English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What can I do to speed up Workbench rendering? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=101864)

cjard 21 April 2020 10:24

What can I do to speed up Workbench rendering?

I'm using a config that's essentially an A1200 + Blizzard 1230-IV, superhires setin on both winuae and WB. UAE runs in a 1341*1050 window

I notice that drawing workbench windows is incredibly slow; I can almost count the icons as they appear in a disk window, and if I minimize one window that is covering most of the screen, it will take around 5 seconds for everything else to have finished drawing and be up to date. The games I play seem fine, and FPS is 50

Is it a WB software or WinUAE setting I've messed up here?

roondar 21 April 2020 10:49

Super Hires is very slow, especially if you run it in more than a few colours.

Assuming you wish to keep Super Hires and not lower resolution, there's a couple of ways. The easiest way is probably to change the WinUAE settings to be less accurate and switch on "immediate blitting", which will speed up the drawing (but may have an effect on games). You can also install "fblit", which will also speed up drawing.

You can also consider switching to using RTG graphics and an emulated graphics card for Workbench, which will speed up graphics operations by quite a bit. This is obviously somewhat more involved.

thomas 21 April 2020 11:24

The main thing to consider is: do not use the same config for Workbench and games.

For games emulation should be configured for accuracy. But this also makes it slow, like a real Amiga.

For Workbench it's better to configure it for speed. Start with the "high end expanded" quickstart. Or use an A1200 quickstart but move the compatibility slider to the lowest position.

To gain speed, disable cycle exact and vsync, set CPU speed to fastest possible and enable JIT.

RTG will help a lot but even SuperHires should be fast enough with a less accurate configuration. WinUAE should feel 1000 times faster than a real Amiga if it is not configured for accurate gaming.

roondar 21 April 2020 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 1393732)
WinUAE should feel 1000 times faster than a real Amiga if it is not configured for accurate gaming.

It's never done that for me ;)
Much faster? Yes definitely, absolutely - the difference is night and day.
But a thousand times? Nah, nowhere even close to that :D

hexaae 21 April 2020 12:19

Why don't you configure a virtual Picasso gfx card (using your PC gfx card) for a MUCH faster WB in 16M colors? Nonsense using a slow AGA/ECS screen for WB in WinUAE IMHO.

https://i.ibb.co/qNTrrq4/image.png
(requires Amiga's Picasso software drivers of course)
See cfg in my signature...

For WHDLoad installed games you can use these 2 tooltypes in the icons:
EXECUTESTARTUP=
EXECUTEPOSTDISK="uae-configuration <your degrade options here, e.g. cachesize 0 cpu_speed real>"

and/or use scripts before you launch your (non-WHD) games. If some game still has issues switching from Picasso gfx card screen to native PAL/NTSC, then you can use for example "JST EXECUTE your-exe" (jst by JOTD: http://jffabre.free.fr/amiga/hdtools.html )

AC/DC HACKER! 17 May 2020 04:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 1393732)
The main thing to consider is: do not use the same config for Workbench and games.

For games emulation should be configured for accuracy. But this also makes it slow, like a real Amiga.

For Workbench it's better to configure it for speed. Start with the "high end expanded" quickstart. Or use an A1200 quickstart but move the compatibility slider to the lowest position.

To gain speed, disable cycle exact and vsync, set CPU speed to fastest possible and enable JIT.

RTG will help a lot but even SuperHires should be fast enough with a less accurate configuration. WinUAE should feel 1000 times faster than a real Amiga if it is not configured for accurate gaming.

Very interrrrrresting. I'd recommend something I do with A4000 config; Leave everything fast. The only change needed is cycle exact DMA. That causes the other settings to go (almost or) slower. If I'm going to play WHDLoad games (Black Gold), I get it ready (prep first), then enable that and..speed is slowed and start via Icon.
However, this requires Kick 3.x, and doesn't work well with 3.1.4 so far. HA! I haven't done a LOT of testing with this, and I haven't used several version of WinUAE. 4.2 I noticed it mostly done well. Have NOT used A1200 since around that version. Perhaps I'll check into it. I will admit I haven't tied it past Black Gold intro, but since that game a lot of timing stuff..it's my usual go-to.

activist 17 May 2020 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by hexaae (Post 1393741)
Why don't you configure a virtual Picasso gfx card (using your PC gfx card) for a MUCH faster WB in 16M colors? Nonsense using a slow AGA/ECS screen for WB in WinUAE IMHO.

All depends on what you are doing in workbench.
E.g RTG and Blitzbasic 2 is a no go

hexaae 17 May 2020 13:22

You can promote (nasty) screens and force native res for whatever you want. So I can't see why BB2 (editor?) should be a no go.
The only things you can't do on RTG WB screen is using AGA hacks for rainbow effects using copperlist and the like

One old video I made using WinUAE (060 AGA, JIT ON) with a Picasso emulated WB launching native games, programs, etc.:

https://youtu.be/cXYJnWK4d7A

activist 17 May 2020 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by hexaae (Post 1400435)
So I can't see why BB2 (editor?) should be a no go.

generally in uae, 3.1 & rtg, you'll get a black screen when you run some bb code

hexaae 17 May 2020 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by activist (Post 1400460)
generally in uae, 3.1 & rtg, you'll get a black screen when you run some bb code

If you don't initialize a screen properly banging the hardware directly it can be... but it's not "a BB2 issue".