English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   APC&TCP: Project Guru Book Reprint Discontinued (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=36620)

gunatm 29 June 2008 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalion (Post 414628)
Man stop this dicussion. I think this thread should be closed. This won't lead to anything. Same happened some years back with the good old Germand Amiga Emulation Board (GAEB maybe some of you remember it.) and finally led to ist closure. So i won't say anymore to this. :scream:sad

Sorry Thalion ... the closure of the GAEB had an other personal background. The german amiga community consist of the same members without the administration staff. We see us in the same tradition! plz ... let this story buried in peace! In fact the community of the gaeb found itself outlocked off he board. But this was many years ago and won´t happen again.

blaklite 18 August 2009 12:42

I haven't laughed so much for quite a while.

If the only reason the author won't publish is because of a torrent on TPB then he's sadly behind the times. I didn't know the book even existed but thanks to this (and other) threads I now know more than I ever needed.
As a piece of viral marketing I can't think of a better way to get up support, should be studied in business schools around the world.

The Amiga community seems to have suffered it's fair share of blows and disappointments, but the way it just keeps on going is a testament to it's members ability to dust itself off and start again.

The EAB seems to annoy Mr.AndreasM no end, but perhaps he might just learn to take things a little less seriously and with little less "Indian Giving" both he and Ralph might just get the support they feel they deserve.

mihcael 18 August 2009 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaklite (Post 584942)
I haven't laughed so much for quite a while.
The EAB seems to annoy Mr.AndreasM no end, ...

Yes, either a Glutton for punishment or just passionate i guess! :)

AndreasM 18 August 2009 13:24

Quote:

The EAB seems to annoy Mr.AndreasM no end, but perhaps he might just learn to take things a little less seriously and with little less "Indian Giving" both he and Ralph might just get the support they feel they deserve.

You know that Ralph cancel the reprint and not i?

Aral 18 August 2009 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreasM (Post 584946)
You know that Ralph cancel the reprint and not i?

So you've told us many times before :banghead

Marcuz 18 August 2009 14:09

this thread is old and it smells bad. Bad, i say!
Maybe there's an ancient curse written all over it! A pharaohs' curse!
please close it never to open it again!

Leffmann 18 August 2009 16:09

I still have hopes for this but to be honest I don't think Ralph Babel will reconsider even if he would get the complete and utter respect and appreciation from the Amiga community that he feels he deserves.

StingRay 18 August 2009 16:12

This whole thread is comedy gold. Apparently a certain Mr.Babel didn't feel like working on the book anymore and what's the easiest way out? Yeps, blame it on the evvvvil pirates. Hilarious, bloody hilarious.

Ian 18 August 2009 16:48

Quote:

The EAB seems to annoy Mr.AndreasM no end

At least the feeling is mutal.

He is worse than Cloanto, at least they actually do something with their rights (even though it's overpriced shite) rather than just demand websites close.

mfletcher 18 August 2009 17:33

Necro Threads, Best Threads.

I second what someone said earlier on this thread that the best way to market this book if it had been released, would be to stick it up on Hulu and let users buy print copies. Ship the pdf with every hardcopy sold.

But I didnt know this book existed; is it a guide to programming OS 3.1?

<Me fires up Transmission...>

Paul_s 18 August 2009 22:20

I would've glady bought a couple of copies.

Never mind I'll go out on a date with Shoonay instead and buy a round of drinks!

chiark 18 August 2009 22:41

Me too.

And Paul, can I be a gooseberry?

Sallinen 04 September 2009 14:53

I'd buy one.

Harrison 04 September 2009 16:26

This thread has been an interesting read.

The only thing AndreasM has achieved with starting this thread is in promoting the free pirated copy of the older version of the book.

Cancelling a book and then moaning that it was due to a copy of the older version being freely available is commercial suicide. If no new reprint of an updated edition is available to buy then what would you do? That's right. Pop over to a well know torrent site and download the old one!

Why bother arguing with AndreasM? Someone should just approach the author themselves and discuss how it can still be published. He still spent his time on the new edition, and so far has not seen any return on this investment of his time and energy. I'm sure he would like to given the chance, and a good argument for why it would still be feasible.

As someone else mentioned, there are some good sites that print books on demand, so you don't lose any money as you are not having to pay for a limited print run before any sales are made. You just get a smaller cut of each sale due to the higher costs of printing a book per copy sold. But it is still a copy sold and some money given back to the author for their hard work.

So, if some of you really want to see this book published, stop arguing with the wrong person, cut out the "middle man" and go to the source!

Loedown 06 September 2009 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreasM (Post 422474)
i get the info "no chance" 2 days before i release the press release.

the problem are not the printing. the problem are not the money. the problem are the pirate copie.

I don't know who you are, I won't be rude to you, but to have someone turn around on a project and say, no I won't do it, because an OLD version appears online, seems to me they have the most fragile ego of all time.

I would buy a copy of the book, but like Alexh says, some of us prefer electronic download, for me, I like both book form and electronic.

To me, this pirate copy seems to be an excuse for a pathetic cop out.

Bamiga2002 10 January 2010 19:16

What's up with this? Has Ralph made any contact whatsoever?