English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   History of Ocean Book - pre-orders now being taken (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=71333)

Mark Wright 15 December 2013 02:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codetapper (Post 922270)
I'm starting up a kickstarter campaign myself to write a "History of Tiertex" book, pre-orders are being taken now. Galahad has already indicated he'll want several copies to read on the bus, toilet etc...

It will detail the history of the company and interviewing all their TOP programmers, especially Donald "Rolling Thunder, Street Fighter, Human Killing Machine" Campbell and Dr John "Strider, Dynasty Wars" Prince who released their most memorable titles ;)

Put me down for one please, but I do worry that I'll be in such a hurry to pay just before the deadline that I'll fumble the transfer and pay the money into the wrong account, just to get it done in time. Maybe if that happens, you'll re-open the Kickstarter for me (maybe call it the US Edition?) and let me have another go at getting it right.

Any plans for a Kindle version? To keep costs down, you could just make a WAP version for Nokia phones then port it over? I don't mind if the pages jerk while turning, or if it's still typset in a crude Nokia WAP font. Hey, even lose one of the chapters in the port-over too if there's isn't room! I've never been fussy about this sort of thing! Who cares!? To get it done is the main thing.

As you can tell, I'm a life-long fan of Probe. Oops, sorry, just switched sides for a second there (while turning a bend) I meant Tiertex. Obviously.

Codetapper 15 December 2013 03:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Wright (Post 926876)
Put me down for one please, but I do worry that I'll be in such a hurry to pay just before the deadline that I'll fumble the transfer and pay the money into the wrong account, just to get it done in time. Maybe if that happens, you'll re-open the Kickstarter for me (maybe call it the US Edition?) and let me have another go at getting it right.

Any plans for a Kindle version? To keep costs down, you could just make a WAP version for Nokia phones then port it over? I don't mind if the pages jerk while turning, or if it's still typset in a crude Nokia WAP font. Hey, even lose one of the chapters in the port-over too if there's isn't room! I've never been fussy about this sort of thing! Who cares!? To get it done is the main thing.

As you can tell, I'm a life-long fan of Probe. Oops, sorry, just switched sides for a second there (while turning a bend) I meant Tiertex. Obviously.

It wouldn't be an accurate Tiertex book if entire chapters weren't missing. The teaser stuff on the back cover will relate to a different version of the book, but imply it's the book you're reading.

The UK version of the book will have the bottom fifth of each page completely blank.

There will of course be a thorough contents section, but at the end of the book there will be a "please turn to page 1 to continue reading" so you can never finish it.

I'm thinking 250 pounds is a fair price for this piece of history.

Mark Wright 15 December 2013 04:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codetapper (Post 926879)
It wouldn't be an accurate Tiertex book if entire chapters weren't missing. The teaser stuff on the back cover will relate to a different version of the book, but imply it's the book you're reading.

The UK version of the book will have the bottom fifth of each page completely blank.

There will of course be a thorough contents section, but at the end of the book there will be a "please turn to page 1 to continue reading" so you can never finish it.

I'm thinking 250 pounds is a fair price for this piece of history.

I'd only pay that sort of money if it needlessly came as two books - with maybe 20 pages of text in the second book, the other 180 pages blank. Of course, only one book would be necessary if you find a way to use all of the available space and remove that massive Tiertex logo from the top of each page.

In other news, looking forward to my copy of the Ocean book arriving. I wonder though will it cover any of the things I'm interested in that have gone largely undocumented so far, namely (1) the use of Jon Dunn's GB "Robocop" tune in the Ariston TV advert; (2) the real story behind the Robocop 3 dongle debacle; (3) Ocean's 8-bit tapes were famously commercially bootlegged/pirated - were the culprits ever caught?; (4) a sense of the atmosphere at Central Street during the botched development of Street Hawk and Knight Rider that almost caused another Imagine-style crash; (5) an explanation of just how JW/DW managed to disuade the *entire* popular computing press from exposing the unfair/unethical monopoly/strangehold on the market that linking up with Geoff Brown's Centresoft/US Gold created - the answer here is doubtless the £1000s spent on advertising each month, but there was definitely something very iffy about the relationship between Centresoft/Ocean and the editorial of several respected magazines at times. Does the book dig deep into this, or is it just filled with deferential backslappery? Time will tell :-)

Lonewolf10 21 December 2013 14:09

I received my book this morning. I have been slowly flicking through the book (starting from the back) and it is excellent. Some computers/consoles are pictured that I never knew about, loads of pictures of the staff and artwork, plus loads and loads to read which I will try to do over christmas.
I'm glad I bought this :)

amuleth 26 December 2013 04:48

Why are all amiga related books' prices too high (esp. Kickstarted ones)? For the only elite people or this is standart book price in the UK? I don't live there sorry, and with our currency it is beyond my league.

Paul_s 26 December 2013 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by amuleth (Post 929007)
Why are all amiga related books' prices too high (esp. Kickstarted ones)? For the only elite people or this is standart book price in the UK? I don't live there sorry, and with our currency it is beyond my league.

I'm not familiar with the currency of Karamoon? :D

I guess these kinds of books are pricey due to the low-ish demand they generate (printing costs, R&D etc).

For £25 posted in the UK i think it's a good price :)

boyo 07 January 2014 21:45

You can now buy the PDF of the Ocean book on a new site here : http://www.oceanthehistory.co.uk

If you have bought and received the book, then please do leave your views of the book in the new forum. Thanks.

Mark Wright 11 January 2014 03:31

I bought this before Christmas and it was delivered promptly in pristine condition.

First impressions are that you really do feel you're getting your money's worth - embossed glossy cover, glossy photo-filled colour pages throughout, glossy Bob Wakelin artwork section, glossy profiles of ex-Ocean staff with glossy photos of ageing, balding men.

It's largely typo-free, well-written and sensibly organised, with an interview-driven chronological history of the company occupying the first section, the remainder largely dedicated to anecdotal stuff from Ocean's various luminaries. It will take you several days to read. You'll enjoy the snippets of dark humour (typical of 1980s software development) scattered through the second section. For non-Retro Gamer readers and/or non-visitors to The Ocean Experience website/forum, you'll learn some new stuff.

All in all, it does the job required of it.

However, my main criticism is that, given the intention was presumably to provide a definitive tome, the book represents a missed opportunity as there is so much left unanswered. It's clearly a labour of love and is very detailed, but either the compilers shyed away from certain topics so as not to upset the contributors, or they were not well-informed to start with, relying upon interviewees to drive the narrative.

It's more of a "One Show" account of such a controversial company, rather than an intense "Newsnight" interrogation. I suppose the book is meant as a celebration of Ocean, so that's perhaps understandable. Still, I would have liked more depth.

Ultimately, it's fantastic to be able to own such a quality item, focused on such niche subject matter. What an age we live in! Yet, I suspect hardened nerds such as myself will be disappointed by the shallow yield of exclusive juicy gossip, due largely to the obsequious approach. On the other hand, if you're the sort of person who constantly marvels at those glossy £10 Retro Gamer Bookazines, you'll treasure this. Either way, but it!

"Absolutely Brilliant!!!!" - Gary Bracey
"Burn all your other books, this is the only one you need!" - A. Historian

dlfrsilver 11 January 2014 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyo (Post 931714)
You can now buy the PDF of the Ocean book on a new site here : http://www.oceanthehistory.co.uk

If you have bought and received the book, then please do leave your views of the book in the new forum. Thanks.

i have bought the book as PDF, and i got nothing, is it normal ?

EDIT : even worse, i have registered myself, and now it says that i'm unknown !

I have the paypal recept of what i have bought, can you do something about it ?

manic23 11 January 2014 19:30

Dam this website for costing me so much money! This book looks awesome, I have just ordered it.

boyo 11 January 2014 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 932347)
i have bought the book as PDF, and i got nothing, is it normal ?

EDIT : even worse, i have registered myself, and now it says that i'm unknown !

I have the paypal recept of what i have bought, can you do something about it ?

The new site had to be rebuilt - sent you the PDF and link to the digital version.

manic23 25 January 2014 20:04

How long does this take to come, ordered mine on the 11th Jan, no sign of it yet. Thanks.

Adrian Browne 26 January 2014 03:44

Looks like Ill have to order this next month. Ive already ordered the history of sega book.

boyo 26 January 2014 21:25

Guys, the first batch of books sold out quite quickly. The second batch were slightly delayed from the printers, but should be with me Wednesday - I can then send them out. Thanks for your patience.

manic23 27 January 2014 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyo (Post 934840)
Guys, the first batch of books sold out quite quickly. The second batch were slightly delayed from the printers, but should be with me Wednesday - I can then send them out. Thanks for your patience.

OK no prob, thanks for letting us know

manic23 05 February 2014 19:37

I received the book today. Thanks, it is a lovely book very good quality with nice embossed logo on cover and colour pictures. I will enjoy reading this.

boyo 05 February 2014 23:52

:)

I have 30 or spare from this batch - so if anyone would like one quick :)

http://www.oceanthehistory.co.uk

Steve 06 February 2014 09:23

Just ordered mine. Looking forward to it

Galahad/FLT 06 February 2014 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Wright (Post 932301)
I bought this before Christmas and it was delivered promptly in pristine condition.

First impressions are that you really do feel you're getting your money's worth - embossed glossy cover, glossy photo-filled colour pages throughout, glossy Bob Wakelin artwork section, glossy profiles of ex-Ocean staff with glossy photos of ageing, balding men.

It's largely typo-free, well-written and sensibly organised, with an interview-driven chronological history of the company occupying the first section, the remainder largely dedicated to anecdotal stuff from Ocean's various luminaries. It will take you several days to read. You'll enjoy the snippets of dark humour (typical of 1980s software development) scattered through the second section. For non-Retro Gamer readers and/or non-visitors to The Ocean Experience website/forum, you'll learn some new stuff.

All in all, it does the job required of it.

However, my main criticism is that, given the intention was presumably to provide a definitive tome, the book represents a missed opportunity as there is so much left unanswered. It's clearly a labour of love and is very detailed, but either the compilers shyed away from certain topics so as not to upset the contributors, or they were not well-informed to start with, relying upon interviewees to drive the narrative.

It's more of a "One Show" account of such a controversial company, rather than an intense "Newsnight" interrogation. I suppose the book is meant as a celebration of Ocean, so that's perhaps understandable. Still, I would have liked more depth.

Ultimately, it's fantastic to be able to own such a quality item, focused on such niche subject matter. What an age we live in! Yet, I suspect hardened nerds such as myself will be disappointed by the shallow yield of exclusive juicy gossip, due largely to the obsequious approach. On the other hand, if you're the sort of person who constantly marvels at those glossy £10 Retro Gamer Bookazines, you'll treasure this. Either way, but it!

"Absolutely Brilliant!!!!" - Gary Bracey
"Burn all your other books, this is the only one you need!" - A. Historian

From that I gather there won't be much about RoboCop 3, its copy protection bragging and its lightning fast demise as a tool to beat crackers?

Higgy 06 February 2014 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 936626)
From that I gather there won't be much about RoboCop 3, its copy protection bragging and its lightning fast demise as a tool to beat crackers?

Ah yes, I remember in the day Amiga Format(?) or another mag going on about how the 'dongle' was the best. Then a cracker group very soon afterwards, posted a copy of the game to them working without the dongle! DOH!

I really liked that game. Really made me feel like you were in a virtual world.