that this all works out.

HstWB can already do that for you.

grond 31 October 2017 11:45

So what has become of the old story that Haage&Partner have the sole rights to do 68k development while Hyperion may only do PPC AmigaOS?

bubbob42 31 October 2017 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by grond (Post 1195964)
So what has become of the old story that Haage&Partner have the sole rights to do 68k development while Hyperion may only do PPC AmigaOS?

Reality became a lot more difficult than that. But you know this very well, don't you? :)

grond 31 October 2017 16:35

Well, I'm just curious what is stopping Hyperion from releasing OS4 for 68k. It looks like it can't be legal reasons any more.

Korodny 31 October 2017 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by grond (Post 1195995)
Well, I'm just curious what is stopping Hyperion from releasing OS4 for 68k. It looks like it can't be legal reasons any more.

Hyperion was quoting licensing issues as a stumbling block for that - they were referring to the licenses they had from the external OS4 developers: Nothing in OS4 is Hyperion's property, they just licensed the individual components from the external devs and distribute the collection as "AmigaOS 4". These licenses from external developers do not (or not anymore) cover 68k.

wawa 31 October 2017 19:17

thor spilled that out on a1k. os4 isnt compatible enough with the amiga, which is masked by emulatiion. he mentioned dos packets, again something aros implements, os4 doesnt. he also says theirs is a bugfix release.

all the guys hoping for backporting of os4 to 68k have again ran into a trap of their own imagination and wishes.

sean_sk 01 November 2017 00:47

Pardon my complete and unequivocal ignorance, but where does Cloanto fit in all of this.
About 8 months ago I purchased their Workbench 3.1 ADF's which had seen an update in 2016 I believe.

So do they license OS 3.1 from Hyperion? Are they a part of Hyperion? Will they release a new set of WB 3.1 ADF's to re-download? Will we have to pay for it again?

I'm certainly happy paying for it again, as any monetary support to Amiga software development is a good thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1195865)

Those happy with 3.9 need not look into these news, not for you guys

Agreed!