English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Europe Underground Scene Vs US Underground Scene (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52135)

redblade 11 April 2010 04:19

Europe Underground Scene Vs US Underground Scene

Which was better?

Were there more crackers in the US for the Atari or for the Amiga?
What about the 8bit scene.

It seemed from the cracktros that a lot of the crackers were from the Europe but there were always a lot of bbs's advertised in the US.

Just seems odd to have the crackers in Europe and the BBS's in US.

Thanks in advance

blade002 11 April 2010 05:40

The Amiga was not big in America only Europe, England and to a certain extent here in Australia so you would have not seen a large element of cracking going on for the Amiga in the US. Similarly the Atari ST and C64 were also quite large across Europe but i cannot comment on the popularity of the ST in the States, although i know the C64 was pretty much HUGE everywhere!

Not sure about the BBS advertisement issue on crack screens because to be honest i never really noticed that many that were from the US but maybe that's just my lack of observation ;)

antonvaltaz 11 April 2010 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by blade002 (Post 660000)
The Amiga was not big in America only Europe, England and to a certain extent here in Australia

England is in Europe, last time I checked ;-)

redblade 12 April 2010 14:49

I know most of the cracks I got were from Europe, I don't think I got any games cracked by Americans, but perhaps the early Quartex Games?

What about C=64? Most of the crackers were in Europe as well? I know that there was a strong hack/phreak scene in US that used C=64 you can tell by the dialers that they released even early MS DOS utils.

viddi 12 April 2010 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonvaltaz (Post 660004)

Yeah, heard of it, too. As far as I know it´s a beautiful island. :p

DDNI 12 April 2010 15:29

You think England is an Island.... You ought to check out the British Isles! Look at all them lovely little Islands to visit and not one of them England. ;)

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_MAPS/0...7_enlarged.jpg

coze 12 April 2010 15:47

Quote:

hmm,
England you say ? sounds familiar ... was it in the antilles ? :spin

viddi 12 April 2010 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDNI (Post 660349)
You think England is an Island.... You ought to check out the British Isles! Look at all them lovely little Islands to visit and not one of them England. ;)

Nitpicker. ;)

redblade 15 April 2010 09:46

was just wondering if there were any US Amiga crackers? Perhaps QuarTeX members?

birdy-scc 17 April 2010 02:55

From what I remember on the Atari ST, there weren't any well-known crackers from the US. The Americans tended to be running the BBS and trading.

redblade 17 April 2010 13:09

@birdy-scc: That's what I kinda figured, it seems that the Americans had all the $$$ and hardware, and Europeans had all the software skills.

waal 17 April 2010 22:15

There were famous american crackers on amiga too, The Surge of Paradox/Quartex was one of them.

redblade 18 April 2010 01:28

was he the one who did the early Quartex releases like Hybris?

blade002 18 April 2010 01:34

Quote:

I have heard many Brits say they don't consider themselves as part of Europe so i was trying not to rock the boat ;) The following is what i found and guess it explains in more detail what they were getting at, so don't stress little one, i am not that geographically uneducated.

Geographically: it is part of the European plate
Politically: it is part of the European Union
In general: it is considered part of Europe as a whole

The Brits themselves says that the UK is part of Europe but not part of Continental Europe.

waal 18 April 2010 02:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by redblade (Post 661994)
was he the one who did the early Quartex releases like Hybris?

mmmhhh Hybris was released in 1988 so it might been cracked by german cracker Rob.

antonvaltaz 18 April 2010 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by blade002 (Post 661995)
I have heard many Brits say they don't consider themselves as part of Europe so i was trying not to rock the boat ;)

The Brits themselves says that the UK is part of Europe but not part of Continental Europe.

Well, I don't want to get political or drag this thread too OT, but there are also a lot of Brits who wouldn't agree with the above.

Galahad/FLT 18 April 2010 07:59

The reasons for the US having the BBS's and Europe the main cracking scene is simple.

Amiga was popular in Europe, it wasn't in America.

Americans could buy modems and hard drives cheaper than we could.

And the coup de grace was that bluboxing (phone phreaking) meant you could call the US for free, hence the plethora of US based BBS's.

As already mentioned, The Surge/Quartex was American, I can't think of any others.

demoniac 18 April 2010 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 662024)
As already mentioned, The Surge/Quartex was American, I can't think of any others.

Wasn't Blackhawk from the US as well? I remember a few others, but they weren't as well known.

StingRay 18 April 2010 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by demoniac (Post 662027)
Wasn't Blackhawk from the US as well?

Blackhawk wasn't from the US, he is from Denmark.

athiga 18 April 2010 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 662024)
The reasons for the US having the BBS's and Europe the main cracking scene is simple.

Amiga was popular in Europe, it wasn't in America.

Americans could buy modems and hard drives cheaper than we could.

And the coup de grace was that bluboxing (phone phreaking) meant you could call the US for free, hence the plethora of US based BBS's.

yes simple bbs americans crackers uk and demo coders sweden
northern europe denmark finland ect

ive always thought the
coders from northern hemosphere have long nights snowed in for coding longer :cool and perfecting code :lol