English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PFS3 is soon to become FREE and opensource (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52234)

Philophus 15 April 2010 21:39

Wow! great news...well done Gulliver.

Npl 15 April 2010 22:53

thats great news. :D
Regarding the license, I`d hope for something like the MPL or X11 License. Anything GNU is bad as this will cause trouble if you want to include the code into non-GNU stuff like AROS.

The 2-drive trick ain`t working for most modern Motherboards AFAIK.
And if sending the disks around aint an option, maybe we could fund a Catweasel for Mr. Pelt.

rare_j 16 April 2010 00:27

This is great news.
Perhaps someone nearby can lend him some hardware?

gulliver 16 April 2010 00:50

Dont worry, lets see how things evolve. For example, I know that @kolla also lives in Norway, and could probably help if asked, but lets wait and see.:)

dannyp1 16 April 2010 01:30

Gully,

Very good work my friend!

whiteb 16 April 2010 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Npl (Post 661484)
thats great news. :D
Regarding the license, I`d hope for something like the MPL or X11 License. Anything GNU is bad as this will cause trouble if you want to include the code into non-GNU stuff like AROS.

The 2-drive trick ain`t working for most modern Motherboards AFAIK.
And if sending the disks around aint an option, maybe we could fund a Catweasel for Mr. Pelt.

I know I have successfully done the 2 drive trick on a 486DX2 that I have, in fact it STILL has the dual drives. Never tried on my Gigabyte P965 motherboard to be honest. My case only has room for ONE drive anyway.

cosmicfrog 16 April 2010 11:33

wow 2 bits of great software in as many days wow no WOW with extra ribbits on top

sorta puts the quash on the hacking ps3 thread hehehehehhe, and all the better for it

no if we can get Michiel to swing by here so we can all give him a slap on the back and a great big thank you

BuZz 16 April 2010 11:40

On the subject of porting to aros etc, I guess the license only has to be 100% aros compatible if compiled into the aros kernel. also, pfs3 is likely to contain asm im sure. Infact I think it was advertised as containing many such optimised parts, so that would need to be sorted too.

Npl 16 April 2010 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuZz (Post 661605)
On the subject of porting to aros etc, I guess the license only has to be 100% aros compatible if compiled into the aros kernel. also, pfs3 is likely to contain asm im sure. Infact I think it was advertised as containing many such optimised parts, so that would need to be sorted too.

The licenses I linked to above allow inclusion in "bigger" projects (and AROS can include them). Sure that alone wont make the code work, but its a necessity to be even able to start, eg. you just arent legally capable to add code licensed under GPL in non-GPL projects.

BuZz 16 April 2010 17:58

you are not allowed to build against gpl code in a non gpl project, but there is no problem if i make a word processor for aros that is GPL licensed for example. or a filesystem.

I like the restrictions in the GPL license myself that protect my rights and the way in which my code is used. I'm not saying anything specifically about this project, but more responding in general to "gpl is bad" type comments.

AVH_2009 16 April 2010 19:29

Hi there!
If Michiel needs an Amiga to read his good old floppys,
i wouldt spend an Amiga1200 with CF-HD to him if he like this idea.
Could be that he refind the fun of this fantastic mashine and he finish the PFS4 for us.
AVH

@Gulliver contact me if he will have to try my A1200.

kolla 18 April 2010 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by gulliver (Post 661508)
Dont worry, lets see how things evolve. For example, I know that @kolla also lives in Norway, and could probably help if asked, but lets wait and see.:)

Sure, I can help, got catweasels and all - but does Michiel Pelt live around here? The name indicates Netherlands or perhaps Belgium.

Loedown 18 April 2010 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolla (Post 662092)
Sure, I can help, got catweasels and all - but does Michiel Pelt live around here? The name indicates Netherlands or perhaps Belgium.

Except his location is stated as Chile ;)

gulliver 18 April 2010 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolla (Post 662092)

Ops! He lives in Holland, in Utrech :crazy

Loedown 19 April 2010 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by gulliver (Post 662146)
Ops! He lives in Holland, in Utrech :crazy

Kraftwerk played a fantastic concert there, one of their all time best.

kriz 19 April 2010 13:39

Really cool , great work !!!

cosmicfrog 19 April 2010 14:57

anymore info on this yet

as we already have a copy on the EBA sever waiting and ready to go

Jope 19 April 2010 20:07

Patience, patience.. :-)

cosmicfrog 19 April 2010 21:44

Ribbit, Ribbit ;)

Hercules 19 April 2010 22:24

Ive posted this onto the Aros forums in hope somebody will take up a bounty for it and port PFS to Aros.

I'm hoping the sources will get released as opensource. In the meantime, if not, and somebody does get the sources, would they please let me know then I can then pass source code onto the Aros development team and then hopefully it can the be ported to Aros :-)

Thanks all.