English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.ClassicWB (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   BestClassicWB v2.0 for OS3.2 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=107410)

rabidgerry 01 July 2021 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by guybrush (Post 1493313)
Thanks for the package! I tried it on vanilla 3.2 install and I can confirm that there are some issues with performances.

The refresh of the screen on a 030/50 is sluggish; comparing this to CWB ADVSP is like night and day... CWB goes twice as fast as 3.2 with this pack, so I guess there is something that is chomping resources.

This is what I have been describing also so I'm really unsure as to how anyone else is not having these issues.

I'm not using a 030 and I'm getting it using a 060 in WINUAE. And this is when I have removed tinymeter. It just draws everything really slowly, takes a long time for icons to appear. Removing the tinymeter stopped CPU going over 100% in WINUAE sure, but the mouse pointer lag and time it takes to draw windows is still very slow.

****edit**** so if I don't have the RTG card should I just get rid of RTG.library? Where is it stored and I will remove to see if it sorts shit out?

rabidgerry 01 July 2021 13:39

Found it, but it made no different putting it into storage.

rabidgerry 01 July 2021 15:30

Installed the new v2.0.2 but still same issue

However I figured out WTF was going on with Dopus. So I double click everything, so when I was double clicking Dopus along the bottom I was getting two instances of it opening up. I'm just so used with double clicking. Anyway I change this?

samplist 01 July 2021 18:13

@rabidgerry have you tried removing the Native Monitor driver from Devs/Monitors?

rabidgerry 01 July 2021 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by samplist (Post 1493591)
@rabidgerry have you tried removing the Native Monitor driver from Devs/Monitors?

I have not, but I will

rabidgerry 01 July 2021 18:55

I removed that, seems quicker now I think. Still get ghost mouse point though but it's moving quicker. I might always get ghost mouse pointer though so I will need to check another config.

AMIGASYSTEM 01 July 2021 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidgerry (Post 1493546)
****edit**** so if I don't have the RTG card should I just get rid of RTG.library? Where is it stored and I will remove to see if it sorts shit out?

If you don't have an RTG system the RTG.library should be ignored, what you are experiencing I have also experienced.

In my opinion OS 3.2 must be installed Clean and then build on top of it what you need, any mixing with other OS generate strange slowdowns.

rabidgerry 01 July 2021 21:16

Yes I agree. All installs I have created are fresh OS3.2 onto blank HDF.

No install over anything else. Even though you are supposed to be able to do that.

AMIGASYSTEM 01 July 2021 21:30

Install the applications one at a time so that you can quickly locate the problematic software.

AMIGASYSTEM 01 July 2021 22:40

Tried some higher performance software on a Clean OS 3.2 and everything works fast

fitzsteve 01 July 2021 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1493639)
Tried some higher performance software on a Clean OS 3.2 and everything works fast

looks awesome nice work

AMIGASYSTEM 01 July 2021 23:19

It can be done better, I did a quick thing to test some apps, there are inconsistencies on graphics and fonts because those programs had the settings on my AfA One, however they all worked fine.

AMIGASYSTEM 02 July 2021 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzsteve (Post 1493642)
looks awesome nice work

Now it's already better ;)

rabidgerry 02 July 2021 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1493622)
Install the applications one at a time so that you can quickly locate the problematic software.

This is not possible with this script.

AMIGASYSTEM 02 July 2021 10:25

You have to do everything manually, it takes some time but it's the only way to figure out what is creating the problem.

rabidgerry 02 July 2021 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1493693)
You have to do everything manually, it takes some time but it's the only way to figure out what is creating the problem.

Defeats the purpose of BestClassicWB v2.0.2 really.

AMIGASYSTEM 02 July 2021 12:29

Once you find the culprit everything should work fine !

If you install so much software it is difficult to identify who is creating the problem, one application may not work another and thus confuse the search for the culprit.

samplist 02 July 2021 20:30

I've just installed BestClassicWB v2.0.2 into my A1200 + Blizzard 1230IV, I didn't notice any weird behavior vs my previous 3.1.4 install, but in UAE I can see the slowdown using rabidgerry's config.

rabidgerry 02 July 2021 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by samplist (Post 1493779)
I've just installed BestClassicWB v2.0.2 into my A1200 + Blizzard 1230IV, I didn't notice any weird behavior vs my previous 3.1.4 install, but in UAE I can see the slowdown using rabidgerry's config.

Perhaps something weird in UAE?

It's not like it's a weird UAE setup is it?

guybrush 03 July 2021 08:54

This is surprising; thanks guys for going through the process of troubleshooting.

I followed your suggestions, and overall the performances are mildly improved on WinUAE; one thing I noticed is that the devs folder has a ton of printers and keymaps; I just moved everything I don't use into storage folder; just to keep things tidy.

I am going to put the OS image on a SD card and load it on my real amiga to see if the issue is WinUAE or not. I have the same configuration of Samplist; and he is not getting the issue on his real amiga. On UAE I emulated 1:1 my real world amiga, so I would expect them to behave exactly the same