English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Individual Computers - New accelerator cards for A600 & A1200 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55059)

A500Man 22 October 2011 23:09

Have a look:

http://www.vesalia.de/?V02b0f13595e4...c1e69485b145c6

:shocked

desiv 22 October 2011 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by A500Man (Post 781781)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vesalia
The MMU can not only be used to map a Kickstart ROM image to FastMem, it's also crucial for WHDLoad

Someone better tell the WHDLoad people.. I don't think they know an MMU is "crucial" for WHDLoad..
:laughing

Gotta love the hype..

It's a great piece of kit.. No need to hype like that..
I love my 1230/28 (withOUT the crucial MMU...)!!

(Even tho it just gave me a heart attack... I replaced my CF-IDE adapter with one that will work with the HD LED just now and when I put it all back together, the computer didn't work.. Thought I had burned out the IDE chip or whatever.. Then I remembered my 1230 had a "touchy" fit.. Re-seated it a bit, working happy again.. Whew! :-)

desiv
p.s Not implying that the 1230 is touchy!!! My 8M FastRAM card was the same!!!

Mr B 23 October 2011 00:15

Cant find a link, but i think there is an issue with the ACA1230, MMU, and WHDLoad. Is this issue perhaps "reworked" with the ACA1231? Pretty much it meant the MMU had to be disabled for WHDLoad to work, or else it froze up. Wasn't much of an issue, since MMU was default disabled on 68030 for WHDLoading... But if i remember right, Bert claimed it was something the ACA1230 did with some MMU things, that caused the freeze. And Jens claimed it was WHDLoad misbehaving. And it was pretty much agreed on that it wouldn't be solved. Havent been able to try the latest WHDLoad, so Bert might have included a workaround, or Jens fixed the new design... But if not then the MMU bit of the sales pitch is not only slightly exaggerating, but outright wrong ;- )
B!

_mandark_ 23 October 2011 01:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr B (Post 781792)
But if i remember right, Bert claimed it was something the ACA1230 did with some MMU things, that caused the freeze. And Jens claimed it was WHDLoad misbehaving. And it was pretty much agreed on that it wouldn't be solved. Havent been able to try the latest WHDLoad, so Bert might have included a workaround, or Jens fixed the new design... But if not then the MMU bit of the sales pitch is not only slightly exaggerating, but outright wrong ;- )
B!

Jens had a chat with Bert and fixed the issue (WHDLoad accesing the MMU in a non standard-compliant way) in hardware by a CPLD update.

Mr B 23 October 2011 03:50

I should have remembered that. I even "complained" that we would have to pay to get it fixed. I take it the new versions are fixed then.
B!

Synthesize Me 23 October 2011 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by A500Man (Post 781781)

NOOOOOOOO! :banghead
If only I would have known this would come out only FOUR MONTHS after I bought mine! The point mentioning how the 1231 is now compatible with all motherboard revisions is exactly what I would of needed this one for instead of the regular 1230 since it doesn't work in one of my Amigas (the one I bought it for!)...

Mr B 23 October 2011 11:41

It's slower, clock for clock, and if there is nothing "wrong" with your old card, you could just find someone to trade one of the new for yours, or simply sell yours, and get a new card. Heck, if you've been closer to me i'd offer to buy yours, and hold on to it until someone else needs it, or my own breaks... (the later should hopefully never happen.)
What i mean is yours isn't a unattractive piece of kit, you just got unlucky, and haven't wanted to fix the problems your self. (As far as i know all 1230 have been made to work with all revisions, after a bit of investigating, and updating of the motherboard?)
B!

Lord Aga 23 October 2011 11:57

It seems that the new 1231 card, being somewhat more compact, has no trouble with the trap door and the surroundings. Is that so ?

fryguy 23 October 2011 12:50

Any news on Indivision AGA MK2?

chocolate_boy 23 October 2011 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryguy (Post 781839)
Any news on Indivision AGA MK2?

I too am keen for any news, desperately waiting for it for 2 years now, was hoping it'll finally materialize this month.

Schoenfeld 23 October 2011 17:34

5 Attachment(s)
Attached some info on the new card:

- Sysinfo screenshot showing more MIPS than the Blizzard 1230-IV@50MHz.

- bustest screenshot of an early speedtest (before 00c0.000-mem and kickstart mapping was implemented)

- AIBB screenshot after making a full module and the module itself

- screenshot of "FcCheck" tool from WHDload. This shows that this new card ignores WHDload's message "I don't want to access memory" and lets it access memory anyway (which is what an A500 does).

Greetings from Sacramento,
Jens

jman 23 October 2011 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr B (Post 781827)
It's slower, clock for clock

Hi, based on what it is slower? I'd be interested on reading more about it.

This said, Individual clearly needs someone to keep the website updated. I don't find very useful (for them and for customers) releasing products all of a sudden. It's ok taking all the time that is needed, no need to pump the hype months earlier, but... there must a good compromise ;-)

Omolungo 23 October 2011 18:11

Ehi Jens, can you tell us something about the ACA520? :rolleyes

Mr B 23 October 2011 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman (Post 781885)
Hi, based on what it is slower? I'd be interested on reading more about it.

I think it was mentioned in this thread earlier. The reason the card is touchy is pretty much down to the same reasons it gets so good performance. So sacrificing "some" performance, to gain compatibility would make it slower. Should be easy enough to confirm or deny once the cards start finding a home with users. Run sysinfo and leave feedback.
B!

Schoenfeld 24 October 2011 02:22

The card is slower in syncing to the A1200 motherboard, because it runs async to the A1200. This takes some time, as you can see on the Bustest screenshot. This may or may not make flaky motherboards more compatible - tests in the field will have to show this. Don't expect too much - there are lots of boards out there that have true assembly errors, and I have described how to fix them. Also, many instability problems are caused by the power supply, and a new accelerator can't do wonders if the +5V line has ripple.

Jens

fgh 24 October 2011 10:24

Finally installed my new ACA630, and I have difficulties finding the acatune software and the acatune manual.
Nothing on icomp.de, vesalia or amigakit, as far as I can see.
The acatune V102B6 linked in this thread does not contain the manual, and the post is labelled 'ACAtune for ACA1230-42'. Is this version suitable for ACA630?

I did read this entire thread several months ago, but I cannot remember the details, and don't really want to go through all that again.

Does anyone know where I can download ACA630 ACATune and its manual?

Bamiga2002 24 October 2011 10:45

Download ACATune 1.0 package (on page 51) it contains manual.

norecess 04 November 2011 14:12

Damn, I just realized this : http://www.vesalia.de/e_aca630-25.htm
Which clearly says : Please note: The ACA 630 does not work with A300 boards!

I wrote several months ago about the ACA 630 being incompatible with A603, having no sound with some WHDLoad demos.. I thought the A603 being defective so I bought the A604... no luck.

So I guess that was it : I just discovered/realized I have a A300 board :-(

Is a software update planned to fix this incompatibility ? Is there an hardware patch I can do for it ? (on the A300 board)
Or am I screwed for real with it? :-(

Best regards from Canada!

Schoenfeld 04 November 2011 16:09

The A300 board has a -01 Gayle, which is partly fixed with a GAL. I haven't managed to get the accelerator to work with the -01 Gayle. The only "fix" I can think of would be to install the -02 Gayle.

Jens

Predseda 22 November 2011 12:05

Jens: (i dont know, if it was answered before as there is 56 pages currently) - could you tell me, how the sales of ACA accelerators were/are going? I think - they go well / satisfactorily (everything sold), or could be better, or it is dissapointing? Or maybe FOL could answer this?