English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   APC&TCP: Project Guru Book Reprint Discontinued (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=36620)

BippyM 15 May 2008 20:23

Well I just did a torrent search and it's quite easy to find..

My apologies to all who are involved, but surely you knew this'd happen!

Coder 15 May 2008 20:46

sehr schade, allerdings werdet Ihr auf anderen Plattformen vor Raubkopien auch nicht verschont bleiben.

Shoonay 15 May 2008 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuZz (Post 414198)
Now im forced to get the pirate version [...]

Quote:

Originally Posted by bippym (Post 414199)
Well I just did a torrent search and it's quite easy to find..

Posting torrent info in your very own thread, about your own book that you don't want to be pirated: Priceless :rolleyes

Thalion 15 May 2008 23:21

If you think you have to stop the book because of a torrent of the older version of the book then do it. I think thats quite stupid. Anybody who was iunterested in the book would have bought it.
But a PDF version would be better anyways. Less costs and eclectronc books have a lot more advantages. But as i kniow APC-TCP for some time know i know you'll never learn it.

AndreasM 15 May 2008 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalion (Post 414270)
If you think you have to stop the book because of a torrent of the older version of the book then do it. I think thats quite stupid. Anybody who was iunterested in the book would have bought it.
But a PDF version would be better anyways. Less costs and eclectronc books have a lot more advantages. But as i kniow APC-TCP for some time know i know you'll never learn it.

you know that Ralph decide this and not APC&TCP???

Marcuz 15 May 2008 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreasM (Post 414271)
you know that Ralph decide this and not APC&TCP???

that is the reason you felt to post this news yourself also here?

EmuChicken 16 May 2008 00:57

@ Andreas, I doubt you'd sell that many even if it wasn't pirated online. . .

coze 16 May 2008 01:31

Quote:

bah, after years of reading papers on the screen, I'ld say nothing is like having the real book in your hand and reading on your sofa. There're a lot of distractions, bells and whistles on my (and most) peoples computers, so it's not a very good reading environment. Also puts a strain on the eyes. I'ld rather pay and get a professionally printed version if it was available, and pay mr Babel for the hard work. But since he doesn't want it, we have to pirate it. Well thanks for the hard work anyway, Ralph !

AndreasM 16 May 2008 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco pedrana (Post 414275)
that is the reason you felt to post this news yourself also here?

We have start the project and now we must place the reason why the project is discintinued.

Marcuz 16 May 2008 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreasM (Post 414330)
We have start the project and now we must place the reason why the project is discintinued.

yeah i love overkill

AndreasM 16 May 2008 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco pedrana (Post 414336)
yeah i love overkill

when you love it, ok.

i am not. i would like print the book.

HOL2001 16 May 2008 10:26

Quote:

If you think you have to stop the book because of a torrent of the older version of the book then do it. I think thats quite stupid. Anybody who was interested in the book would have bought it.
But a PDF version would be better anyway. Less costs and electronic books have a lot more advantages. But as i know APC-TCP for some time know i know you'll never learn it.

Yes, I see it in the same way! ;)

Shoonay 16 May 2008 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by coze (Post 414286)
[...] after years of reading papers on the screen, I'ld say nothing is like having the real book in your hand and reading on your sofa.

Finally! :bowdown Some else who sees the truth! :great

chiark 16 May 2008 11:10

First off, I didn't realise we were talking about the *old* version of the book being made available on torrents. I'd assumed it was the updated version...

Question: if someone downloads the old version, might they want to own the new, updated version in physical copy? This could actually be a damn fine sales plan!

I've had a few email exchanges with Ralph and it seems his mind is made up. He's not in it for the money at all, and is extremely disappointed that someone went to the effort to scan the old version when they knew a new version was coming. It almost seems that he's wanting to teach the community a lesson. I don't think it'll work, but it's his call.

Thalion 16 May 2008 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by coze (Post 414286)
bah, after years of reading papers on the screen, I'ld say nothing is like having the real book in your hand and reading on your sofa. There're a lot of distractions, bells and whistles on my (and most) peoples computers, so it's not a very good reading environment. Also puts a strain on the eyes. I'ld rather pay and get a professionally printed version if it was available, and pay mr Babel for the hard work. But since he doesn't want it, we have to pirate it. Well thanks for the hard work anyway, Ralph !

I agree with you that printed books are better than ebooks. But if its about the money ebooks are a way cheaper to produce.
And if you want to read without disrtaction either disable your sound or simply print it out. :)

cosmicfrog 16 May 2008 11:41

It`s sad to see another disgruntled amiga fan but what do you expect when a book that obscure and hard 2 get. so its no wonder it got ported to a digital form, to say they did this when a new version is on way I don't` understand the link

also what life lesson can we draw from all this that haven`t already happened to Amiga community the oh well on with the future.

Marcuz 16 May 2008 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey_C (Post 414015)
It is already known that we try to reprint the English Amiga Guru Book by Ralph Babel.
Some additions were also planned to the original book.
The German Amiga Guru Book is available for some time now.

Nevertheless some Amiga users needed to put some pirated copies of the book online.
The print material is ready and actually we wanted to give it to the printing press.

But since several weeks there is a torrent with a pirated copy of the English Amiga Guru Book online.

Due to the fact that some Amiga users don't show up any support towards those who keep their platform up and try to supply them with information this project is hereby discontinued.

That's why the Amiga Future project AGG which should be financed through the reprint has also been discontinued.

Original statement by Ralph Babel:

Unfortunately, the release of the 800-page extended edition of the Amiga Guru Book (covering OS 3.x and beyond) scheduled for April was preempted by some fool seeding a scan of the older version into one of those pirate-to-pirate networks, eliminating all hopes of me ever being able to recover the cost of a reprint, so the project had to be stopped immediately to avoid further loss of time and money. Thank you, Keith.

http://babel.de
http://www.apc-tcp.de
:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreasM (Post 414339)
when you love it, ok.

i am not. i would like print the book.

http://www.lulu.com/it/

if there's a book available as a torrent that means the book wouldn't need no further or little work to be complete and it is just not viable to you economically to print it because of the reasons above.

so print it through an on-demand service like lulu, who wants to have it on print, he will, while you'll have some kind of money back.

anyway, either your project is dead or it is not, that's why i said this proclames by you guys are overkill.

EAB doesn't have anything to do with the torrent file on subject and i don't see how you take for granted support for a book or whatever: publishing is your businness, just that. however, best of luck for it.

jrom 16 May 2008 12:05

...And what about taking pre-orders for the updated book. I'm sure those get sold... ;) It's seems like a bit of a waste to put the update in the schredder

AndreasM 16 May 2008 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco pedrana (Post 414363)
http://www.lulu.com/it/
so print it through an on-demand service like lulu, who wants to have it on print, he will, while you'll have some kind of money back.

Ralph say no. and i dont invest more time to talk with ralph for this way...

Quote:

anyway, either your project is dead or it is not, that's why i said this proclames by you guys are overkill.
the pirate user where spread the copie kill the project.

Quote:

EAB doesn't have anything to do with the torrent file on subject and i don't see how you take for granted support for a book or whatever: publishing is your businness, just that. however, best of luck for it.
dont know.

but EAB are a part from the what kill my fun at this project. how many copies from the Guru-Book must i delete in the zone? 3? 4?
that the reason why i dont invest time to talk with Ralph for change his decide.

sure, i am the bad guy for you. but i dont kill the project! the project killed by the pirates.

Marcuz 16 May 2008 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreasM (Post 414369)
sure, i am the bad guy for you. but i dont kill the project! the project killed by the pirates.

never said you are a bad guy: i may strongly disapprove your vision in which you support this community, and i have often found your intervents a bore, but i think it's perfectly legit to pursue your success in your businness and i would do the same prolly in regard of this book publishing, if i was at your place. sincerely, best of luck.