English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Arcade cabinet with rotative CRT monitor and real amiga inside project (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=87550)

CFou! 19 June 2017 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinsonb5 (Post 1165680)
Can you gear them down?

It is already very slow (5 RPM) to have a lot of engine torque.

CFou! 19 June 2017 12:47

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by idrougge (Post 1165778)
One that extends out of the cabinet. Nothing fancy, just a stick attached to the monitor's axis.

with current cabinet design is difficult...

I tried with the two engines (12V 5rpm) separated by 90 ° (one below the other to the right (see photo).

The CRT screen rotates about 95% of the path to go from the horizontal position to the vertical position. After the engines block because of the friction.:banghead

The rim that is the support for the monitor is slightly veiled.

As a result, there is more friction than expected (I have already tried to unveil the wheel with a little success.

I will try to reduce frictions...

CFou! 21 June 2017 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinsonb5 (Post 1165680)
Can you gear them down?

no it's already very slow motor beetwenn 3.5 & 5RPM

CFou! 25 June 2017 00:44

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

It's seems works now !:spin:crazy

for that:
1) i have removed one of the roller wheel (3 roller wheel to support rim now)

2) I also reduce thickness from the roller wheels to limit the friction.

with to motor 12v 5rpm rotation is good but Holding the 2 motors with the hands!!

The next step is to fix the 2 motors!!!

thanks for your advices.

When I finished I will post on this thread the VariCAD schematics file of this arcade cabinet.

DamienD 25 June 2017 02:13

Awesome news CFOU! :great

Cool setup you have there; I'm most definitely jealous :agree

CFou! 29 June 2017 19:44

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1167366)
Awesome news CFOU! :great

Cool setup you have there; I'm most definitely jealous :agree

The motor is fixed (now only 1 motor is necessary !!),

The wiring of the switches is finished.

The calibration of the limit switches is finished (see picture)!

Now I can choose the CRT monitor position (horizontal or vertical) using a switch;)

Best regards

DamienD 29 June 2017 19:52

Sweet :great

CFou! 30 June 2017 19:59

1 Attachment(s)
you can see video of the first test of motorized CRT MONITOR using following URL:
https://youtu.be/HL5XzccDb_8

and here motor system with spring for better contact between rim and motorized wheel ;)

CFou! 03 July 2017 20:37

here first game test in video:
https://youtu.be/kQNGmwvv-mI

Jope 04 July 2017 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by demolition (Post 1164908)
Seems excessive to rotate something as big and heavy as a CRT, but can understand the desire to have the feature. :-) Besides the degaussing required after every rotation, could it also not give convergence problems in general? I mean the tube is adjusted for one orientation and when rotated, it won't be optimal any longer. Perhaps the errors are small enough to not be severe though.

For games in portrait mode, do they use the same tubes as regular landscape mode CRTs, i.e. with vertical scanlines or do some have horizontal scanlines in portrait-oriented tubes?

Most generic JAMMA arcade cabinets have a monitor that can be rotated. Usually not via motor, though, as the operator would turn the monitor at the same time as swapping the board.

You need a monitor chassis with a degauss button, yes. Alternatively wait for the chassis to cool down and autodegauss itself. The tube's adjustments don't come into play otherwise.

The portrait mode monitors are exactly the same monitors as in horizontal games, just mounted in the vertical position, so vert games have vertical scanlines. The monitor is merely sideways.

CFou! 21 July 2017 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jope (Post 1169403)
Most generic JAMMA arcade cabinets have a monitor that can be rotated. Usually not via motor, though, as the operator would turn the monitor at the same time as swapping the board.

You need a monitor chassis with a degauss button, yes. Alternatively wait for the chassis to cool down and autodegauss itself. The tube's adjustments don't come into play otherwise.

The portrait mode monitors are exactly the same monitors as in horizontal games, just mounted in the vertical position, so vert games have vertical scanlines. The monitor is merely sideways.

a degauss button is not needed.

Indeed, I just have to press 2 times the standby button of the remote control to demagnetize/degauss;)

CFou! 21 July 2017 23:56

3 Attachment(s)
it's finished soon !

it"s already full working in pixel perfect mode with main arcade games and megadrive/genesis games.
(Snes working but not using groovymame)

i finish marquee too (i caught choose 10 different marquees)

here 2 marques first marquees.

to do :
add Lightphasers support
try to do X-arcade - amiga joystick adaptator (to include real amiga in the cabinet)

CFou! 13 September 2017 09:28

Hi guys,

Cabinet are finished since 1 month.

I will soon modify VariCAD schematics with last minute modifications and release it.

I must just found time for that:)

Amiga1992 13 September 2017 16:34

Please post photos and videos, very interested in seeing how it turned out!

Anubis 13 September 2017 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFOU! (Post 1173282)
it's finished soon !

it"s already full working in pixel perfect mode with main arcade games and megadrive/genesis games.
(Snes working but not using groovymame)

i finish marquee too (i caught choose 10 different marquees)

here 2 marques first marquees.

to do :
add Lightphasers support
try to do X-arcade - amiga joystick adaptator (to include real amiga in the cabinet)

LOL, Wife's cousin has similar (if not the same) printer. :great

ransom1122 13 September 2017 23:32

How are you connecting the real amiga to arcade controls and real amiga to arcade screen?

CFou! 16 September 2017 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1184512)
Please post photos and videos, very interested in seeing how it turned out!

soon i'am finishing to update VariCAD 2D/3D schematic

CFou! 16 September 2017 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ransom1122 (Post 1184656)
How are you connecting the real amiga to arcade controls and real amiga to arcade screen?

not yet done.

Actually CRT monitor & hidden keyboard are common with amiga/PC.
Common mouse is possible but i prefer mouse/joy auto-switch adaptor.

Xarcade adaptor is not done, i am looking for Xarcade/PS adaptator schematic to adapt it.

I had contacted Xarcade team but of course it want not release schematic....
and official Xarcade/amiga adaptor is not planned :(

Badly XArcade/PS adaptor connected to PS/amiga ports not work....

Sinphaltimus 16 September 2017 20:56

I'm pretty sure the XArcade Tank Sticks are just keyboard inputs. Except the rollerball version. That's just a mouse. And what I mean it, that is pretty much how they are seen by a PC. The roller ball probably doesn't use the PS2 protocol.

so I'm thinking, if you had a USB keyboard adaptor like the one I have, and the USB version of the tanksticks, this could solve your issue.

I don't know what can be done about the roller ball though. you might need to throw a dev board in between for interfacing and injecting the PS2 protocol through your PS2/Amiga adaptor.

CFou! 26 January 2018 23:57

Schematics

4 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I joint the schemas promised.

It uses the excelent 2D/3D VariCAD software.

The unit used is the centimeter (0.39 in)

The default grid at like unit 5 cm (1.97 in).

regards,

ps:
soon photos of the finished cabinet