English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Gotek Floppy emulators and Amiga computers now working together! :) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72467)

gira93 26 February 2014 12:59

Mine is somewhere in Serbia according to the Tracking ... I also can't wait!

cgugl 26 February 2014 13:37

I also purchased a TTL 232 rs232 serial port ch340
for 3 euros (inc. shipping).
The seller gave me this link
http://www.winchiphead.com/download/CH341/CH341SER.ZIP

Turran 26 February 2014 16:44

I got my 5 other GOTEKs today.

History:
I managed to flash my first one on Win8.1 x64.
Friend could not flash his so took it to me. I could not flash it either.
Tried my first one again. Did not work. Tried on Win7 x64 as well. Tried more then 500 times but never managed to reproduce my first firmware upgrade. No idea why.

Got a tip to run the program in compability mode (XP SP3) and as admin. Did not work.

Got another tip. Run it in XP x86. I only had my GOTEK now but at least I could connect to it.

However, I did not get to select "STM32_Connectivity-Line_128k". I only got a list:
"
STM8_128K
STM8_16K
STM8_256K
STM8_32K
STM8_64K
STM8L_16K
STM8L_32K
STM8L_64K
STM8L_8K
"

None of which worked.

Today I got my 5 other ones. Tried the first one in XP x86. Could connect to it and remove the protection. After that, the program froze. Had to restart.

After that, I did not get the "STM32_Connectivity-Line_128k" option when I connected to it. Only the damn list. None of which worked.

Now, up until now, I never got any contact when I connected VCC and GND to the power of the GOTEK. Only when using an ATX PSU for the power did I get any connection.

I read another thread that sayd you should have GND from the USB SER TTL adapter connected as well. My GND was occupied by the ATX power supply so I connected it to GND on the floppy connector instead.

Success! I got the "STM32_Connectivity-Line_128k" option again and could program the first 2 without any issue.

Tried the same thing on Win8.1 x64 without success.

Conclusion for me:
Use XP x86
Connect TXD, RXD and GND from the USB adapter.
Take power from an ATX PSU.

Here is a picture to illustrate how I finally manged to connect 100% of the time.

http://www.grandis.nu/images/GOTEK_PROGRAMMING.jpg

johnim 26 February 2014 18:04

i just used the serial for power see post 103 and 105

johnim 28 February 2014 20:49

second emulator done :great

Starglider 2 01 March 2014 18:48

Pardon my n00bnorance guys 'n' gals (there are girls here right?). I have my A500 in front of me, and want to know: Will this device offer me a plug 'n' play ADF solution? It seems a lot of you are having problems with "flashing", "headers", "buttons". I really just want something I can order, install (I'm tech enough to take the floppy drive out etc.) and PLAY!

Am I better off waiting for Kipper2k's Pi solution?

Or can someone post a 100% failsafe 'shopping list' for this item and any other 'bits 'n' bobs' needed, that any n00b can order, receive, install, and play?

Hope so!

bubbob42 01 March 2014 19:01

If you want a solution without possible trouble, you'll have to go for the excellent HxC at the moment.

alexh 01 March 2014 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starglider 2 (Post 940920)
Will this device offer me a plug 'n' play ADF solution?

Eventually yes. But there is a bit of fiddling to get the new firmware on it. Remember these things are only $21 delivered!

Quote:

I really just want something I can order, install (I'm tech enough to take the floppy drive out etc.) and PLAY!

If you go with the HxC you will get that, but you'll pay $60 more

Quote:

Am I better off waiting for Kipper2k's Pi solution?

Never tried it but I imagine you'll pay at least $30 more.

You need to see if some kind soul on this forum will sell you a pre-flashed Gotek unit for a very small premium?

robinsonb5 01 March 2014 19:55

I'll be very surprised if pre-flashed units don't appear on EBay in the near future. In the meantime, just waiting for my own stock unit to arrive on a slow boat from China!

ChrisUnionNJ 01 March 2014 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 940932)
Eventually yes. But there is a bit of fiddling to get the new firmware on it. Remember these things are only $21 delivered!

If you go with the HxC you will get that, but you'll pay $60 more

It costs $100 to get a HxC to the USA and that's right from lotharek so
if you want to take the risk in learning something new it's worth it..:agree

Higgy 01 March 2014 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinsonb5 (Post 940940)
I'll be very surprised if pre-flashed units don't appear on EBay in the near future. In the meantime, just waiting for my own stock unit to arrive on a slow boat from China!

They have appeared on Amibay for £20. But that is quite a good price. I think it is being offered to let people experience the GOTEC rather than make loads of money.

Most people don't hack/mod electronics so they would not have an option to try the GOTEC. I like mucking about and I have modified phones, DVD players, car and consoles. So I took up the challenge of flashing the GOTEC.

bubbob42 01 March 2014 21:40

Buying a pre-flashed device now is not exactly wise, since the firmware is still being developed and enhanced.

Retrofan 01 March 2014 21:47

I'm interested in knowing more about the possibility of using an LCD screen, if that's possible, what information would it display, what kind of lcd screen could be used, how, etc.

Starglider 2 02 March 2014 01:42

Thanks everyone. What is the best link directly to the exact HxC I should order to get 'plug and play' operation? I see lots of different ones at their website.

I trust it just screws into place without case modding? Or not...?

lukassid 02 March 2014 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrofan (Post 940978)
I'm interested in knowing more about the possibility of using an LCD screen, if that's possible, what information would it display, what kind of lcd screen could be used, how, etc.

Me too

alexh 02 March 2014 09:30

Why? All the info you could ever want to display on a lame LCD gets displayed on the TV!

Plus you need to cut up your Amiga case for an LCD. Nasty!

lukassid 02 March 2014 10:18

From what I could see you have to cut your Amiga to install gotek anyway.

hansel75 02 March 2014 10:28

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 941053)
Why? All the info you could ever want to display on a lame LCD gets displayed on the TV!

When it's done as nicely as this, you can't beat the HXC and LCD Panel for looks and ease of use!

Arnie 02 March 2014 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukassid (Post 941064)

Really? I hoped it would slot straight in.

Retrofan 02 March 2014 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 941053)

Well, I won't cut any hole on the miggy, I just want to use it as DF1, external.

Edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukassid (Post 941064)

For those that want it internal, I don't see any reason for a cut, and you can take out the small screen even, it seems:

http://cortexamigafloppydrive.files....ized.jpg?w=660

http://cortexamigafloppydrive.files....ized.jpg?w=660