English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   "Pure" platformers? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=44391)

PowerPie5000 01 May 2009 01:42

Erm... ok i think this thread should get shut down before it turns into a "USA vs AUS vs UK vs THE WORLD" flame war :shocked....although i admit the results could be amusing... and this is all over that little fat plumber and his big moustache :nuts

Calgor 01 May 2009 03:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefcep (Post 542249)
I doubt that most computer games were designed for a joystick,yes many were in the 70's and early 80's, but don't forget a hell of a lot game and watches (and simpler rip-offs) were sold at the time and once the ATARI 2600 died, Nintendo and Sega dominated, and that meant joypads.

I think you'll find in many countries that the time period between the 2600 and nintendo/sega was also filled by the c64 which sold tens of millions. This computer used mostly a joystick.

But of course it's horses for courses. Some ppl prefer consoles over computers just as some joypads over joysticks. Me being a left hander I would have thought a joypad would be easier to transition to, and it is compared with a right hander I know who has only ever used a joystick.
I do like extra buttons and would be good if joysticks had a few extra just like in the arcades - so for mine I think the arcade joysticks are the best balance overall for platformers.

The best are those games (such as lotus, tho not a platformer) where you can choose to use up or choose to use the button to accelerate.

switchblade 01 May 2009 05:29

Just to reply to the OP's post: There is no such thing as a "pure" platform game. The genre, in and of itself, can be expanded with different concepts loaded into a platform game. You sure as hell aren't going to tell me that games like Mario and Sonic can be compared with Turrican, Metroid, or Another World? Because they can't.

BTW, there is no such thing as a perfect controller. People will enjoy with whatever controller they like to use, due to personal preferences. There is not a single controller out there on planet Earth that everybody will agree on as the best.

But what does it matter what I say? I'm just an American who grew up with both a PC and gaming consoles, and I have never ever heard of an Amiga in my entire life, until about a year ago. >_> I'm more or less surprised the C64 was popular in America, but not the Amiga. I wonder why?

P.S.: I prefer right-hand drive cars, instead of left-hand drive ones. Is an Englishman or an Aussie gonna ostracize my driving skills because of that? >_>

DH 01 May 2009 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 (Post 542678)
Erm... ok i think this thread should get shut down before it turns into a "USA vs AUS vs UK vs THE WORLD" flame war :shocked....although i admit the results could be amusing... and this is all over that little fat plumber and his big moustache :nuts

I couldn't agree more, this thread really sucks. It's surely time for a GM to say enough is enough and close it down, before there is an all out war between members of different countries arguing about which platformer is best, which console is best and which controller is best.

IMO I don't bloody care, I prefer the single buttoned joystick on the Amiga, and I need a gamepad, or mouse and keyboard, for everything else. I certainly won't be ramming my opinions down others throats to cause this much anoyance. As I've already mentioned which platformer I would choose etc I aint going to say it again, you'll just have to find it within all of the crap in this thread. Man, I feel like I'm getting a migrain, I wonder why :banghead

TCD 01 May 2009 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser (Post 542767)
Man, I feel like I'm getting a migrain, I wonder why :banghead

Isn't that your wife's job? :p :D ;)
Oh and second what you said (except for the migrain part maybe... ;))

Sensi 01 May 2009 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchblade (Post 542699)
Just to reply to the OP's post: There is no such thing as a "pure" platform game. The genre, in and of itself, can be expanded with different concepts loaded into a platform game. You sure as hell aren't going to tell me that games like Mario and Sonic can be compared with Turrican, Metroid, or Another World? Because they can't.

There is a "pure" platform game - Jumping Jack. I play it with a joypad that has six fire buttons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchblade (Post 542699)
P.S.: I prefer right-hand drive cars, instead of left-hand drive ones. Is an Englishman or an Aussie gonna ostracize my driving skills because of that? >_>

I prefer lefthanded girls (they are better than righthanded) and I dont like Mario games, they suck.

This is not only my opinion but ultimate truth.

DH 01 May 2009 14:36

Come on Sensi, war will be imminent with remarks like that :D

blade002 01 May 2009 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by pce_gamer (Post 542675)
Naive and moronic? I love it when a someone outside the states has such great insight into our country. Cause, you know, were everthing like you see in the US made movies. Yup, that's us to a "T". No such thing as diversity here. Nope. And never mind that Mario was extremely popular in Japan. But hey, they're naive and moronic too, right?

I guess that's why the GB/GBA/NDS was so popular in the rest of the world. You guys turned into naive and moronic gamers too. Welcome to the family :)

Let it be known right now that i am not AGAINST AMERICANS! Its just a fact that some of the more alternative systems were not big in America and that when i mention the words "naive" and "moronic", i am only addressing the many that proclaim a game like Mario is the be all and end all when they have been blissfully unaware of the rest of the world and what it was it experiencing in that time such as the 80's and 90's.

The Japanese had games that WE in the west NEVER experienced and no i would not say that they are moronic because i have never had a Japanese tell me that Mario is the greatest thing ever made and NOTHING has ever come close (being able to speak Japanese may help), and i although i am not saying that it never happens, i just find that good majority of comments like yours comes predominately from Americans.

Which goes back to what i was saying a minute ago about having NEVER experienced some absolutely KILLER Japanese games because they were never released in the West, so as a result i would not be so ignorant that any "one" game on the Amiga outdoes all else in a particular genre!

And i have been to America, i was there for 6 weeks back in 2003 and i met some wonderful people and i enjoyed my stay but there, but i am not talking about the general populace in this discussion i am talking about the American "gaming" populace. There are actually a few American gamers that take part in the EAB competitions but they seem to be of the very few that experienced the Amiga in its entirety in that time and do not have idealogical idea that Nintendo games are Gods gift to the entire world of gaming. They are level headed individuals.

I have also been to Germany, France & South Korea and you do find distinct differences in what they consider a good gaming.

And your statement about us turning into moronic gamers because of the GBA..etc.. well mate, we had back then virtually ALL the systems were big in the 80's and 90 across Europe/Australia/England so we got to see it from all sides and not just the side of Nintendo and Sega (and yes, i do know that the C64 was big in America), so the understanding we have of such an Alternate system such as the Amiga is something that was not granted to many Americans of that time.

I guess you could say that we were "all rounders".

Sensi 01 May 2009 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser (Post 542802)
Come on Sensi, war will be imminent with remarks like that :D

But lefthanded girls with two buttons are more sexy, I cant help myself :sad

War? YES! Lets bomb this thread :D

PowerPie5000 01 May 2009 15:59

Nintendo Consoles were huge in the US years ago and as a result the "Nintendo" name often replaced the word "console" or "system".....

So someone with any type of console in the US would be like "lets go play Nintendo" when what they really have is an atari or some other console. The word Nintendo just became a common household name for any video game system/console...

An example of this in the UK would be a vacuum cleaner.... some people just call it a "Hoover" when actually they own a Dyson or some other brand vacumm cleaner. "Hoover" is actually a brand of vacuum cleaner but became a household word replacing "vacuum cleaner" for many people.

Did anyone understand what i just said :confused

TCD 01 May 2009 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 (Post 542833)
Did anyone understand what i just said :confused

Yup ;) In Germany it's 'Tempo' for a paper handkerchief.
Oh and I got what you tried to explain about Nintendo and America. Let's just drop the subject :agree

killergorilla 01 May 2009 16:09

Selotape, Tannoy, Coke...

:D OT!

PowerPie5000 01 May 2009 16:12

Yep just saying that Nintendo was bigger in the states than any other console... so i suspect the vast majority who owned them may consider it to be the best etc.... but thats their preference and i don't really care as long as they don't preach about it all the time.... especially in an Amiga forum :nuts Any way i'm getting bored with this thread already :sleep

By the way i do not "dislike" Nintendo... I actually like many gaming platforms :spin

Sensi 01 May 2009 16:13

To lux and to xerox here.
And cumet and cumlat.

switchblade 01 May 2009 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi (Post 542800)
I prefer lefthanded girls (they are better than righthanded) and I dont like Mario games, they suck.

This is not only my opinion but ultimate truth.

Uh... what?

Sensi 01 May 2009 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 (Post 542833)
So someone with any type of console in the US would be like "lets go play Nintendo" when what they really have is an atari or some other console. The word Nintendo just became a common household name for any video game system/console...

IIRC "lets go play Nintendo" is used in Youth in Revolt (C.D.Payne).

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by switchblade (Post 542843)
Uh... what?

Jumping Jack is pure platformer.

Edit:
This thread needs more quotes.

Edit:
Jumping Jack is quick and bold, not only pure.
And more edits.

switchblade 01 May 2009 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi (Post 542845)
Jumping Jack is pure platformer.

Edit:
This thread needs more quotes.

Edit:
Jumping Jack is quick and bold, not only pure.
And more edits.

Yeah, I understood that. But then you started talking about girls, when I brought up which type I cars I prefer, and then went on to say that you didn't like Mario games, even though I never said anything about Mario in the first place.

Graham Humphrey 01 May 2009 16:38

What utter nonsense. This thread's time has clearly now come.

I left this open because I thought perhaps it would improve a bit but maybe I ought to know better by now.

You lot couldn't debate your way out of a paper bag :p

Purely my opinion of course :D