English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   "Pure" platformers? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=44391)

Dastardly 25 April 2009 17:53

Id rather play Rainbow Islands on the Amiga than ANY other console platformer other than Super Mario World/other 2D Marios.

WhoReallyCares 25 April 2009 17:59

now you make me laugh, that platform was not even complete.
try PC engine version or better still arcade

two buttons and no push 2 jump. and you go on about stick contact points. Rbw isle need micro switch so much more any amiga platform i think of.

Dastardly 25 April 2009 18:05

I'm aware of the missing levels in the Amiga port and I'm used to playing THAT game with a stick so for me it's fine.

Glad I make you laugh.

blade002 25 April 2009 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoReallyCares (Post 540330)
now you make me laugh, that platform was not even complete.
try PC engine version or better still arcade

two buttons and no push 2 jump. and you go on about stick contact points. Rbw isle need micro switch so much more any amiga platform i think of.

Well as someone else pointed out, this is about "Platformers" not fighting or shooting games, so lets stay on course with that one.

The bottom line here mate is that many of us can be and ARE extremely accurate in our timing when using UP for Jump and i for one am absolutely terrible when using a button for jumping because it either just does NOT feel right for me or i just cannot get used to it, and i just do a hell of a lot better at jumping in a platformer when i push up.

This is not about you being "right" mate, its only about what you prefer and what you are used to using, and pushing up to jump does not make me "right" either. So please stop trying to win the argument because there is NO argument. Amiga platformers are as good as Mario ones full stop because there is no right and wrong here.

I had a mate years ago that had all the systems, such as a Megadrive, SNES, Amiga, Atari ST, C64...etc.. and i played Mario on the SNES in the day, but after spending a week or 2 on it "trying" to enjoy it, i just found myself almost smashing my friends controller and said to him "give me a fucking joystick" and i was back to the Amiga where i had a ton more enjoyment than fucking about with 400 buttons and a satellite dish sticking out its rear end ;)

Its not about getting with the times by using a Joypad, its about what works "for you" and one of the main reasons why i never owned a Console (except for an Atari 2600 & CBS Colecovision) was because of "Joypads".

Now i think its time to move on from Mario and bury the hatchet on was "once" a good platformer for many in its "2D" form (but now is just an overly used and abused franchise) but has seen its day.

:great:great:great

TCD 25 April 2009 18:30

Big up for my man blade :bowdown You took what I had on my mind and made it a post mate :great Thanks for that :spin

blade002 25 April 2009 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 540350)
Big up for my man blade :bowdown You took what I had on my mind and made it a post made :great Thanks for that :spin

Kudos to you too matey! you made some damn fine points yourself! :great:great:great:)

DH 25 April 2009 19:46

Cheers blade :bowdown if a point needed making, you did it in your post :great

@WhoReallyCares
http://www.emuasylum.com/forums/imag...lies/gripe.gifIsn't this an Amiga board :confused

Maybe TCD is right, you're only here for one thing, so http://www.emuasylum.com/forums/imag...lies/troll.gif

Let us get back on topic now :)

blade002 26 April 2009 02:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser (Post 540372)
Cheers blade :bowdown if a point needed making, you did it in your post :great

@WhoReallyCares
http://www.emuasylum.com/forums/imag...lies/gripe.gifIsn't this an Amiga board :confused

Maybe TCD is right, you're only here for one thing, so http://www.emuasylum.com/forums/imag...lies/troll.gif

Let us get back on topic now :)

Thanks mate :) actually i had a good look at all that guys posts and he either only talks about PC games or he compares Amiga games to Console ones and seems to consistent laugh about them (aka his Superfrog comment) so the guy really did only join to be a prick and to gloat about all things Nintendo & PC.

I think we can all agree that we can mention games of all sorts on here whether it be PC or Nintendo (hell we "are" playing Nintendo games in one of our gaming leagues on here) but when you've got the attitude that guy has where he claims nothing on the Amiga's catalog platform wise can match a singular Mario franchise, then thats where bias line needs to be drawn.

I think we can all agree that we would not claim that any "one" Amiga game is better than ever other Nintendo game of that genre but this is what we get from this guy and its pretentiously arrogant in its nature.

Not only did the Amiga have great games, they were gritty and musically thanks to men like Chris Huelsbeck, Richard Joseph and various other geniuses we had games of atmosphere unsurpassed for their time.

I think with the Amiga being a "computer" as well, we could appreciate the depths of programming brilliance as our 1985 hardware was consistently pushed to its limit with all the creative energy they could muster.

The Amiga was not a Console, and it was something more than 400 extra buttons.

Adropac2 26 April 2009 20:55

I think it is a point to make though that the heap of perfectly fun platformers on Amiga were never equal to what consoles were able to provide.I played and enjoyed a fair few and they were fun but never to the levels of enjoyment i had from the best console platformers.Never will Amiga have a game to match the quality of Mario or indeed many other top platformers on these more suited machines.That said consoles had a lot of generic platformers as well it's just that the likes of more skilled platform game designers Nintendo, Capcom and Konami etc were developing pretty much only for consoles and they had the more suitable hardware too.Amiga couldn't hope to match what you saw on console

Doesn't mean a person can't enjoy more the time he's having on an Amiga platformer, it's just that i find the idea of there being a better platformer thah Mario on Amiga, as a little absurd.Fair enough if you prefer these games for whatever reason but looking purely at their design, they were very flat games regards to any game layering with little in the way of control depth - fun though yes they could be

I love the atmosphere you get when playing games on Amiga over any other machine and it's the reason i own 3 actual machines.Wether a person likes Mario's or not though, it's clear to see how they're easily the best 2d platformer ever created, and it comes down more to bias if you don't rate them - and by bias i really only mean it's not your cup of tea.Mario 2d is very intelligently written game design quite unlike what most Amiga platform games ever got to see.Games written with the understanding of the art.Just about all platform games only ever end up as fairly fun and to be honest it can't be to hard to design one of those but not something like Mario.Subjective is fine but it doesn't apply here if you ask me

I love the Amiga but i honestly can't remember spending much time with a truly special Amiga platform game unless say it was something a little different like Gods or Flashback say - Mr Nutz is probably the only one as i loved it but in truth it's hardly one of the best platformers either.For platform needs i had the Snes though

Ruff n Tumble is quite well done and if you're after something that actually does play more impressively arcade like then it's quite good.Lionheart is probably the only game i can think of right now that measures up to a console game and even trumps them visually

Personally speaking i would say Mr Nutz was distinct and by far a better experience than the console versions and Turrican 2 and 3 just felt so much more suited to the Amiga.Gods is easily the best on Amiga regards to it's more believable world atmosphere and also there are some Arcade conversions that feel perhaps even better suited to how warm that general feel you always got with Amiga games

I go between the two control types easy enough as pushing up on joystick feels obviously perfect as pressing a button does too if it's all designed specificly - up on a pad is always going to feel odd of course (unless it's Streetfighter) in the same way pressing a joystick button to jump is also at odds given most Amiga games were up

Bit of a rant then but having enjoyed lots of machines, i see good in all of them.Amiga is an awesome machine but platformers wasn't really it's strength when compared - maybe if companies like Konami, Capcom etc had bothered then perhaps that would have been different

Sounds a bit like a dig at the mighty Amiga but i adore the machine

For me atmosphere on Amiga wins every time but then that is just subjective

stefcep 28 April 2009 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Horace (Post 540163)
:laughing I love platform games, but i really couldnt disagree with this any-less than absolutely!

I love platformers like NZS, Rainbow Islands, Robocod and more.... Mario to me is frankly horrible (there will always be people with whom it doesnt sit well) and Giana-Sisters, by the same token, a horrible ugly clone. :crazy

That's my opinion however, but to be -so- dismissive of Amiga platforms by the token of 'mario is better' really cracks me up.

Some of use actually prefer using up-to-jump by the way ;)

For me, Dastardly has already provided a list of the cream-of-the-crop.

Actually I come FROM Amiga and only in the last 12 months did I play a Mario 2D game. Not a Nintendo fanboy by any means, but I call it as I se it. Super Mario Bros and the sequels on SNES and NDS are as good as you'll see from a platformer, anywhere. The level design, the difficulty curve, the tight controls all PERFECT. Its not for nothing that Super Mario Bros has been voted by many journalists in the top 2-3 video games in video game history.

TCD 28 April 2009 11:26

I remember when SMW got ratings of 96% here and I thought 'well even if it's a really good game that is for sure overrated'. Mario is a nice platformer, but I would rate many others at the same level, if not above. Can't say that the level design really blew me away, but it's far from bad for sure.

stefcep 28 April 2009 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser (Post 540283)
@WhoReallyCares

Having a gamepad that has a button that does everything conceivable, IMHO, is just pointless and boring, but having to use a one buttoned joystick and having to work things out to actually achieve something in the platformer uses the ingeniousness of the person.

No "having to use a one buttoned joystick and having to work things out to actually achieve something in the platformer uses" is a source of frustration that makes the game harder to play than it is. I grew up with one button joysticks, and since buying a SNES, have never looked back at playing a platformer the "old way".

frikilokooo 28 April 2009 12:03

It's amazing what you can do with a stick and a single button.Play Budokan for instance you can execute over 10 different blows and very easy or Goal! making low pass,high pass;low,medium and high shots;diferents head shots and scissor shots:shocked

I think the games would have been improved if a second button is available but not to jump,I prefer play Lionheart with only one button but Turrican 2 no.Anyway There are many games with two buttons available:)

Graham Humphrey 28 April 2009 13:06

As this thread has long since gone off-topic I've split all OT posts into this new thread...

Hungry Horace 28 April 2009 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefcep (Post 541494)
No "having to use a one buttoned joystick and having to work things out to actually achieve something in the platformer uses" is a source of frustration that makes the game harder to play than it is. I grew up with one button joysticks, and since buying a SNES, have never looked back at playing a platformer the "old way".

It's a source of frustration to you maybe, but you cant surely be naive enough to say that's true of everyone? It's like some people like Playstation Pads. Some people hate them. I have certainly never been frustrated by using up-to-jump.

I love some of the "facts" presented in this topic. "mario ... The level design, the difficulty curve, the tight controls all PERFECT" ... I dont even like use of 'running', the gravity level, the technique for removing enemies. for -me- it fails across the board compared to other games. i wouldnt be stupid enough to say it's a crap game, but I dont like it, and dont see why I should have to defend that opinion.

Quote:

Its not for nothing that Super Mario Bros has been voted by many journalists in the top 2-3 video games in video game history.
Yeah, the power of mass-marketting goes a long way.

lilalurl 28 April 2009 14:15

Thanks Graham.

I can understand why some people enjoyed SMB3, Super Mario World or consider that Mario64 came as a model for future 3D platforming, although I never really enjoyed them.

SMB1 I could never understand why people like it: Weird inertia and bad collision detection (maybe it was good when the NES came out but I never touched a NES before the 90s).
To quote one SMB3 review from GameFAQs (also mentionning SMB1):
Quote:

Worst of all easily relegates the game to a 9 -- the collision detection. ''Collision detection'', in case you didn't know, means how you make contact with enemies and items. ''Super Mario Bros.'' had terrible collision detection, but ''SMB3'', five years later, makes little or no improvement, and it can be a problem. If you don't jump exactly on the enemy, you could get hurt. Watch out for them Micro-Goombas -- it's easy to get killed instead of making a successful jump. Various contact problems occur every now and then throughout the game.
As for it being a "pure" platformer sorry but no:
1) http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thum...ire_Flower.png

2) water/swimming levels

frikilokooo 28 April 2009 14:24

SMBI I have no spotted bad collisions:shocked,I have played it a lot and is a perfect masterpiece

TCD 28 April 2009 14:26

Pah, Turrican 2 to rule them all \o/ :bowdown
What do you mean with 'that's not a real platformer'?!? I'm not listening, na na nanana... :p

pbareges 28 April 2009 14:48

Play superfrog without cheating to the end ..then you canhave an advice on mario-like amiga platformers..an original amiga production with its own features that will keep you busy for weeks!

TCD 28 April 2009 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbareges (Post 541603)
Play superfrog without cheating to the end

Been there, done that ;) Indeed a very nice platformer for the Miggy :agree I know many people think it's rubbish, but I really enjoyed playing it.