English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   MarketPlace (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Amiga USB Mouse Adapter (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66773)

hooverphonique 10 December 2012 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinsonb5 (Post 855196)
It can be done - it just requires some multiplexing trickery in the µC firmware and a driver on the Amiga.

Yes, it would definitely require some sort of driver on the amiga, but how would you transfer the wheel movement to the amiga? Since you mention multiplexing, I suppose your idea is to use one of the x/y quadrature inputs, but that would affect the x/y counter for mouse movement, and since you cannot know if the mouse or wheel was moved several times since you last read the counters, I don't see how this can be made reliably.

Another option might be to do some magic with the unused button3/pot analog input which could be used as a "scroll stick" input.

robinsonb5 10 December 2012 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooverphonique (Post 855198)
I suppose your idea is to use one of the x/y quadrature inputs, but that would affect the x/y counter for mouse movement, and since you cannot know if the mouse or wheel was moved several times since you last read the counters, I don't see how this can be made reliably.

It's all a matter of timing.

It works pretty much like a Sega pad or CD32 pad - one of the lines is configured as an output, so in a vblank interrupt you drop it low, and in response the uC firmware puts alternative data on the LMB and RMB lines. If you're careful you can also put alternative data on the LSBs of the X and Y mouse counters - provided the original data's back on the line well in advance of the next vblank it all works out. The Eyetech EZMouse worked that way - LMB and RMB did double-duty as third and fourth buttons, while the counter LSBs worked as wheel signals. (I can't remember off the top of my head which pins they were.)

The other way of doing it is to encode data into an analogue signal of some kind and put that on the MMB pin. In practice calibrating it is problematic because the analogue counters depend upon the current screenmode! If memory serves, the Punchinello serial mouse adapter worked that way.

hooverphonique 10 December 2012 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinsonb5 (Post 855214)
It's all a matter of timing.

It works pretty much like a Sega pad or CD32 pad - one of the lines is configured as an output, so in a vblank interrupt you drop it low, and in response the uC firmware puts alternative data on the LMB and RMB lines. If you're careful you can also put alternative data on the LSBs of the X and Y mouse counters - provided the original data's back on the line well in advance of the next vblank it all works out. The Eyetech EZMouse worked that way - LMB and RMB did double-duty as third and fourth buttons, while the counter LSBs worked as wheel signals. (I can't remember off the top of my head which pins they were.)

Using an output to indicate which button(s) you want to read will work ok, but for a wheel/mouse axis it won't, since you won't know the distance the axis travelled since you last read it.. your counter needs to be clocked by the quadrature signal to work, and there much can happen in one vblank period.

now, if you can keep the wheel counter inside the uC and somehow transfer that through the existing inputs, possbily using an output to multiplex, that should work, but maybe that was what you were getting at !? :-)

Of course there's lot's of ways to hook up a mouse, but I recommend doing it so x, y, and the 2 buttons still work without a driver ;-)

robinsonb5 10 December 2012 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooverphonique (Post 855239)
now, if you can keep the wheel counter inside the uC and somehow transfer that through the existing inputs, possbily using an output to multiplex, that should work, but maybe that was what you were getting at !? :-)

Yes, exactly - you can send digital pulses via two - but not all four - of the mouse direction pins without messing up the counters, provided you retrace those steps after the driver's read them, and before the next vblank. I used one for "wheel up", the other for "wheel down" and both together for "next wheel event is horizontal, not vertical."

Methanoid 21 April 2013 18:57

What has happened to this project then?

slaapliedje 21 April 2013 23:48

I'd like to know as well! Was trying to play Dungeon Master earlier, and besides WHDLoad messing up and the saving of my game pissing me off...

Using the old 'ball and chain' mouse again is hard to get used to.

I can live with the chain, but the movement of the ball would be nice to get rid of.

Wheel support would rock.

Why are those USB amiga adapters on eBay selling for 125 bucks?? For that much I could buy a Spider USB card and have more than just the mouse work...

slaapliedje

Cymru 22 April 2013 00:35

Amiga USB Mouse Adapter

Those eBay USB adapters for the Amiga don't work. Invest in MicroMys v4 or Cocolino interface for about 30 bucks and use a 5 buck laser wheel mouse from Amazon. There are some wireless PS2 mice that live on eating batteries.

kipper2k 22 April 2013 04:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methanoid (Post 883087)
What has happened to this project then?

Amigan123 hasnt been on since 8 Dec ?

1time 22 April 2013 07:34

kipper2k ... show us some of your hardware skills ;)

Amigan123 17 May 2013 23:14

Mouse Adapters Finished

Sorry for the delay guys, health problems meant I suspended work on them for a while.

The Amiga adapter design is now complete.

I am thinking of putting them on eBay but I might just try to sell to the community as it will save on fees, as I am only making them in small batches.

I currently have enough parts to make 20 units.

Basically my adapter is a low cost alternative to the more expensive adaptors for Amiga users who want to use a more modern 2 button mouse.

Message me if interested and I will make some up!

Price is £12.99 + postage.
  • Tested Working with USB mice that are compatible with the PS2 protocol
  • (these mice usually come with a green usb to ps2 adapter!)
  • Supports Amiga BOOT menu (Hold Down Both Mouse buttons on Boot)
  • Fits Amiga 600
  • Does NOT support scroll wheel
  • Does NOT support Wireless USB mice

I have been using an old type Optical microsoft compact mouse like the one below and it works well with my adapter!

http://art4.photozou.jp/pub/841/1908...o/21437054.jpg

Also the optical sensor means its mutch smoother and better to use than the original amiga ball mouse.

Has anyone got access to a lot of USB wired mice and an Amiga and be willing to test the compatibility?

Would be great to have a list of confirmed compatible mice.

If so I dont mind sending out one of my working prototypes for FREE.

Cymru 18 May 2013 02:44

Amiga USB Mouse Adapter

I have about a dozen wired USB mice of various brands -- none too expensive.

Amigan123 18 May 2013 19:43

Compatibility Tester

I could really do with somebody who works for a PC retailer who has an amiga and could test the adapter with lots of current wired models of USB mice that are available in the shops.

That way other users can just buy a brand new compatible mouse instead of searching for older models that not currently wideley available for sale.

Also UK based so I can just send it in the post!

Cymru 19 May 2013 16:44

Amiga USB Mouse Adapter

That means removing them from their retail packaging.

bonkers 05 June 2013 17:45

If this is still happening I would be up for buying one or two.

Amigan123 05 June 2013 21:15

Adapters now for sale on eBay

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkers (Post 892449)
If this is still happening I would be up for buying one or two.

Message me for any information or overseas ordering.

I can send them to USA by airmail postage is £9 for an Airsure Packet
and takes approx 5 working days.

My first batch is on eBay, I have put the link in the eBay links section.

Also for those wanting a wireless mouse for the Amiga my adapter works with the old model Microsoft Optical Mouse V2.0
the one with the oval wireless receiver is PS2 compatible.

Its as neat as I could make it as it's hand soldered and then coated in epoxy to make it more durable.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Amiga-USB-Mou...vTw~~60_57.JPG

slaapliedje 18 March 2015 05:24

Hmm, so I still haven't been able to get some sort of gamepad to work as a CD32 gamepad. I bought some adapters to attach the Playstation 2 gamepads up, but they weren't the ones that supported switching to CD32 like I thought they were.

Could we get something like this to work with say an Xbox 360 controller?

That would be awesome.

slaapliedje

amiga_BOY 21 February 2021 03:21

I made my Amiga USB Adapter and also planning on making another PS/2 version. I think there's demand for these adapters. There are tons of old classic cheap mice for both USB and PS/2.

Amigan123 09 July 2022 14:07

Sorry work got in the way of posting about the adapter, the adapters are available on ebay and direct at trumouse.com including a true usb HID version, one for Archimedes owners and one for A500 PS/2 mice that includes scroll wheel support and a joystick switch

Leon Besson 09 July 2022 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigan123 (Post 1553679)
Sorry work got in the way of posting about the adapter, the adapters are available on ebay and direct at trumouse.com including a true usb HID version, one for Archimedes owners and one for A500 PS/2 mice that includes scroll wheel support and a joystick switch

I bought the dual one off EBay recently (plugs into mouse and Joy ports with USB + PS/2 + Dual 9-Pin ports).

To be honest, I don’t think much to it. I’m currently using a Cocolino adapter and the 2 are like chalk and cheese. With the Cocolino I’m using a USB/PS2 mouse which works great. When using the true mouse I bought, it’s sluggish and freewheel doesn’t work with it :guru

Also tried the 2 drivers off Aminet, but no difference :sad

Don’t mean to shit on this product, but just giving my Opinion on this Mang!

Amigan123 20 September 2022 16:17

USB Hid Mouse Adapter

Hi Leon sorry you had a bad experience, but the scroll wheel does work with the dual 9 pin ports, you will need to load a scrollmouse driver not just freewheel. As for being sluggish I have not noticed this issue it may be your specific mouse it work's very well with microsoft optical mice that have PS/2 compatibility.

I now have a compact a true HID USB adapter available on eBay and direct from Trumouse, works with vast majority of wired USB mice and some wireless models, its for mice only - not joysticks or game pads and no scroll wheel support, intended as a mouse replacement but also compatible with pc trackball controllers like trackman marble.

Message me and will offer a discount for any EAB members

http://trumouse.com/wp-content/uploa...ear-scaled.jpg