English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Hardware mods (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   A4000 DIY Motherboard (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=90975)

Chucky 28 February 2018 12:32

Serialport is important for DiagROM. (that will be very useful for debugging) but a db9 port. make it more modern. :)
external floppy. well I can handle without it. do as AmyITX, they have used unused pins of the internal 34pin floppyconnector to handle more drives. then people can do a connector by themselved for external. if they want to.

SnkBitten 28 February 2018 13:37

I'd definitely keep Zorro slots on the board, I'd love a new(er) A4000 motherboard for ATX cases but I also have a lot of Zorro II/III cards that I don't want to give up.

I'd want the A4000 experience.....Zorro boards, video slot, etc..

I agree with Chuck on changing as little as possible on your first design to make sure you have everything working, then start making your desired changes.

elenachen 28 February 2018 15:09

Yes i agree with changing as little as possible. But there are things that can be easily left out, because they aren't connected on Standard.

Does the A4000D need a Riser Board to work?

Zorro is neat yes. But won't be unhappy to let that work be in queue for next Revision. A running version would be nice first.

The 23 pin Video out is a pain in the ass too......

Which Pins aren't needed? I would opt for a D-Sub 15 instead if possible......but don't know if someone needs specific pins.

Any suggestions?

Bprepared 28 February 2018 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by elenachen (Post 1223138)
Yes i agree with changing as little as possible. But there are things that can be easily left out, because they aren't connected on Standard.

Which Pins aren't needed? I would opt for a D-Sub 15 instead if possible......but don't know if someone needs specific pins.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest configuring it like the Minimig scart as they seem to be becoming the defacto standard for modern expansions now. that way you can drop the RGBi and genlock pins. (unless anyone has particular wish to keep them in)

MigaTech 28 February 2018 15:15

Amigakit does an adapter that allows the 23 way RGB to be converted to suit 15 way VGA. OK so it doesn't allow all modes but it does work to a fashion. Perhaps you could get some info on what pins go where with that device?

SnkBitten 28 February 2018 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by elenachen (Post 1223138)

Zorro is neat yes. But won't be unhappy to let that work be in queue for next Revision. A running version would be nice first.

Any suggestions?

A riser "daughter board" is not required like the A4000T as the slots are on the motherboard. Video slot is good for Video Toaster, Scandoubler/flicker fixers, etc.. My Cybervision 64/3d with Scandoubler uses a video slot and Zorro slot and my Video Toasters use a Video slot (good thing the A4000T has two of those slots).

My thoughts are that if it's the A4000 you are duplicating, have the features an A4000 had in support of the boards available for the A4000 (Toaster 4000, Scandoubler/FlickerFixer's, etc..).

My A4000D is using Video (Toaster 4000) and Zorro (Picasso II).
My A4000T is using every slot available (both Video and all all accessible Zorro).

Just my opinion....

elenachen 28 February 2018 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnkBitten (Post 1223144)
A riser "daughter board" is not required like the A4000T as the slots are on the motherboard. Video slot is good for Video Toaster, Scandoubler/flicker fixers, etc.. My Cybervision 64/3d with Scandoubler uses a video slot and Zorro slot and my Video Toasters use a Video slot (good thing the A4000T has two of those slots).

My thoughts are that if it's the A4000 you are duplicating, have the features an A4000 had in support of the boards available for the A4000 (Toaster 4000, Scandoubler/FlickerFixer's, etc..).

My A4000D is using Video (Toaster 4000) and Zorro (Picasso II).
My A4000T is using every slot available (both Video and all all accessible Zorro).

Just my opinion....

Good thing to know, what's still needed in the Community. Thx!

Will most likely build a Prototype without that interfaces. And adding them after testing.

kolla 28 February 2018 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky (Post 1223095)
Serialport is important for DiagROM. (that will be very useful for debugging) but a db9 port. make it more modern. :)

I like those boards that come with built in rs232-usb chip, so just an "android cable" is needed to get serial console :)

elenachen 28 February 2018 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by MigaTech (Post 1223141)
Amigakit does an adapter that allows the 23 way RGB to be converted to suit 15 way VGA. OK so it doesn't allow all modes but it does work to a fashion. Perhaps you could get some info on what pins go where with that device?

Looked at the Pinout of that Adapter and the Standard VGA Pinout. I'll add a +5V line to it, to be sure old monitors work correctly and voila....^^

elenachen 28 February 2018 19:41

Hmm, on the Power Input Pins to the A4000D Boards is a _FAIL pin. Does the Power Supply hold that low till it's rails are stable? Or is there another reason for this, does the logic on the Board pull that low on failure? Maybe someone could measure that pin? Sry have no A4000 yet :D

MigaTech 28 February 2018 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by elenachen (Post 1223176)
Looked at the Pinout of that Adapter and the Standard VGA Pinout. I'll add a +5V line to it, to be sure old monitors work correctly and voila....^^

Ingenious !!

elenachen 28 February 2018 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by MigaTech (Post 1223200)
Ingenious !!

Well, at least if they're 15khz compatible. Scandoubler etc. is a thing for later. The minimig probably had no 5V rail to feed the 5V pin so they left it out.

elenachen 01 March 2018 10:42

So, the _FAIL line goes high if the PSU becomes stable. Are there any obsolete Jumpers? In which cases is sync on green used for example?

Ahh and of course it'll be open sourced ;-)

idrougge 01 March 2018 21:31

You should get a soldering iron, it might come in handy if you're going to build a computer.

Oh, and you need a motherboard and a processor as well.

elenachen 01 March 2018 21:49

1 Attachment(s)
A bit chaotic atm. Should be enough? :)

Building schematics in kicad for now. This'll take a while since it's a fun project and only spare time goes in there. Want to get as much information as possible about what's obsolete in the schematics --> like the 8M Chipram jumper in the schematics.... Don't want to implement such things later in PCB Layout.....

I'll give it my best!

MigaTech 02 March 2018 12:46

Some nice equipment there !!

Mick 02 March 2018 12:58

Best of luck and don't forget to keep us updated on progress!

NorthWay 02 March 2018 20:05

Why not have the connectors as internal headers with rows of pin pairs?
Then you attach a flat cable to a break-out connector in one of the back slots. AFAIK that is how Amiga tower designs have been.

elenachen 02 March 2018 20:12

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthWay (Post 1223724)
Why not have the connectors as internal headers with rows of pin pairs?
Then you attach a flat cable to a break-out connector in one of the back slots. AFAIK that is how Amiga tower designs have been.

I want to use the ATX Shield if possible for that. Should be possible.

Still on first page.....this'll really take a while :D

MigaTech 02 March 2018 20:21

@elenachen, how big is this new board of yours going to be? I ask this as an idea of converting existing PC cases to suit your design.