English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New CD on the way....Advice please :) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=13931)

synchro 13 June 2004 16:13

New CD on the way....Advice please :)

Ok im putting together a little cd for us.....nothing special but should be quite handy...

I have all the specs now for all Amigas and CD32....But i need the config for CDTV !!! can anyone help ???

Pics will be posted as i get it a little more presentable

synchro 14 June 2004 14:48

Ok i sorted the config prob !!!....

BUT.....The initial CDTV screen starts off in the right colours but quickly goes to RED.......Any ideas on this one please ?????

BTW...click the mouse and the second screen is fine ????

derSammler 14 June 2004 16:07

Quote:

The initial CDTV screen starts off in the right colours but quickly goes to RED
Are you talking about WinUAE ? WinUAE cannot fully emulate the CDTV right now. That red screen is all you'll get...

StephanK 14 June 2004 17:55

Well, uh.. take this with a grain of salt, but it looks to me, like i am having no trouble emulating a CDTV with WinUAE.. Or lets put it another way, i get a perfectly fine logo screen and the prefs screen is working fine as well.. I haven't tried running any CDTV soft, cause i don't own any.. :)

I am using: WinUAE 8.27 with Cloantos Amiga Forever Roms, Kick1.3 and the seperate amiga-ext-130-cdtv.rom. 68000, matchA500, no-Jit, FullECS, FastCopper 1Meg Chip..

Toni Wilen 14 June 2004 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsKiller
Are you talking about WinUAE ? WinUAE cannot fully emulate the CDTV right now. That red screen is all you'll get...

Try pressing any key :)
In Config screen press ESC to see non-red logo screen.

CD audio player or booting from CDROM won't work.

derSammler 14 June 2004 18:44

Yeah, I know that you can access the preferences screen and the cd audio player. But you can't do anything usefull with it because the cd drive/controller is not emulated. With "That red screen is all you'll get" I meant that the boot process will not go any further.

synchro 15 June 2004 01:49

Ah ha !!! the esc key worked thanks Toni

Windowskiller thanks for the feedback now i know what not to try and do :)

Stephank thanks for the config ....I have some games so il see what happens with your setup

BTW...Toni...Will you be finishing the CDTV emulation or was it just for a gimmik type of thing ??? So far the CD32 side seems to be 99% perfect seems a shame not to finish the job Winuae has really come on leaps and bounds since you took over it even runs my old time favourite "Robocop 3 3D"

KombatSanta 15 June 2004 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Try pressing any key :)

Help! I can't find the "any key" :p

synchro 15 June 2004 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by KombatSanta
Help! I can't find the "any key" :p

Right beside the "other key" are you blind :)

Toni Wilen 16 June 2004 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by synchro
BTW...Toni...Will you be finishing the CDTV emulation or was it just for a gimmik type of thing ???

Probably someday when I am again interesting in tracing extended rom's cdrom routines. (thats more boring than watching grass grow..)

Having real CDTV would also help :)

Runey 17 June 2004 06:50

Anyone interested in splitting the cost of buying a CDTV for Toni?

synchro 17 June 2004 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runey
Anyone interested in splitting the cost of buying a CDTV for Toni?

If your being REALLY serious in the interests of the future of WinUae then yes count me in......there must be some still around...Ebay maybe ???

Runey 17 June 2004 12:37

Yes definately serious. Ebay has some I'm keeping an eye on the prices. I reckon they'll go for EUR70 - 90 plus postage. We'll see, still a few days to go yet. Also e-mailed some people I know in the UK to see if they still have theres and if they want to sell them. Preferably cheap :)

Thanks by the way :D

Toni Wilen 17 June 2004 12:38

Real CDTV is not 100% requirement but it would help a lot.

I did CD32 emulation without having real CD32.. but CD32's CDROM controller is very simple and brain dead.. CDTV controller is most likely some kind of SCSI-based.

Runey 17 June 2004 12:47

Just for interests sake anybody know what one would actually be worth? Just found a guy in Prague who has 2 but doesn't want to split them? No price just asked for an offer (don't know what to offer :confused )

Anything to help WinUAE. Otherwise how could I relive my mispent youth. The Amiga is probably why I have carpel tunnel syndrome :D

synchro 17 June 2004 13:25

Quote:

Real CDTV is not 100% requirement but it would help a lot.

I did CD32 emulation without having real CD32.. but CD32's CDROM controller is very simple and brain dead.. CDTV controller is most likely some kind of SCSI-based.

No Problem Toni......Anything to help..... But if you think having a JAGUAR would help with WinUae you can sod off !!!! :crazy

:D

Seriously though......we can do this......we just have to work out how to go about it.....Probably have it sent direct to Toni.....its payment that may be the awkward bit

derSammler 17 June 2004 15:44

Quote:

CDTV controller is most likely some kind of SCSI-based.

Same SCSI chip as used for the A2090 and A590, as far as I know. That should be one of the WD33C93 series from Western Digital.

Toni Wilen 17 June 2004 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsKiller
Same SCSI chip as used for the A2090 and A590, as far as I know. That should be one of the WD33C93 series from Western Digital.

Yes but there is one problem, CDTV extended ROM uses many non-existing 33C93 registers.. Either there is something else than real 33C93 or there is something else mapped to those addresses.

My plan is to remove CDTV extended ROM (I hope it is socketed) to prevent all Kickstart CDROM accesses and then poke controller addresses until something interesting happens.

Of course I need real CDTV first :)