English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Using a Compact Flash card on a600/a1200 PCMCIA (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=30757)

Jope 20 September 2023 14:16

There is no 4GB limit with compactflash.device

Snoopy1234 20 September 2023 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jope (Post 1643260)
There is no 4GB limit with compactflash.device

Ok Thanks for confirming.

Lord Aga 20 September 2023 16:33

In theory.

But in praxis you will often hit that invisible wall. I have two 8GB cards and they will use only 4GB. I couldn't make them use the full 8.

SPOD 21 September 2023 02:48

thanks for the info! I've got a Blizzard 1230 IV so the ram shouldn't be a problem, but if I dont need to upgrade, I wont bother.

I went with the 16 Gig as they sold it in the pack and it wasn't much more money, so I figured it must work. Not too worried if it can only address 4gb, still more than enough really.

I'm keen to try my other reader and cards now to see if it was a formatting problem. Just stoked to be able to get files over without messing with adfs. Can you still load an adf if you transfer it over with the CF card though?

Jope 21 September 2023 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Aga (Post 1643287)
In theory.

But in praxis you will often hit that invisible wall. I have two 8GB cards and they will use only 4GB. I couldn't make them use the full 8.

Did you investigate what kind of geometry these cards report? At the very least it might be a good idea to send a cfddebug output to the author of compactflash.device.

lovelace 03 May 2024 21:11

Hi all, I skimmed through the last few pages of the thread and I'm getting a similar issue I can't diagnose with my setup...

I've got an A600 with ACA620 maprom 3.1.4 softkick, default memory setting, WB 3.1.4 with BestWB. I've checked I have CFD 1.33 and Fat95 3.18 in the correct places. I edited my CF0 mount file to have "Flags = 2". Trying to use it with 3 different CF cards none of them produce a disk (CF0 mounted, no disk inserted), so I bought the same SD->CF adapter pictured in the CFD133.lha and with a 2GB SD in it that one does show "CF0:Unreadable", so it detects a disk but incorrect file system.

I've tried formatting the card, both the bare SD and in the CF adapter, both in Windows and in Linux, both as FAT16 and FAT32, to no avail. In all cases the card works fine on the machine I format in. I tried formatting in the Amiga but I get "object is not of the required type", which I'm not sure how to solve.

Does anyone know what else I could try? Thanks!

Jope 04 May 2024 10:24

Do you have a TCP/IP stack autoloading that would attempt to use the PCMCIA slot? Disable if so.
Did you try it also without Flags = 2?

lovelace 04 May 2024 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jope (Post 1682623)
Do you have a TCP/IP stack autoloading that would attempt to use the PCMCIA slot? Disable if so.
Did you try it also without Flags = 2?

No, I don't have any networking hardware or software on this Amiga. And yes, I have, same results.